    Adam Ross Guest

    How come we can delete files and programs in DOS; but in WIN9x, we have to,
    or , its best to uninstall? Can anyone shed some light on this. THANX.
    Adam Ross, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Adam Ross

    David Hough Guest

    DOS doesn't have a registry

    David Hough, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Adam Ross

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "Adam Ross"
    <> wrote:

    > How come we can delete files and programs in DOS; but in WIN9x, we have to,
    > or , its best to uninstall? Can anyone shed some light on this. THANX.

    Fairly easy to explain....

    In Windows, when you install a program, many, many, many changes are made
    to the registry, as well as other files are installed to various places on
    the HDD. In order to uninstall a program properly, you must remove al
    those files and registry entries. That is what an uninstaller does.

    In DOS, other than perhaps some entries to the autoexec.bat or config.sys
    files, most of everthing is self contained inside that program's
    directly. Sometimes there are some files elsewhere, but not in all cases.
    Ghost, Aug 21, 2003