    something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Lori
    kayla, Mar 20, 2008

  2. kayla

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 20, 2:29 am, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
    > I bought an HP laptop with Symantec and a free trial for a month. I
    > do not want to continue with it but it just doesn't want to leave. I
    > went through every which way to remove it but I must be missing
    > something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    > program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Lori

    Download the removal software (freebee) run & reboot. Good luck. :)
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    sandy58, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Welcome to Norton Hell.

    When I wanted to remove Norton, I had to use Add and Remove Programs to take
    out the big chunks, but then go into the registry with regedit and search
    for and remove all instances of "Symantic". I do not remember clearly, but I
    might have had to repeat regedit for instances of "Norton" as well.

    It was a real bitch to wipe it from my system.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 20, 2008
  4. kayla

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > Welcome to Norton Hell.
    >
    > When I wanted to remove Norton, I had to use Add and Remove Programs
    > to take out the big chunks, but then go into the registry with regedit
    > and search for and remove all instances of "Symantic". I do not
    > remember clearly, but I might have had to repeat regedit for instances
    > of "Norton" as well.
    >
    > It was a real bitch to wipe it from my system.
    >

    > "kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
    >>I bought an HP laptop with Symantec and a free trial for a month. I
    >> do not want to continue with it but it just doesn't want to leave. I
    >> went through every which way to remove it but I must be missing
    >> something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    >> program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Lori

    I remove stuff like that before I let my clients get their hands on the
    machine or connect it to the internet. These programs are worse than
    virus! Typical M$ behaviour, it should be your choice to install any
    program, not have it forced on you by default.

    I once billed a company for removing this stuff. When they argued about
    paying, It was pointed out that they had been told that it was not
    wanted at the time of purchase but they supplied the machine with it on
    anyway. They tried to say that all machines came that way with it
    pre-loaded. Needless to say they ended up paying!

    Trouble is most users don't know what software they are getting when
    they buy a machine and are not savvy enough to refuse "free" !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Mar 20, 2008
  5. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome to Norton Hell.
    >>
    >> When I wanted to remove Norton, I had to use Add and Remove Programs
    >> to take out the big chunks, but then go into the registry with regedit
    >> and search for and remove all instances of "Symantic". I do not
    >> remember clearly, but I might have had to repeat regedit for instances
    >> of "Norton" as well.
    >>
    >> It was a real bitch to wipe it from my system.
    >>

    >> "kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
    >>>I bought an HP laptop with Symantec and a free trial for a month. I
    >>> do not want to continue with it but it just doesn't want to leave. I
    >>> went through every which way to remove it but I must be missing
    >>> something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    >>> program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Lori

    > I remove stuff like that before I let my clients get their hands on the
    > machine or connect it to the internet. These programs are worse than
    > virus! Typical M$ behaviour, it should be your choice to install any
    > program, not have it forced on you by default.
    >
    > I once billed a company for removing this stuff. When they argued about
    > paying, It was pointed out that they had been told that it was not
    > wanted at the time of purchase but they supplied the machine with it on
    > anyway. They tried to say that all machines came that way with it
    > pre-loaded. Needless to say they ended up paying!
    >
    > Trouble is most users don't know what software they are getting when
    > they buy a machine and are not savvy enough to refuse "free" !
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    I used Norton for a few years, then switched to McAfee, or vice versa -- it
    doesn't really matter, they're both a pain in the ass. Anyway, the
    royal pain! I could not get whatever was there to go away, and whichever I
    installed after I finally got the first one out just kept getting in the way
    .. I used it until it expired, and had to go into the Registry to wipe it
    clean. Sheesh!
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 21, 2008
  6. kayla

    Kevin Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome to Norton Hell.
    >>
    >> When I wanted to remove Norton, I had to use Add and Remove Programs
    >> to take out the big chunks, but then go into the registry with regedit
    >> and search for and remove all instances of "Symantic". I do not
    >> remember clearly, but I might have had to repeat regedit for instances
    >> of "Norton" as well.
    >>
    >> It was a real bitch to wipe it from my system.
    >>

    >> "kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
    >>>I bought an HP laptop with Symantec and a free trial for a month. I
    >>> do not want to continue with it but it just doesn't want to leave. I
    >>> went through every which way to remove it but I must be missing
    >>> something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    >>> program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Lori

    > I remove stuff like that before I let my clients get their hands on the
    > machine or connect it to the internet. These programs are worse than
    > virus! Typical M$ behaviour, it should be your choice to install any
    > program, not have it forced on you by default.

    Microsoft has nothing to do with Symantec making deals with computer makers
    to put Norton on computers. Symantec makes the same deals that AOL and
    Earthlink make with computer makers to place their software on new systems.

    > I once billed a company for removing this stuff. When they argued about
    > paying, It was pointed out that they had been told that it was not
    > wanted at the time of purchase but they supplied the machine with it on
    > anyway. They tried to say that all machines came that way with it
    > pre-loaded. Needless to say they ended up paying!

    What company?

    > Trouble is most users don't know what software they are getting when
    > they buy a machine and are not savvy enough to refuse "free" !

    That's a true statement! Personally, I detest Symantec and I offer to
    remove it from my clients systems and replace it with software that is much
    easier on system resources. And free.

    Kevin, Mar 21, 2008
  7. kayla

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 7:29 am, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
    > I bought an HP laptop with Symantec and a free trial for a month. I
    > do not want to continue with it but it just doesn't want to leave. I
    > went through every which way to remove it but I must be missing
    > something. I should have the right to choose my own anti virus
    > program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Lori

    Click on this. www.symantec.com/nrt
    , Mar 21, 2008
  8. kayla

    kayla Guest

    kayla, Mar 21, 2008
  9. kayla

    kayla Guest

    >I remove stuff like that before I let my clients get their hands on the
    >machine or connect it to the internet. These programs are worse than
    >virus!

    I have never had that problem before because I have had my other pc's
    customized for what I need. That's the best way to go but it's not
    always possible, like my laptop.

    Lori
    kayla, Mar 21, 2008
  10. kayla

    Baron Guest

    Kevin wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>> Welcome to Norton Hell.
    >>>
    >>> When I wanted to remove Norton, I had to use Add and Remove Programs
    >>> to take out the big chunks, but then go into the registry with
    >>> regedit and search for and remove all instances of "Symantic". I do
    >>> not remember clearly, but I might have had to repeat regedit for
    >>> instances of "Norton" as well.
    >>>
    >>> It was a real bitch to wipe it from my system.
    >>>

    >>> "kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message

    >> I remove stuff like that before I let my clients get their hands on
    >> the
    >> machine or connect it to the internet. These programs are worse than
    >> virus! Typical M$ behaviour, it should be your choice to install any
    >> program, not have it forced on you by default.

    > Microsoft has nothing to do with Symantec making deals with computer
    > makers
    > to put Norton on computers. Symantec makes the same deals that AOL
    > and Earthlink make with computer makers to place their software on new
    > systems.

    I should have said "M$ like" behaviour ! But I agree they don't have
    anything to do with each other.

    >> I once billed a company for removing this stuff. When they argued
    >> about paying, It was pointed out that they had been told that it was
    >> not wanted at the time of purchase but they supplied the machine with
    >> it on anyway. They tried to say that all machines came that way with
    >> it pre-loaded. Needless to say they ended up paying!

    > What company?

    Client confidentiality, sorry ! About as much as I can add is UK Co.

    Baron, Mar 21, 2008