Uninstall/reinstall problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pat, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Hi,

    WindowsXP is unable to uninstall cleanly HP printer software. Parts of the
    program remain on the Start and Programs menus.

    When I try to reinstall it tell me "The installer has detected that you have
    already completed the installation of this software."

    Anyone know what action I should take.

    Thanks in advance.

    Pat
    Pat, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Pat

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > WindowsXP is unable to uninstall cleanly HP printer software. Parts of
    > the
    > program remain on the Start and Programs menus.
    >

    > When I try to reinstall it tell me "The installer has detected that you
    > have
    > already completed the installation of this software."
    >

    > Anyone know what action I should take.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Pat

    How are you trying to remove it, from the "add remove" or from the start,
    programs menu? I have had this trouble with a couple Lexmark printers
    before, where I had to remove stuff from the start, programs menu after
    using the add, remove before it was all gone.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Aug 16, 2006

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > How are you trying to remove it, from the "add remove"

    Yes

    > I had to remove stuff from the start, programs menu after using the add,
    > remove before it was all gone.

    Having now done this also the "Found new hardware" detected a previous
    attempt to install but then a window - Bad structure error - appeared with
    the message "Cant find the product ini file" appeared.

    Pat, Aug 16, 2006
  4. Having recently installed a HP 5610 printer and had exactly the same problem
    as you, I suggest that each time you reboot you make sure the printer is
    SWITCHED OFF. Failing to do this causes problems like the one you mention
    but this problem is not stated in the instruction manual.

    If this doesn't work then sorry I don't know the answer to your problem.

    John

    John Rampling, Aug 16, 2006
  5. Pat

    bmoag Guest

    I could be mean and say buy an Epson, however printer/scanner drivers from
    Epson can wreak similar havoc.
    In fact when I had a similar problem with an Epson driver Epson gave me
    instructions on how to do this.
    If you can go to a system restore point before your problems began try that
    first.
    If that is not possible:
    You have to do a search and destroy manual uninstallation.
    HP may tell you if you ask exactly what files, dlls and registry entries are
    created by their drivers or you may be able to find this info on the web. If
    you can find this info your problems are solved.
    Otherwise:
    Manually delete the HP files from My Programs, or wherever they are.
    Search down and delete the files that are installed in Windows, usually in
    the System 32 and Spool/Printers.
    Now for the dangerous and most important part: you may have to search your
    registry and delete the references HP inserted because that is what is
    causing the problem.
    Back up the registry first/create a System Restore point.
    Then scan for references to HP and your printer. Alas many of the references
    are generic and do not/should not be deleted, but if you exercise good
    judgment you will be able to discern which ones can be deleted. You do not
    have to be overly agressive about this as usually it is one aberrant entry
    in the registry that can cause what you experience.
    Reboot after every step (save the registry for last) and see if that clears
    the problem.
    bmoag, Aug 16, 2006