    Now he wants to get rid of the WIN 98 and have the C drive be XP and the D
    drive an empty disk for file storage. How do we do it?
    Any help appreciated.

    Frafi, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Frafi

    Askhow.net Guest

    Change the jumpers on the c: drive to slave and the D: drive jumpers to
    master then when you are sure XP is C: Drive and working format D: Drive.
    Some drives have a diagram on them to show you how to set the jumpers. If
    yours doesn't have this diagram goto the Harddrive Manufacturers website and
    get it.

    Jaks http://www.askhow.net
    Free Nonprofit Computer Support Forums, Humor and More....

    "Frafi" <> wrote in message
    > I have a friend who has a separate 80 gb hard drive for win98 and another

    80

    Askhow.net, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Frafi

    Thor Guest

    "Askhow.net" <> wrote in message
    > Change the jumpers on the c: drive to slave and the D: drive jumpers to
    > master then when you are sure XP is C: Drive and working format D: Drive.
    > Some drives have a diagram on them to show you how to set the jumpers. If
    > yours doesn't have this diagram goto the Harddrive Manufacturers website

    and
    > get it.

    That won't work as described, since WInXP will retain it's D: letter
    designation regardless of whether you set the XP drive as primary master,
    and also even the the other drive is removed from the system. If he wants
    his XP drive to be C:, then a wipe and reinstall of XP on that drive will be
    necessary after physically disconnecting the Win98 drive. Then the Win98
    drive can be reconnected as slave etc. after WinXP have been reinstalled,
    and booted normally at least once. Then format the win98 drive.

    Thor, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Frafi

    Night_Seer Guest

    Frafi wrote:
    > I have a friend who has a separate 80 gb hard drive for win98 and
    > another 80 gb drive with WinXP.
    > The C drive has WIN98 and the D drive has XP.
    > Now he wants to get rid of the WIN 98 and have the C drive be XP and
    > the D drive an empty disk for file storage. How do we do it?
    > Any help appreciated.

    Only a reinstall will get you what you want, as many windows programs
    are tied to D:\Windows rather than C:\Windows. If you were to get it to
    change, I bet a lot of things would stop working, and probably wouldn't
    even boot up. Reinstall XP, or upgrade your Win98 install (I suggest a
    clean install if at all posible).

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 29, 2004