    in the firewall set?

    Is this not a security hazard and/or will in not interfere with using
    other wired network hardware?
    Vonivitch88, May 9, 2006

  2. Since you say you have a Windows 98 operating system it's a safe assumption
    to assume you don't have the Windows XP firewall. However I don't know what
    brand of firewall you do have, nor would it be prudent to guess. If setting
    rules don't work to block the port perhaps you should consider uninstalling
    and reinstalling the firewall software.

    Keep in mind that those ports are the Netbios name service and Netbios
    session service. Depending on how your network is set up you may need those
    ports open.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBDaGlvZG8=?=, May 9, 2006

  3. Hi
    IP 169.xxx.xxx.xxx means that it is coming from nowhere. It is the default
    IP that Windows uses if it can not find a DHCP server.
    It could be an old entry, and I doubt that it is related to the uninstalled
    USB card.
    Install a new card and configure what needs to be configured, and see what
    the new system would do.
    In addition it would be very helpful if you would explain a little more
    about the makeup of your system.
    Internet Type? Do you have a Network? What is the Firewall? What tells you
    that the ports are active?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 9, 2006
  4. Vonivitch88

    Vonivitch88 Guest

    "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <> wrote in

    > Hi
    > IP 169.xxx.xxx.xxx means that it is coming from nowhere. It is the
    > default IP that Windows uses if it can not find a DHCP server.
    > It could be an old entry, and I doubt that it is related to the
    > uninstalled USB card.
    > Install a new card and configure what needs to be configured, and see
    > what the new system would do.
    > In addition it would be very helpful if you would explain a little
    > more about the makeup of your system.
    > Internet Type? Do you have a Network? What is the Firewall? What tells
    > you that the ports are active?
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks for the additional information on this. When I disable DHCP in
    the firewall, I still have the open ports in the firewall monitor
    window. The firewall should not allow open ports if this rule is
    disabled and all other traffic except for rules is disallowed. This ip
    did not begin to show up until I installed the Engenius driver package
    for this usb wifi adapter. I think it altered my OS files somehow? The
    system is win98se, has an ethernet card netgear in it. Firewall is kerio
    2.15. Open ports are reported in it's admin window, ports 135-137 (ms
    windows file sharing ports, even though file sharing is not enabled).
    They show up as such: APPLIC:SYSTEM:: PROT:UDP port 137;138; TCP Port
    139 LOCAL ADDR:169.254.xxx.xxx Listening The IP also shows in the
    windows registry as such: system\current control
    set\services\vxD\dhcp\dhcpinfo00\ipautoconfigurationaddress=169.xxx.xxx.xx

    How do I get rid of these open ports?

    Vonivitch88, May 10, 2006