Uninstalling IE ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Running XP, and using Firefox

    Installed IE just so I could use their Virtual Earth mapping program.
    But, made the mistake, I guess, of downloading the Yahoo IE7 version, which
    for a variety of reasons was a really bad idea.

    Anyway, went to control panel, and can't find anything under either
    Microsoft, IE, or Yahoo, that looks like it
    gives me the ability to remove the Yahoo IE.

    (and then install a "clean" MS, non-Yahoo, version afterwards).

    Where should I look for an Uninstall for the Yahoo IE, please ?
    Or, how else should I do it if they don't provide an Uninstall ?

    Any caveats or gotchas in doing so ?

    BTW: anyone have the Links for the regular MS IE version, and also for
    their Virtual Earth ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 23, 2006

  2. Robert11

    Reggie700 Guest

    Re: Uninstalling IE ?

    On Nov 23, 3:51 pm, "Robert11" <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Running XP, and using Firefox
    >
    > Installed IE just so I could use their Virtual Earth mapping program.
    > But, made the mistake, I guess, of downloading the Yahoo IE7 version, which
    > for a variety of reasons was a really bad idea.
    >
    > Anyway, went to control panel, and can't find anything under either
    > Microsoft, IE, or Yahoo, that looks like it
    > gives me the ability to remove the Yahoo IE.
    >
    > (and then install a "clean" MS, non-Yahoo, version afterwards).
    >
    > Where should I look for an Uninstall for the Yahoo IE, please ?
    > Or, how else should I do it if they don't provide an Uninstall ?
    >
    > Any caveats or gotchas in doing so ?
    >
    > BTW: anyone have the Links for the regular MS IE version, and also for
    > their Virtual Earth ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Did you go into add/remove in control panel ?

    Reggie700, Nov 23, 2006

  3. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP: Re: Uninstalling IE ?

    Hi,

    Yes, that's where I looked.

    Thanks for help.
    Bob
    ------------------

    Robert11, Nov 23, 2006
  4. Robert11

    sittingduck Guest

    sittingduck, Nov 23, 2006
  5. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    Re: From OP: Re: Uninstalling IE ?

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:57:10 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Yes, that's where I looked.

    Please don't change the subject when following up to a message.

    Evan Platt, Nov 23, 2006
  6. Robert11

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Running XP, and using Firefox
    >
    > Installed IE just so I could use their Virtual Earth mapping program.
    > But, made the mistake, I guess, of downloading the Yahoo IE7 version, which
    > for a variety of reasons was a really bad idea.
    >
    > Anyway, went to control panel, and can't find anything under either
    > Microsoft, IE, or Yahoo, that looks like it
    > gives me the ability to remove the Yahoo IE.
    >
    > (and then install a "clean" MS, non-Yahoo, version afterwards).
    >
    > Where should I look for an Uninstall for the Yahoo IE, please ?
    > Or, how else should I do it if they don't provide an Uninstall ?
    >
    > Any caveats or gotchas in doing so ?
    >
    > BTW: anyone have the Links for the regular MS IE version, and also for
    > their Virtual Earth ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    You may be looking in the wrong place in Add/Remove Programs. Make sure
    you look under "Windows Internet Explorer 7", not "Microsoft Internet
    Explorer 7". For some reason Microsoft decided to rename it to Windows
    Internet Explorer, which is probably why you're having trouble finding
    the uninstaller.

    After you've uninstalled it, you should be able to get the clean
    Microsoft version through Windows Update.

    Hope this helps!

    P.S.: For Virtual Earth: With Microsoft's new "Live" branding thing,
    it's been renamed Live Local Search. Just go to local.live.com and you
    will find it.

    AnonyMouse, Nov 23, 2006