Uninstalling MS Security Essentials now....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've put it on most all of my machines in favour of either AVG or Avast!,
    some were running one and some the other.

    However, I accidently left a laptop on for two days (with the lid shut) and
    was wondering what the noise was. (I'm taking a new medication with a list
    of side-effects as long as your arm including "sudden unexpected death" [I
    kid you not!] and have been experiencing some of the effects. I put the
    noise down to that as it's listed..)

    Anyway I opened the lid of the machine a wee while ago only to find that
    this normally efficient little laptop had not only been running it's CPU at
    100% it was running at the highest speedstep! The noise I could hear was the
    fan, which normally never comes on with this particular machine as I have it
    under-volted.

    Further investigation lead me to MsMpEng.exe and Google showed me that
    hundreds, if not thousands of people are having the same problem. (Not a lot
    of people habitually monitor their CPU usage or temp. One wonders how many
    'carbon credits' MS have really gobbled up with this little gem.)

    The same machine is on 100% CPU now. If I move the mouse or type, MsMpEng
    drops to 0% CPU but after about one minute of inactivity it kicks in at 100%
    again.

    Just a heads-up to users of this software. I tought nothing of leaving the
    laptop running for a while (as it turned out longer than I intended) as,
    with the lid closed and idling it uses less than 20W. However the TDP of the
    CPU is 24.5 watts so it's more than doubled the power draw and kept all the
    other laptop components toasty for 48 hours. (I don't normally close the lid
    if the laptop isn't in an idle state as they get hotter with the lid
    closed.) It's got a HDD in it that has less than 7 days use on it now and it
    hit it's highest temp by far yesterday. Outside of the manufacturers
    'operating conditions' specs.

    I'll be removing MSSE from all machines running it over the next few days. I
    see MS reps, MVPs and MSFTs (whatever they might be) making excuses all over
    different forums as well as on their own pages. Excuses aren't going to
    replace my new HDD if it fails prematurely now due to heat-stress. Nice one
    MS. I've not had any other software misbehave so badly.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 20, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've put it on most all of my machines in favour of either AVG or
    >> Avast!, some were running one and some the other.
    >>
    >> However, I accidently left a laptop on for two days (with the lid
    >> shut) and was wondering what the noise was. (I'm taking a new
    >> medication with a list of side-effects as long as your arm including
    >> "sudden unexpected death" [I kid you not!] and have been
    >> experiencing some of the effects. I put the noise down to that as
    >> it's listed..)
    >>
    >> Anyway I opened the lid of the machine a wee while ago only to find
    >> that this normally efficient little laptop had not only been running
    >> it's CPU at 100% it was running at the highest speedstep! The noise
    >> I could hear was the fan, which normally never comes on with this
    >> particular machine as I have it under-volted.
    >>
    >> Further investigation lead me to MsMpEng.exe and Google showed me
    >> that hundreds, if not thousands of people are having the same
    >> problem. (Not a lot of people habitually monitor their CPU usage or
    >> temp. One wonders how many 'carbon credits' MS have really gobbled
    >> up with this little gem.)
    >>
    >> The same machine is on 100% CPU now. If I move the mouse or type,
    >> MsMpEng drops to 0% CPU but after about one minute of inactivity it
    >> kicks in at 100% again.
    >>
    >> Just a heads-up to users of this software. I tought nothing of
    >> leaving the laptop running for a while (as it turned out longer than
    >> I intended) as, with the lid closed and idling it uses less than
    >> 20W. However the TDP of the CPU is 24.5 watts so it's more than
    >> doubled the power draw and kept all the other laptop components
    >> toasty for 48 hours. (I don't normally close the lid if the laptop
    >> isn't in an idle state as they get hotter with the lid closed.) It's
    >> got a HDD in it that has less than 7 days use on it now and it hit
    >> it's highest temp by far yesterday. Outside of the manufacturers
    >> 'operating conditions' specs.
    >>
    >> I'll be removing MSSE from all machines running it over the next few
    >> days. I see MS reps, MVPs and MSFTs (whatever they might be) making
    >> excuses all over different forums as well as on their own pages.
    >> Excuses aren't going to replace my new HDD if it fails prematurely
    >> now due to heat-stress. Nice one MS. I've not had any other software
    >> misbehave so badly.

    > Interesting you should mention the 100% CPU usage. I installed it on
    > a XP machine here at work. After it did it's first update scan the
    > CPU usage for MsMpEng.exe hovered around 80 ~ 100%. I removed it and
    > put on Avast as a test instead. Normal CPU use.. maybe it's
    > something to do with the latest updates as i have it on a Win7 PC at
    > home and it's fine..

    Yes, it wasn't constant full-on 100% but it was fluctuating in the top
    10-15% or so on a laptop that previously idled at ~5% and almost never
    needed to have the CPU fan running. It was interesting that it would stop
    when there was user input and then climb again after about a minute of no
    input. It wasn't scanning either, or indexing as it'd been installed for a
    couple of weeks at least.

    Apparently, from what I've read by MS MVPs posting in forums it's a rare
    occurance (but not *that* rare obviously) that is machine / software
    specific. They ask for full specs of the machine and a list of this and
    that....

    Despite that being done several times in various forums going back to not
    long afer it's release I've not seen a fix for it. I found one. ;-) And I'm
    not taking any chances on any of the other machines that I have / had it
    installed on either.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 21, 2010

  3. On Jan 20, 9:39 pm, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > I've put it on most all of my machines in favour of either AVG or Avast!,
    > some were running one and some the other.
    >
    > However, I accidently left a laptop on for two days (with the lid shut) and
    > was wondering what the noise was. (I'm taking a new medication with a list
    > of side-effects as long as your arm including "sudden unexpected death" [I
    > kid you not!] and have been experiencing some of the effects. I put the
    > noise down to that as it's listed..)
    >
    > Anyway I opened the lid of the machine a wee while ago only to find that
    > this normally efficient little laptop had not only been running it's CPU at
    > 100% it was running at the highest speedstep! The noise I could hear was the
    > fan, which normally never comes on with this particular machine as I have it
    > under-volted.
    >
    > Further investigation lead me to MsMpEng.exe and Google showed me that
    > hundreds, if not thousands of people are having the same problem. (Not a lot
    > of people habitually monitor their CPU usage or temp. One wonders how many
    > 'carbon credits' MS have really gobbled up with this little gem.)
    >
    > The same machine is on 100% CPU now. If I move the mouse or type, MsMpEng
    > drops to 0% CPU but after about one minute of inactivity it kicks in at 100%
    > again.
    >
    > Just a heads-up to users of this software. I tought nothing of leaving the
    > laptop running for a while (as it turned out longer than I intended) as,
    > with the lid closed and idling it uses less than 20W. However the TDP of the
    > CPU is 24.5 watts so it's more than doubled the power draw and kept all the
    > other laptop components toasty for 48 hours. (I don't normally close the lid
    > if the laptop isn't in an idle state as they get hotter with the lid
    > closed.) It's got a HDD in it that has less than 7 days use on it now and it
    > hit it's highest temp by far yesterday. Outside of the manufacturers
    > 'operating conditions' specs.
    >
    > I'll be removing MSSE from all machines running it over the next few days.. I
    > see MS reps, MVPs and MSFTs (whatever they might be) making excuses all over
    > different forums as well as on their own pages. Excuses aren't going to
    > replace my new HDD if it fails prematurely now due to heat-stress. Nice one
    > MS. I've not had any other software misbehave so badly.

    I personally have never had or seen this issue, on the 100s of
    machines I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials onto

    Before you uninstall one thing to check and try is this:

    then this issue may be caused as MsMpEng.exe service value is not set
    to Zero in the registry

    To check for the exact issue, we need to add the MsMpEng.exe process
    in Microsoft Security Essential Excluded process list.
    To do so, please perform the below steps:
    1. Open Microsoft Security Essential program.
    2. Click on Add button.
    3. Select the path c:\program files\microsoft security essentials
    \MsMpEng.exe
    4. Click ok.
    5. Click on Save changes.
    6. Close Microsoft Security Essential program.
    7. Restart the computer.
    After restarting the computer, please check the usage of MsMpEng.exe
    service in the Task manager window.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 21, 2010
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
> [...]

    > I personally have never had or seen this issue, on the 100s of
    > machines I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials onto
    >
    > Before you uninstall one thing to check and try is this:
    >
    > then this issue may be caused as MsMpEng.exe service value is not set
    > to Zero in the registry
    >
    > To check for the exact issue, we need to add the MsMpEng.exe process
    > in Microsoft Security Essential Excluded process list.
    > To do so, please perform the below steps:
    > 1. Open Microsoft Security Essential program.
    > 2. Click on Add button.
    > 3. Select the path c:\program files\microsoft security essentials
    > \MsMpEng.exe
    > 4. Click ok.
    > 5. Click on Save changes.
    > 6. Close Microsoft Security Essential program.
    > 7. Restart the computer.
    > After restarting the computer, please check the usage of MsMpEng.exe

    Hi Nathan,

    I've already uninstalled it from that machine (and installed the new-look
    Avast!) so I can't try that and while I haven't seen the same behaviour on
    any of my others they're all laptops and I don't want to risk them getting
    hot like that one did so have also uninstalled from all but one machine.

    I seriously hope that it is as rare as you think because I've helped a few
    neighbours and family members with their laptops and have installed MSE on
    all of them. I'd hate to have that come back and bite me.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 21, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:01:20 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> [...]

    > I personally have never had or seen this issue, on the 100s of machines
    > I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials onto
    >
    > Before you uninstall one thing to check and try is this:
    >
    > then this issue may be caused as MsMpEng.exe service value is not set to
    > Zero in the registry
    >
    > To check for the exact issue, we need to add the MsMpEng.exe process in
    > Microsoft Security Essential Excluded process list. To do so, please
    > perform the below steps: 1. Open Microsoft Security Essential program.
    > 2. Click on Add button.
    > 3. Select the path c:\program files\microsoft security essentials
    > \MsMpEng.exe
    > 4. Click ok.
    > 5. Click on Save changes.
    > 6. Close Microsoft Security Essential program. 7. Restart the computer.
    > After restarting the computer, please check the usage of MsMpEng.exe

    Another example of faulty Micro$oft software not working as expected!

    If it does bullshit like this, what would make you think it is capable of keeping your computer free from
    viruses!

    Sweetpea, Jan 21, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > Despite that being done several times in various forums going back to not
    > long afer it's release I've not seen a fix for it. I found one. ;-) And
    > I'm not taking any chances on any of the other machines that I have / had
    > it installed on either.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Shaun.

    see fix on the NZpcworld forum.

    Craig Sutton, Jan 21, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Despite that being done several times in various forums going back
    >> to not long afer it's release I've not seen a fix for it. I found
    >> one. ;-) And I'm not taking any chances on any of the other machines
    >> that I have / had it installed on either.

    > see fix on the NZpcworld forum.

    Thanks but I'm not about to use software that I have to hunt out fixes for
    when there are other good competitors out there (Avast!, AVG) who supply
    free products that I've not had trouble with.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2010
  8. ~misfit~

    claudiathompson

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I was having problems too

    I just installed Miscrosoft Essentials yesterday and my computer has been making all sorts of racket... like the fan running. I finally uninstalled it this morning, Im afraid it will ruin my computer.

    claudiathompson, Sep 2, 2011