Uninstalled primary ide channel, now winxp cant find it

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by puffy, May 5, 2004.

  1. puffy

    puffy Guest

    OK, basically I wanted to enable the DMA support for my k7ama mobo w/
    a 120gig Western Digital HD.

    The reason I wanted to do this so my DVD burner would run a lot
    quicker

    I enabled this in bios, but when I went back into device manager, the
    DVD burner had DMA on, but my HD still said DMA off??

    It still says primary- transfer mode is set to DMA if available and
    current is PIO mode for my HD.

    So someone suggested this: You need to uninstall primary IDE channel
    and after restart you should have IDE DMA 5 enabled for you first IDE
    device (HDD

    i did this but when i restarted, i got an error in windows when it was
    attempting to reinstall the primary channel drivers.

    The error i get is that ' hdc error driver is not intended for this
    platform"

    In addition to enabling DMA on in BIOS, what I did was my Western
    Digital HD comes with a 'ultra ata/100 management' disk and I ran that
    as well and I guess I 'enabled' DMA. I had an option of choosing b/w
    ata 33/66/100.

    I tried to 'disable' it again (thru using the disk), but still I get
    this "hdc error driver is not intended for this platform" error

    i switched back everything i changed and i still get this error

    Anyone know how to fix?

    There's a big yellow ! when I go into device manager and look at my
    primary IDE controller (actually that isnt even there anymore, just
    says 'unknown device')

    EDIT: I ran nero info tool, it says DMA on the HD is now ON (off
    before) and I was able to burn a DVD in 14 min, rather than 30

    But I still dont have the primariy ide channel configured properly.

    PICTURE of problem: http://www.geocities.com/vanbiesbrouck34/error.JPG

    copy and paste in browser, thanks in advance

    PS:sorry for the long post.

    puffy, May 5, 2004

  2. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Download and install the correct drivers for
    your motherboard, or boot into Safe Mode
    and delete the IDE controller from Device
    Manager -- let Windows reinstall it at next
    boot up.

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:03:53 GMT, in
    <>
    puffy scrawled:

    >OK, basically I wanted to enable the DMA support for my k7ama mobo w/
    >a 120gig Western Digital HD.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 5, 2004

  3. puffy

    puffy Guest

    Hmm I went to my mobo website, d/led the ide drivers for it, but still
    no go

    guess i will have to format

    thanks

    puffy, May 7, 2004