    update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
    anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
    remove programs? thankn john

    John B, Aug 31, 2007

  2. John B wrote:
    > hi
    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
    > update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
    > anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
    > remove programs? thankn john

    Add/Remove has always (with one exception) worked for me in getting rid
    of that bloated beast. Just make sure you get rid all the Symantec crap
    that goes with it. If it doesn't work, there's special software for
    getting rid of Norton:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/6oq8f

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 31, 2007

  3. John B

    sittingduck Guest

    John B wrote:

    > hi
    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    > computer(
    > update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free.
    > Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using
    > the add remove programs? thankn john

    Get a nice copy of XP with sp2 and updates slipstreamed, and reload the
    entire OS. It will run about 5 times faster, and none of the garbage dell
    packs in there will remain.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org

    sittingduck, Aug 31, 2007
  4. John B

    Slacker Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > hi
    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    > computer( update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall,
    > both free. Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other
    > than using the add remove programs? thankn john

    Why make your life difficult seeking an unconventional solution to a simple,
    standard task? Just use the Windows add/delete feature or NAV's own
    uninstall routine

    Slacker, Aug 31, 2007
  5. John B

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi John - Follow the directions here:
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd,
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine,

    In news:mgYBi.1130$,
    John B <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Aug 31, 2007
  6. 31 Aug 2007,"John B" <> in news:mgYBi.1130
    $:

    > both free

    avira or avast rate well.

    though better than nothing, imo, all the software firewalls flake out, ime. at least
    get a hardware router.

    try known tests pages after you install. (be sure to click "block" to the firewall's
    warning about unexpected requests, since that's how the firewall's supposed to
    work.)
    it's educational ;-)

    google the usual groups.

    --
    http://www.google.com/search?q="ann coulter" Chupacabras
    http://www.google.com/search?q=105 | 104 prius mph ticket %

    Part_Time_Troll, Sep 1, 2007
  7. John B

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "John B" <> said in

    > hi
    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    > computer(
    > update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both
    > free. Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other
    > than using the add remove programs? thankn john

    www.majorgeeks.com has a freeware program there that will completely remove
    Symantec shitware.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Sep 1, 2007
  8. John B

    John B Guest

    thanks everyone worked great

    thanks everyone worked great

    John

    John B, Sep 3, 2007
  9. John B

    davedefeet Guest

    Re: thanks everyone worked great

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    > thanks everyone worked great
    >
    > John
    >

    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    >> hi
    >> I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    >> computer( update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall,
    >> both free. Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other
    >> than using the add remove programs? thankn john

    A hammer?

    davedefeet, Sep 3, 2007
  10. John B

    MoiMoi Guest

    Re: thanks everyone worked great

    In article <d_%Ci.28104$>,
    says...
    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    > > thanks everyone worked great
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > "John B" <> wrote in message
    > >> hi
    > >> I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    > >> computer( update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall,
    > >> both free. Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other
    > >> than using the add remove programs? thankn john

    > A hammer?

    Run normal uninstall.
    Then run Norton Removal Tool from Symantec to ferret out left over junk:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/j4bh5

    MM

    MoiMoi, Sep 3, 2007
  11. John B

    Top Guest

    davedefeet wrote:

    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    >> thanks everyone worked great
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    >> "John B" <> wrote in message
    >>> hi
    >>> I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell
    >>> computer( update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall,
    >>> both free. Can anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other
    >>> than using the add remove programs? thankn john

    > A hammer?

    Replacing the HD would be the "cleanest" way to do it.

    Top

    Top, Sep 4, 2007