Uninstalling Microsoft Office Trial from new laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Flin, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. Flin

    Flin Guest

    Hi, friend has a new laptop with MS Office Trial installed. She wants to
    ditch it and install the Home & Student version as the machine is a
    schoolwork unit and the Student version is miles cheaper than the version
    that the machine is nagging her to buy, plus she's allowed to install a
    further 2 copies to the kids' PCs.

    There is a special way to uninstall the trial version. Doing the usual
    uninstall doesn't work to well, I hear. Lots of crap left behind that
    causes problems when installing and activating the cheaper Student
    version. Saw the instructions somewhere out on the Net but have lost the
    links.

    Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?
     
    Flin, Feb 15, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:11:47 -0600, Flin wrote:

    > Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?


    Format the HDD and reinstall everything from scratch.

    As you're using a Micro$oft based computer, as well as Micro$oft software
    you'll also need a strong Anti-Virus application installed. You'll also
    need a good firewall.


    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
     
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Flin

    shane Guest

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) did scribble:

    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:11:47 -0600, Flin wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?

    >
    > Format the HDD and reinstall everything from scratch.
    >
    > As you're using a Micro$oft based computer, as well as Micro$oft software
    > you'll also need a strong Anti-Virus application installed. You'll also
    > need a good firewall.
    >
    >


    What a fucking moron
    <plonk>
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
     
    shane, Feb 15, 2008
    #3
  4. Flin

    Squiggle Guest

    Flin wrote:
    > Hi, friend has a new laptop with MS Office Trial installed. She wants to
    > ditch it and install the Home & Student version as the machine is a
    > schoolwork unit and the Student version is miles cheaper than the version
    > that the machine is nagging her to buy, plus she's allowed to install a
    > further 2 copies to the kids' PCs.
    >
    > There is a special way to uninstall the trial version. Doing the usual
    > uninstall doesn't work to well, I hear. Lots of crap left behind that
    > causes problems when installing and activating the cheaper Student
    > version. Saw the instructions somewhere out on the Net but have lost the
    > links.
    >
    > Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?


    Using the normal uninstall method should work.

    if not then http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=928218 might be of use.

    Personally i'd use the standard uninstall then double check the registry
    keys listed in the above link are deleted.
     
    Squiggle, Feb 15, 2008
    #4
  5. Flin

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 16, 12:20 pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
    <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 17:11:47 -0600, Flin wrote:
    > > Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?

    >
    > Format the HDD and reinstall everything from scratch.
    >


    For heavens sake do not do this unless you really know what you are
    doing. You do not even get rescue CD's nowadays as far as I know.

    I do not know Vista but presumably there is a add / remove software
    feature as in XP where you can uninstall applications software.

    What is happening nowadays is that Microsoft is coercing OEM's to
    effectively load up new computers with adware and charge the OEM's
    heaps for the privilege, then return a part of this to the OEM in
    exchange for the OEM to say "Joe Bloggs Computers recommends Microsoft
    Vista" in its advertising.

    Actually, Microsoft should be paying OEM's for the privelege of having
    its suff loaded on new computers, especially since the mast basic
    version of Vista is in effert 'trial' crippleware.

    Even better, for a level playing field, Vista should be a demo only
    with customers required to pay to upgrade to something usable. OEM's
    should supply a diagnostic CD (or a BIOS extension) that is OS
    independent so customers can check out hardware before making a
    warranty claim.
     
    peterwn, Feb 16, 2008
    #5
  6. Flin

    EMB Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Flin wrote:
    >> Hi, friend has a new laptop with MS Office Trial installed. She wants
    >> to ditch it and install the Home & Student version as the machine is a
    >> schoolwork unit and the Student version is miles cheaper than the
    >> version that the machine is nagging her to buy, plus she's allowed to
    >> install a further 2 copies to the kids' PCs.
    >>
    >> There is a special way to uninstall the trial version. Doing the usual
    >> uninstall doesn't work to well, I hear. Lots of crap left behind that
    >> causes problems when installing and activating the cheaper Student
    >> version. Saw the instructions somewhere out on the Net but have lost
    >> the links.
    >>
    >> Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?

    >
    > Using the normal uninstall method should work.


    It's worked for me on 3 Lenovo machines so far.
     
    EMB, Feb 16, 2008
    #6
  7. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:18:54 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > You do not even get rescue CD's nowadays as far as I know.


    And that of itself is risible.

    If you've paid for the software you should get an installable copy just
    in case the HDD fails or you need to install everything from scratch in
    order to ensure you have a clean installation, for example, after you had
    a bad virus infestation of M$ Windows.


    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
     
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 16, 2008
    #7
  8. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:18:54 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > Actually, Microsoft should be paying OEM's for the privelege of having
    > its suff loaded on new computers, especially since the mast basic
    > version of Vista is in effert 'trial' crippleware.


    Agreed!


    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
     
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Feb 16, 2008
    #8
  9. Flin

    HairyMcLeary Guest

    I simply typed the Home & Student software key into the trial version and it
    worked. The trial version became a Home & Student version. Saved time. No
    issues whatsoever.

    Tony

    "Flin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, friend has a new laptop with MS Office Trial installed. She wants to
    > ditch it and install the Home & Student version as the machine is a
    > schoolwork unit and the Student version is miles cheaper than the version
    > that the machine is nagging her to buy, plus she's allowed to install a
    > further 2 copies to the kids' PCs.
    >
    > There is a special way to uninstall the trial version. Doing the usual
    > uninstall doesn't work to well, I hear. Lots of crap left behind that
    > causes problems when installing and activating the cheaper Student
    > version. Saw the instructions somewhere out on the Net but have lost the
    > links.
    >
    > Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    HairyMcLeary, Feb 16, 2008
    #9
  10. Flin

    Brick Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:51:34 +1300, "HairyMcLeary"
    <> wrote:

    >I simply typed the Home & Student software key into the trial version and it
    >worked. The trial version became a Home & Student version. Saved time. No
    >issues whatsoever.
    >

    Ah yes, but that only gives you one OEM copy. The correspondent might
    want to install the 3 shot retail version that is going out at
    something like $180 and that one allows you to install up to three
    copies on different machines.

    >Tony
    >
    >"Flin" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hi, friend has a new laptop with MS Office Trial installed. She wants to
    >> ditch it and install the Home & Student version as the machine is a
    >> schoolwork unit and the Student version is miles cheaper than the version
    >> that the machine is nagging her to buy, plus she's allowed to install a
    >> further 2 copies to the kids' PCs.
    >>
    >> There is a special way to uninstall the trial version. Doing the usual
    >> uninstall doesn't work to well, I hear. Lots of crap left behind that
    >> causes problems when installing and activating the cheaper Student
    >> version. Saw the instructions somewhere out on the Net but have lost the
    >> links.
    >>
    >> Anyone in here know the proper procedure, please?
     
    Brick, Feb 19, 2008
    #10
  11. Flin

    Jerry Guest

    Brick wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:51:34 +1300, "HairyMcLeary"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I simply typed the Home & Student software key into the trial version and it
    >> worked. The trial version became a Home & Student version. Saved time. No
    >> issues whatsoever.
    >>

    > Ah yes, but that only gives you one OEM copy. The correspondent might
    > want to install the 3 shot retail version that is going out at
    > something like $180 and that one allows you to install up to three
    > copies on different machines.


    If you enter the code on one of the pre-installed Vista machines that
    would be one of the three uses. You don't need to install the software
    again. The other two can be installed from the CDs
     
    Jerry, Feb 19, 2008
    #11
  12. In article <>, Brick did write:

    > The correspondent might
    > want to install the 3 shot retail version that is going out at
    > something like $180 and that one allows you to install up to three
    > copies on different machines.


    That's assuming that all the time and effort you've spent figuring out these
    licensing niceties is valued at zero.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 19, 2008
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgRGlk?=

    How get back Microsoft Trial Office 2003 with Gateway Notebook

    =?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgRGlk?=, Jan 22, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    769
    Carey Frisch [MVP]
    Jan 24, 2006
  2. HandyMan

    Problem Uninstalling MS Office 97

    HandyMan, Feb 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    3,581
    Harrison
    Feb 11, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?WFB4NjQ=?=
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    671
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Feb 22, 2007
  4. NOTTNICK

    Uninstalling office 2007 (trial)

    NOTTNICK, May 7, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    938
    WhzzKdd
    May 8, 2007
  5. Angel Eyes

    Microsoft Office Excell 2003 & Microsoft Office Word 2003

    Angel Eyes, May 19, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    914
    lynwood
    Jun 30, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page