    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    > system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
    > you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

    No.

    Harry, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Harry wrote:
    >>A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    >>system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
    >>you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

    > No.

    oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
    don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

    now, can you explain your answer a little?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:40:32 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    >system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >
    >Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
    >you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

    No. This makes it easier for everyone, and almost guarantees driver
    support in the future.

    Also, many Joes don't actually know the details of their card, except
    the manufacturer.

    The big problem, however, is that they don't include the mobile
    graphics cards in the unified drivers. For instance, Doom 3 requires
    the latest drivers, and would not work with the (latest) Mobility
    Radeon 9600 drivers in my laptop, as ASUS haven't released a driver
    since about January. I had to mod the ATI Catalyst drivers to make
    them work on my laptop, and hence get Doom 3 going.

    (http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ for anyone else in the same boat).

    But, hell, was it worth it or what!!

    Gurble, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    theseus Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    > system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >
    > Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
    > product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
    > driver?

    It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with all the
    drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

    theseus, Aug 4, 2004
  6. theseus wrote:
    >>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
    >>product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
    >>driver?

    > It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with all the
    > drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

    ok then, maybe I just long for the 18kb driver download I have with my
    NIC, rather than the 18mb download for video drivers...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > theseus wrote:
    >>> Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the
    >>> product you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades"
    >>> driver?

    >> It IS the driver specifically made for your product, bundled with
    >> all the drivers for the rest of their products in one installer

    > ok then, maybe I just long for the 18kb driver download I have with my
    > NIC, rather than the 18mb download for video drivers...

    Yeah, I think that's more the issue. Especially if the manufacturer updates
    drivers frequently. I must have a gig of 'Detonator' drivers from over the
    past few years.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >>>A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    >>>system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >>>Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
    >>>you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

    >> No.

    > oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
    > don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

    You asked a question and I gave you the answer.

    Harry, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Harry wrote:
    >>oh wow, thanks for that answer, that clarifies it all for me now, I
    >>don't see how I could have got it all so wrong...

    > You asked a question and I gave you the answer.

    >>now, can you explain your answer a little?

    > No.

    thanks harry, as always, you've been as helpfull as I expected.

    you made me smile, which may or may not have been your intent, either
    way, thanks.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Yeah, I think that's more the issue. Especially if the manufacturer
    > updates drivers frequently. I must have a gig of 'Detonator' drivers
    > from over the past few years.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    It is not called the bleading edge for nothing...
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 5, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >A few years back quite a few companies moved to a unified driver
    >system(nvidia, intel, ati, via).
    >
    >Wouldn't it be better to have drivers made specifically for the product
    >you're using rather than some generic "Jack of all trades" driver?

    That would depend on internal details of their chips, software interface
    etc. They probably do unified drivers because the extra cost of
    including code not used by your particular hardware is outweighed by the
    savings in building and distributing common code, offering only one
    download package, simpler support etc.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 8, 2004