    update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
    anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
    remove programs? thankn john
    John B, Aug 31, 2007

  2. John B

    Guest

    "John B" <> wrote:

    >hi
    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
    >update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
    >anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
    >remove programs?

    Uninstall using the add remove programs, then run Nortons remove
    program. http://tinyurl.com/6oq8f
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    --
    200,000 Elliptical Galaxies Point the Same Way
    http://science.slashdot.org/science/07/08/30/1516224.shtml

  3. John B

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you do not use add-remove programs to get Norton's software out of
    your computer, you will be in for a very big registration management
    problem. This can take a number of hours to accomplish by someone who
    knows what they are doing, and there is the danger of damaging the
    registry with manual changes to the registry.

    Why not stay with Norton's antivirus??? It's supposed to be a good one.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Aug 31, 2007
  4. John B

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:12:09 -0400, "Jerry G." <>
    wrote:

    >If you do not use add-remove programs to get Norton's software out of
    >your computer, you will be in for a very big registration management
    >problem. This can take a number of hours to accomplish by someone who
    >knows what they are doing, and there is the danger of damaging the
    >registry with manual changes to the registry.
    >
    >Why not stay with Norton's antivirus??? It's supposed to be a good one.

    "Supposed to be" and "is" are entirely different categories, and Norton doesn't
    belong in either.

    It actually belongs in the "Quick! Kill it before it multiplies!" category.

    --
    People in the computer industry use the word "user", which to them
    means "idiot". -Dave Barry
    Mara, Aug 31, 2007
  5. John B

    Tester Guest

    You're probably not supposed to do this after your subscription has
    expired but you can download files ending in i32.exe from
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/AVDEFS/norton_antivirus and use them to update
    your virus definitions.

    If this stops working, there are other ways to update from these
    downloads which are probably Google-able.

    Of course, you can get free AVG from Grisoft and there's a free DOS
    version of f-prot which you can use for scanning files so you don't
    really need Norton. (DOS f-prot isn't being upgraded but the
    definition files are being updated and they've been known to catch a
    new piece of malware before Norton which may be a recommendation for
    their non-free Windows program.)

    The best antivirus program of all is between your ears.
    Tester, Aug 31, 2007
  6. John B

    Plato Guest

    John B wrote:

    > I'am getting ready to delete Norton's anti virus from my Dell computer(
    > update has expired) and download AVG and Commander firewall, both free. Can
    > anybody tell me the best way to uninstall Norton's other than using the add
    > remove programs? thankn john

    If the add/remove doesn't work that well try the unistall utils on this
    page:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/