    computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    ...... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    , Jun 26, 2006

  2. Cub Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    Boot from the XP CD and follow the instructions, this will wipe all data
    from your disk SO BACKUP FIRST.

    Cub, Jun 26, 2006

  3. uker Guest

    > Hi,
    > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    Depending on your problems You can just put in your XP disk and install over
    the top of the other installation.. But If its a serious problem Then you
    might have to re-wipe your hard drive.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    uker, Jun 26, 2006
  4. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    What problems? You might need to do some simple housecleaning of the
    registry.

    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    Many times programs leave behind a trail of crap in the registry which only
    slows things down and eventually, so slow it becomes a nightmare.
    Once you run this program, your machine will start up as if it were new.
    I've used it for years and run it a few times a month.
    After that, should you still need to do a reinstall, do it from scratch.
    Otherwise what's in the registry will not be touched and the same problems
    will continue.

    richard, Jun 26, 2006
  5. sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    To do it right, you will need a windows disc, and whatever hardware drivers
    your computer will need. At the bare minimum, you should obtain LAN or modem
    drivers, so that after installing windows, you can connect to the internet to
    retrieve any other drivers you might need.

    If you boot from the windows CD, you will be able to reformat your drive, and
    install a fresh copy of windows. You will probably be AMAZED at how fast a
    nice fresh install will run, especially if your DELL is newer, they come
    LOADED TO THE GILLS with CRAPWARE.
    If you really want to set up your system right, create a partition between 15
    and 20 gigs, and install windows on it. Then keep all your data and programs
    that can be used without re-installing on a separate partition. That way when
    it's time to freshen up windows, or restore a drive image, you won't lose
    critical files.
    You could also go get another hard-drive, and install windows on it. Then
    plug your old one back in, and use it for data/storage, etc. That would also
    allow you to go back to your old install of windows if you fail to set up the
    new one, and leave all your files and documents untouched.
    You could make a partition on your current HD with something like partition
    magic, and install windows to that, allowing you to switch between the 2
    installs, but that is slightly risky, I've seen data lost when creating
    partitions.

    Most dells come with some kind of system restore, you could possibly run
    that, but you would still be stuck with the system that they shipped.

    sittingduck, Jun 26, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    Do you have disks or a Dell Restore partition? And if you have disks,
    which ones are they? Recovery disks or a Windows reinstallation CD?

    For information about the Dell Restore partition, look here:

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jun 26, 2006
  7. Guest

    hi
    i have reinstallation disks for all the dell software for windows xp,
    drivers and whatnot ...
    i do know that i have to back up everything i have on puter . or it
    will be gone for good ....just not sure if all i had to do was pop
    those cd`s in other did i need to do other things
    meg

    Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    > > computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    > > ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    > Do you have disks or a Dell Restore partition? And if you have disks,
    > which ones are they? Recovery disks or a Windows reinstallation CD?
    >
    > For information about the Dell Restore partition, look here:
    >
    > http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm
    >
    > --
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk
    >
    > Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    > without the balls to live in the real world.
    > Mary Shafer Iliff

    , Jun 27, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > hi
    > i have reinstallation disks for all the dell software for windows xp,
    > drivers and whatnot ...
    > i do know that i have to back up everything i have on puter . or it
    > will be gone for good ....just not sure if all i had to do was pop
    > those cd`s in other did i need to do other things
    > meg

    Because you have the reinstallation disks, follow the links uker gave
    you earlier in the thread.

    Read everything, including any additional links, and print it out before
    you start.

    Luck.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jun 27, 2006
  9. djorourke Guest

    You need to wipe out the hard drive thru reformatting using restore disc
    that comes with the computer,then reinstall xp. if you can't go to a tech
    and have the hard drive done or insall a new bigger drive , dan tulsa
    9187476199

    djorourke, Jun 28, 2006
  10. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:21:39 -0500, "djorourke" <> wrote:

    >You need to wipe out the hard drive thru reformatting using restore disc
    >that comes with the computer,then reinstall xp. if you can't go to a tech
    >and have the hard drive done or insall a new bigger drive , dan tulsa
    >9187476199

    He needs to learn punctuation and how to avoid top posting, otherwise
    he can just boot from the install cd and follow the prompts.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> i`m trying to get information on how to unistall windows xp on my dell
    >> computer and then reinstall it .........due to problems with programs
    >> ..... can anyone help me ? i`d be grateful for the help ....

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og