Uninstalling AOL 9.0 from c: prompt?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
    machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
    computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to the
    point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got an
    Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and must
    close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words I
    can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that AOL
    9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
    appears at the same point in boot process.

    So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
    erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks very much.

    John

    John, Dec 3, 2004

  2. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    |I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
    | machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
    | computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to
    the
    | point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got
    an
    | Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and
    must
    | close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    | shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words
    | can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that
    AOL
    | 9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
    | appears at the same point in boot process.
    |
    | So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
    | erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.
    |
    | Can anyone help?
    |
    | Thanks very much.
    |
    | John

    Not so much an "uninstall" but you might be able to set your system registry
    back to a point before you installed AOL. It only keeps a few registries
    though, so don't be surprised if you don't have one old enough.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004

  3. John

    Richard Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I stupidly installed AOL 9.0 on an older Dell P100t and didn't realize the
    > machine had only 24 megabytes of memory installed. Upon rebooting the
    > computer, which is running Windows 98, the boot process continued up to

    the
    > point where I saw my desktop and taskbar with three shortcuts, when I got

    an
    > Explorer error message "This program performed an illegal operation and

    must
    > close." Details revealed "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    > shell22.dll, etc." Could go no further in booting process. In other words

    > can't get into Windows 98. Computer worked fine before I installed that

    AOL
    > 9.0. Same thing happens when I try to boot in safe mode. Error message
    > appears at the same point in boot process.
    >
    > So now I am at the C: prompt and am wondering if I can somehow uninstall,
    > erase, delete, or otherwise get rid of AOL from the command prompt.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > John

    Boot to dos with a floppy disk.
    Go to the directory with the AOL files in it and delete away.
    If you continue having the error problem, you may need to reinstall windows.

    Did you want to torture yourself and actually want to try out AO Hell?

    Richard, Dec 3, 2004