    boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
    for booting Windows or Linux...

    Ferg

    Ferg, May 18, 2004

  2. Hi there,

    Ferg wrote:
    > I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
    > off.
    >
    > I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
    > boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
    > for booting Windows or Linux...

    Just boot with your Windows install disk; you can clear or delete the
    partitions with the install tools, and I think there is a tool called
    FIXMBR in your recovery console that will fix the bootloader issue...

    Might pay to read the docs very carefully for those tools... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

    Chris Wilkinson, May 18, 2004

  3. Ferg

    GraB Guest

    You could just delete the Linux partitions and use a boot disc with
    fdisk on it, typing: fdisk /mbr

    GraB, May 18, 2004
  4. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Thanks. Problem solved!

    Ferg

    Ferg, May 19, 2004
  5. Ferg

    scoobs Guest

    Ferg <> wrote:

    > I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day
    > and now I would like to take it off.

    <snip>

    Just curious, not impressed with it or any
    other reason you didnt like it, hence removal?

    delete _removethis and _nospam2me from return
    address and place @NG in subject in order to reply
    plus get round that pesky junkmail filter....
    scuubydu_removethis@slingshot_nospam2me.co.nz

    scoobs, May 19, 2004
  6. Ferg

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    Dumbkiwi, May 20, 2004
  7. Ferg

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Ferg wrote:

    > I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
    > off.
    >
    > I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
    > boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
    > for booting Windows or Linux...

    booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch in
    fdisk:

    fdisk /mbr

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, May 20, 2004
  8. Divine wrote
    > booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch in
    > fdisk:
    >
    > fdisk /mbr

    are you sure it's undocumented???
    a quick google for fdisk /mbr site:microsoft.com gave this link as first...
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q69/0/13.ASP

    many more below

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
    > > booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch

    in
    > > fdisk:
    > > fdisk /mbr

    > are you sure it's undocumented???
    > a quick google for fdisk /mbr site:microsoft.com gave this link as

    first...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q69/0/13.ASP

    hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that this
    would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch... seems a tad odd
    way to put it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
    > > are you sure it's undocumented???

    > hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that this
    > would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch...

    found more info on it too... their own website mentions it as far back as
    December
    1998(http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cache:yJRcZKISbTAJ:www.microsoft.com/t
    echnet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/winntmag/bob1298.mspx+fdisk+/mbr+site:micros
    oft.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)

    and from june 1995
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/workstation/res
    kit/en-us/recoverw.mspx

    I found reference to it in 1992, but I can't open the link...
    a lot of history from the company that makes it, but still say that it's
    un-documented... odd to say the least.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2004
  11. Ferg

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
    >> > are you sure it's undocumented???

    >> hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that
    >> this would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch...

    > found more info on it too... their own website mentions it as far back
    > as December
    > 1998(http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=cache:yJRcZKISbTAJ:www.microsoft.
    > com/t
    > echnet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/winntmag/bob1298.mspx+fdisk+/mbr+site:m
    > icros oft.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)
    >
    > and from june 1995
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/workstatio
    > n/res kit/en-us/recoverw.mspx
    >
    > I found reference to it in 1992, but I can't open the link...
    > a lot of history from the company that makes it, but still say that
    > it's un-documented... odd to say the least.

    Do an fdisk /? and it is not a listed switch. Hence "undocumented" in
    the usual first place you look.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 20, 2004
  12. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Do an fdisk /? and it is not a listed switch. Hence "undocumented" in
    > the usual first place you look.

    ok then... ummm the net is the usual place I look first... I just think
    it's odd that it is called undocumented in an article by MS about what
    the switch does, it just doesnt make sense.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2004
  13. In article <40ac83eb$>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:
    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote
    >> > booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch

    >in
    >> > fdisk:
    >> > fdisk /mbr

    >> are you sure it's undocumented???
    >> a quick google for fdisk /mbr site:microsoft.com gave this link as

    >first...
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q69/0/13.ASP

    >hahha, actually, you appear to be correct, although it appears that this
    >would be documentation on a so called undocumented switch... seems a tad odd
    >way to put it.

    Maybe MS didnt want Joe Average to easily find it
    fdisk /?
    no mention of mbr

    Steve Robertson, May 21, 2004
  14. Ferg

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:29:47 +1200, Divine <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Ferg wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Mandrake 9.2 the other day and now I would like to take it
    >> off.
    >>
    >> I can just delete the partitions I made for it but how do I restore the
    >> boot settings? Currently when I turn the machine on it gives me options
    >> for booting Windows or Linux...

    >booting from a Windows98 boot floppy disc, use the undocumented switch in
    >fdisk:
    >
    >fdisk /mbr

    That would NOT be a good idea if he was running 2000, ME or XP.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 21, 2004
  15. Ferg

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:2h4p8lF95nklU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > . I just think
    > it's odd that it is called undocumented in an article by MS about what
    > the switch does, it just doesnt make sense.

    Chewbacca defence from Southpark comes to mind. Damn it that was funny
    when I saw it.

    Ciao, Dave

    PS, you don't normally have the 'net avail when you are in real mode dos
    about to run fdisk.

    Dave Taylor, May 22, 2004
  16. Ferg

    brundlefly Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:2h4p8lF95nklU1@uni-
    > berlin.de:
    >
    > > . I just think
    > > it's odd that it is called undocumented in an article by MS about what
    > > the switch does, it just doesnt make sense.
    > >

    > Chewbacca defence from Southpark comes to mind. Damn it that was funny
    > when I saw it.
    >
    > Ciao, Dave
    >
    > PS, you don't normally have the 'net avail when you are in real mode dos
    > about to run fdisk.

    Its probably even in the Mandrake documentation now, it was originally
    undocumented because there wasn't anyone fucking around with their win 98
    mbr, so all the magazine help the dummy articles referred to it ad nauseum
    until it was a bloody cliche as the "undocumented mbr switch".
    The advice is out of date now, its fixmbr in the recovery console.

    brundlefly, May 22, 2004
  17. Ferg

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:15:00 +1200, brundlefly wrote:

    > The advice
    > is out of date now, its fixmbr in the recovery console.

    In WinNT boxes it may be. In Windows boxes it isn't.

    Divine

    Divine, May 22, 2004
  18. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > PS, you don't normally have the 'net avail when you are in real mode dos
    > about to run fdisk.

    I always have a machine online... my wireless is down at present*, so Im
    on dialup at home.

    * ironically I broke the cable from my AP to antenna... grr.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 23, 2004