    version. I hope I've made sense!
    TIA
    Phil
    pp, Nov 11, 2008

  2. pp

    CaptT Guest

    "pp" <> wrote in message
    news:iqdSk.36699$2...
    > Hi
    >
    > How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    > I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    > earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
    > to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
    > particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
    > but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
    > version. I hope I've made sense!
    > TIA
    > Phil

    Done this myself. Answer is to reinstall program which will overwrite but
    include the required uninstall bit. Then away you go.

    Capt
    CaptT, Nov 11, 2008

  3. pp

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    pp wrote:
    > One particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot
    > uninstall but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall
    > the previous version. I hope I've made sense!

    Crystal ball is not working here so I can't tell which of the hundreds
    of possible AV programs and their versions you are talking about.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 11, 2008
  4. pp

    CaptT Guest

    Ah I see!!!! so many ¬stalls that i lost sight of the reinsatll. If it
    happens to be mcfee they have a cleaner program that wipes previous traces
    away. Perhaps other makers have the same cleaners??
    CaptT, Nov 11, 2008
  5. On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:48:46 +0000, pp aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > Hi
    >
    > How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    > I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    > earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable to
    > uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
    > particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall but
    > I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
    > version. I hope I've made sense!
    > TIA
    > Phil

    Learn to do some surgery in the registry?
    Search the registry for the name of the program and delete the keys until
    nothing shows when you F3 or "search again".
    Might break yer compooter tho...but I'm a snotty linux user so
    AFAIAC...you'd be better off using linux :)

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 11, 2008
  6. pp

    Juan Kerr Guest

    Juan Kerr, Nov 11, 2008
  7. pp

    chuckcar Guest

    "pp" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    > I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    > earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
    > to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file.
    > One particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot
    > uninstall but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall
    > the previous version. I hope I've made sense!
    > TIA
    > Phil

    Install it over itself - the *same* version - it matters. And then reboot
    and uninstall it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 12, 2008
  8. pp

    lars Guest

    pp skrev:
    > Hi
    >
    > How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    > I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    > earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable to
    > uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
    > particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall but
    > I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
    > version. I hope I've made sense!
    > TIA
    > Phil

    Just remove the directory where it's installed.
    lars, Nov 12, 2008
  9. pp

    pp Guest

    Thanks everyone. It's sorted now.

    Phil

    pp, Nov 12, 2008
  10. pp

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:46:30 -0000, "pp"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks everyone. It's sorted now.
    >
    >Phil
    >

    >"pp" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    >> I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    >> earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
    >> to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
    >> particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
    >> but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
    >> version. I hope I've made sense!
    >> TIA
    >> Phil

    Well, what did you do to resolve the problem. Its nice to tell the
    nice people who helped you so that they can help others. Some people
    will learn from your answer, maybe.
    joevan, Nov 12, 2008
  11. pp

    pp Guest

    Yes it is and I did mean to actually. I'm afraid I can't help anyone as it
    uninstalled after a couple of reboots. The antivirus in question was Virgin
    Media's PC Guard. It's gone now anyway and the other programs required me to
    reinstall before I could uninstall.
    Thanks for all your help
    Phil

    pp, Nov 12, 2008
  12. pp

    chuckcar Guest

    "pp" <> wrote in

    > Yes it is and I did mean to actually. I'm afraid I can't help anyone as
    > it uninstalled after a couple of reboots. The antivirus in question was
    > Virgin Media's PC Guard. It's gone now anyway and the other programs
    > required me to reinstall before I could uninstall.
    > Thanks for all your help
    > Phil

    Good. That *is* the best way to make sure it's completely gone. At least
    one other suggestion wasn't near as good.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 14, 2008
  13. pp

    Theron Guest

    "pp" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > How do I uninstall programs that have the uninstall.exe missing?
    > I recently uninstalled a few programs but later restored the pc to an
    > earlier restore point. Those programs are now showing up but I am unable
    > to uninstall them as they keep asking for the missing uninstall file. One
    > particular program is an antivirus program which I now cannot uninstall
    > but I also cannot reinstall it as it says it cannot uninstall the previous
    > version. I hope I've made sense!
    > TIA
    > Phil

    I'm sure you know this but, Open Control Panel, and select Add-Remove
    programs. Scroll down to the program you want to remove and remove it.
    Antiviral programs can be a very big pain and that may not work. I just went
    through the same problem, a partial uninstall, and failure of the program to
    reinstall with Trend Micro. I found the answer only by going to their
    support site and asking. I had to download an updated program and install
    that. In fact, that may be part of your problem.
    Good Luck,
    Theron
    Theron, Nov 23, 2008