    If at a later date I try to install the programme again say cyberscub it
    recognises that a previous copy was installed, how does it do that.

    If you run uninstall what's the point if part of the install is left behind
    Wayne Kerr, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Wayne Kerr wrote:

    > If I uninstall a programme such as cyberscub as an example on a 15 day trial
    > the idea is the programme is removed.
    > If at a later date I try to install the programme again say cyberscub it
    > recognises that a previous copy was installed, how does it do that.

    It didn't uninstall everything it created.

    > If you run uninstall what's the point if part of the install is left behind

    In this case, it's either 1. a bad uninstall, or 2. it's intentional so
    that you can't just keep using it over and over as a demo once it's
    expired the first time.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Wayne Kerr

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:03:02 GMT, "Wayne Kerr" <>
    wrote:

    >WIN 98
    >
    >If I uninstall a programme such as cyberscub as an example on a 15 day trial
    >the idea is the programme is removed.
    >If at a later date I try to install the programme again say cyberscub it
    >recognises that a previous copy was installed, how does it do that.
    >
    >If you run uninstall what's the point if part of the install is left behind

    Because most programs that have a X day Trial leave a registry key
    behind that tells your computer when you initially installed the
    program.

    There are install monitor programs that will monitor a program being
    installed, then allow you to completely uninstall the program.
    Evan Platt, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Wayne Kerr

    trout Guest

    Wayne Kerr wrote:

    > WIN 98
    >
    > If I uninstall a programme such as cyberscub as an example on a 15
    > day trial the idea is the programme is removed.
    > If at a later date I try to install the programme again say cyberscub
    > it recognises that a previous copy was installed, how does it do that.
    >
    > If you run uninstall what's the point if part of the install is left
    > behind

    As mentioned, there is generally a registry value left behind.
    Otherwise, free trials would be perpetually reinstalled.
    One program that is sometimes recommended to get around this is
    Total Uninstall:
    The catch is, you have to use it for the *first* installation. It's
    too late for the trials already installed. It (and programs like it) is
    supposed to monitor all changes an installation makes, and allow you to
    totally undo them.
    --
    Your results may vary.
    trout, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Wayne Kerr

    Stickems. Guest

    They may be checking for an entry in the register put there by the first
    installation. A work around may be to do a Restore to a date prior to the
    first installation and then try to install the program again. I have found
    that some (probably most) date limited programs will work after the set no
    of days have expired if you reset your PC date back to before the expiry
    date.

    Stickems., Aug 12, 2005