Uninstalls and the registry?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by The Crow, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. The Crow

    The Crow Guest

    Hi.
    I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new network
    device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
    manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former install
    the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The uninstall
    process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers half
    installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install sends
    the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself, does
    not work. If you follow me.

    So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
    deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope that
    the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
    programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
    before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.

    So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's been
    here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
    desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys with
    the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
    associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.

    The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm guessing
    it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very frustrated.
    Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this one
    network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
    perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I tried
    it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
    messages when using regedit.

    If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
    before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start again?
    Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
    distraction! Thansk.
    The Crow, Apr 23, 2004

  2. The Crow

    HF Guest

    You will have to track down and delete the offending items.
    "The Crow" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > I'm running Win2K. I just tried to install the drivers for a new network
    > device of mine, but they did not install propperly. I tried to use the
    > manufacturers cd to reinstall the drivers, but presencing a former install
    > the cd installation defaults automatically to an uninstall. The uninstall
    > process does not seem to run propperly. I have malfunctioning drivers

    half
    > installed that I cannot uninstall because the first, failed, install sends
    > the installation programme straight to uninstall mode, which, itself, does
    > not work. If you follow me.
    >
    > So I did what may turn out to have been a stupid thing, and mannually
    > deleted all the files associated with my network device, in the hope that
    > the pc would then run the installation cd as an actual installation
    > programme. No joy, it's obviously still sensing that it has been here
    > before, it still tries, and fails, to uninstall, every time I run it.
    >
    > So then I thought, maybe it's registry keys that are telling it it's been
    > here before. My knowledge of registry workings is limited, but, getting
    > desperate, I ran regedit and, using the find option, deleted any keys with
    > the hardware in the title. Some keys would not delete though, things
    > associated with Device Desk? I don't know what this means.
    >
    > The installer cd still defaults to uninstall after a reboot. I'm guessing
    > it must be those keys that I could not delete. I'm getting very

    frustrated.
    > Surely I'm not going to have to reinstall windows just to install this one
    > network device? Is there any software, more aggressive than regedit
    > perhaps, that will allow me to delete the keys I couldn't access? I tried
    > it in safe mode, but know joy there either, I just get access denied
    > messages when using regedit.
    >
    > If I can convince my PC it's never seen this hardware or these drivers
    > before, perhaps I can run a fresh install of the software and start again?
    > Any advice welcomed, am going mad and loosing work time through the
    > distraction! Thansk.

    ---
    HF, Apr 23, 2004

  3. The Crow

    The Crow Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > You will have to track down and delete the offending items.

    I have tried that, but Regedit says 'access denied' for some of the registry
    entries linked to the equipment, the ones I'm trying to get rid of. I'm
    just wondering if a third party registry editor would be a little more
    aggressive and enable me to delete these ones too, the ones that regedit
    says it can't touch.

    The Crow, Apr 23, 2004
  4. The Crow

    Jerry G. Guest

    Just a note here: If you want help with things, you should use an
    appropriate return address of some type. You can use a NOSPAM in the proper
    name.

    Having limited knowledge is dangerous when going in to the registry! I
    would guess that you did not make a backup of the registry before adding
    anything. We always back up the registry before making any changes or
    installing any new software. We also do a complete system backup to the
    backup drive.

    I have a feeling that you did some really nice damage to the registry. At
    this point, I would strongly suggest a re-installation of Win2000. The
    registry is very complex, and there is much more than to simply delete file
    names in it. There are many complex numeric sequences, and addressing that
    go along with installed drivers, and some software's.

    Before re-installation of the operating system, you can try to run one of
    the registry fixing software's. If it is too badly damaged, this will not
    work, but it is worth a try. There is regclean from MS. You may find this
    utility at http://www.downloads.com or one of these types of sites.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry G.