UNINSTALL "rogue" networks, how?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ritter197, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    My daughter is trying to set up a wireless connection between her desktop
    and her daughter's in the next room.

    She is using a wireless Netgear Router, Cable, Windows XP, SP2.

    Her daughter's computer runs the same software.

    When I was at her house and installed the ASUS Adapter LAN PCI WL-138G,
    IEEE802.11g 54 Mbps, it worked initially and I was able to get on the
    Internet on her daughter's computer.

    I then updated via the Express route Windows XP, restrted and thereafter
    could not sign on anymore to the Internet. (This page cannot be displayed)

    Device Manger shows the card installed, no yellow exclamation mark, and that
    the device is working properly.

    I un-installed the device and re-installed the PCI card with the supplied
    CD, but it gain would not connect.

    What can I advise her to do now?

    Ritter197, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Ritter197

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:56:45 GMT, "Ritter197" <>
    wrote in <N_0eh.3611$5h.925@trnddc04>:

    >My daughter is trying to set up a wireless connection between her desktop
    >and her daughter's in the next room.
    >
    >She is using a wireless Netgear Router, Cable, Windows XP, SP2.
    >
    >Her daughter's computer runs the same software.
    >
    >When I was at her house and installed the ASUS Adapter LAN PCI WL-138G,
    >IEEE802.11g 54 Mbps, it worked initially and I was able to get on the
    >Internet on her daughter's computer.
    >
    >I then updated via the Express route Windows XP, restrted and thereafter
    >could not sign on anymore to the Internet. (This page cannot be displayed)
    >
    >Device Manger shows the card installed, no yellow exclamation mark, and that
    >the device is working properly.
    >
    >I un-installed the device and re-installed the PCI card with the supplied
    >CD, but it gain would not connect.
    >
    >What can I advise her to do now?

    Read the wikis below.
    Turn off all security while troubleshooting.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
    John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

    John Navas, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    John, I did look and selected a number of the subjects, but none told me how
    to DELETE parties the network now sees when it is powered up.

    We did get it to work now. She can communicate from one computer to the
    other. She used the same WEB for incription on both computers and that for
    some reason did the trick.

    But she sees other networks (which are not hers) and likes to HIde or
    totally get rid of them. Can that be done?

    Probably not, I guess. What the adapter sees, it sees. Right?

    Ritter197, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Ritter197

    Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless Ritter197 <> wrote:
    > But she sees other networks (which are not hers) and likes to HIde or
    > totally get rid of them. Can that be done?

    In the "View Wireless Networks" window, in the left panel, select "change
    the order of preferred networks.

    You can set the one that you want to "automatic", and the others to "on
    demand" by selecting them, properties, and unchecking the "automatic"
    selection on the advanced tab for each one.

    Also click on the Advanced tab on the main "wireless properties" page, and
    select the "Access Point (Infrastructure) networks only button to prevent
    accidentally connecting directly to other laptops when there is no WAP
    available.

    --
    ---

    , Dec 8, 2006
  5. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Thanks for this good and detailed information.
    I will forward it right away to my dayghter who has this problem.

    Ritter197, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Ritter197

    Lem Guest

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > Thanks for this good and detailed information.
    > I will forward it right away to my dayghter who has this problem.
    >

    > <> wrote in message news:elaf17$m50$...
    >> In alt.internet.wireless Ritter197 <> wrote:
    >>> But she sees other networks (which are not hers) and likes to HIde or
    >>> totally get rid of them. Can that be done?

    >> In the "View Wireless Networks" window, in the left panel, select "change
    >> the order of preferred networks.
    >>
    >> You can set the one that you want to "automatic", and the others to "on
    >> demand" by selecting them, properties, and unchecking the "automatic"
    >> selection on the advanced tab for each one.
    >>
    >> Also click on the Advanced tab on the main "wireless properties" page, and
    >> select the "Access Point (Infrastructure) networks only button to prevent
    >> accidentally connecting directly to other laptops when there is no WAP
    >> available.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ---
    >> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5

    At the same place where you "change the order of preferred networks,"
    you can delete those that you don't want to connect to at all (instead
    of making them non-automatic). Be aware, however, that if you connect
    to any network by selecting it from the "View Wireless Networks" window,
    that network is automatically added to the top of the "preferred
    network" list.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Dec 8, 2006
  7. Ritter197

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 10:40:28 -0500, Lem <> wrote in
    <>:

    >At the same place where you "change the order of preferred networks,"
    >you can delete those that you don't want to connect to at all (instead
    >of making them non-automatic). Be aware, however, that if you connect
    >to any network by selecting it from the "View Wireless Networks" window,
    >that network is automatically added to the top of the "preferred
    >network" list.

    Unless you change the setting to connect manually, which is easy to do.

    John Navas, Dec 8, 2006
  8. Ritter197

    Ron Guest

    Ritter197 wrote:
    > John, I did look and selected a number of the subjects, but none told me how
    > to DELETE parties the network now sees when it is powered up.

    Those are wireless network around you (eg. neighbors).

    > We did get it to work now. She can communicate from one computer to the
    > other. She used the same WEB for incription on both computers and that for
    > some reason did the trick.
    >
    > But she sees other networks (which are not hers) and likes to HIde or
    > totally get rid of them. Can that be done?

    Go to your neighbor's house, turn off their wifi device (take it home
    with you if you don't want them to turn it back on).

    > Probably not, I guess. What the adapter sees, it sees. Right?

    Correct. It is safe to ignore other wifi networks. Just make sure you
    are not connecting to their network.

    Ron, Dec 8, 2006
  9. Hi

    The status of reality is described here.

    Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    display?

    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal

    Functionally, I would divide the issue into two parts.

    1. Making sure that others do not connect to your family Wireless.

    That can be achieved by using security measure like WPA-PSK, or better
    WPA-AES (if existing in your hardware).

    2. Avoiding your Family connecting to other folks Wireless Network.

    If you are using Windows Zero Configuration (WZC), it is a matter of
    self-control, and setting WZC as described by Len and other posters.

    Otherwise disable WZC ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ), and use the
    original Wireless utility that came with the card. Many of the propriety
    Wireless utilities can be set in a manner that would make it harder to
    connect to other Wireless Networks.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 8, 2006
  10. Ritter197

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 13:51:07 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Hi
    >
    >The status of reality is described here.
    >
    >Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    >display?
    >
    >http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    >
    >Functionally, I would divide the issue into two parts.
    >
    >1. Making sure that others do not connect to your family Wireless.
    >
    >That can be achieved by using security measure like WPA-PSK, or better
    >WPA-AES (if existing in your hardware).
    >
    >2. Avoiding your Family connecting to other folks Wireless Network.
    >
    >If you are using Windows Zero Configuration (WZC), it is a matter of
    >self-control, and setting WZC as described by Len and other posters.
    >
    >Otherwise disable WZC ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ), and use the
    >original Wireless utility that came with the card. Many of the propriety
    >Wireless utilities can be set in a manner that would make it harder to
    >connect to other Wireless Networks.

    It's important to set a unique SSID. Otherwise your wireless clients
    will connect to any other network with the same default SSID no matter
    what you do in QZC or proprietary software.

    John Navas, Dec 8, 2006