Unicode text file shown in popped-up Notepad window

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by yong321@yahoo.com, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    When one friend and I access
    http://rootshell.be/~yong321/misc/qqq.txt
    a notepad window pops up as if you're trying to view source. Another
    friend tells me his browser shows the text in the browser window
    correctly. We all use IE6. The file has Unicode text in it (I typed it
    in Notepad using XP IME, input method editor, and saved by checking
    Unicode in Notepad.)

    My .txt is associated with Notepad and clicking a .txt file in Windows
    Explorer opens it with Notepad:

    C:\>assoc .txt
    ..txt=txtfile

    C:\>ftype txtfile
    txtfile=%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

    Strangely, dragging my qqq.txt from Windows Explorer on local harddrive
    to IE shows the text in IE. IE just refuses to load it if the file is
    accessed through http://...

    Other than telling users to use other browsers, how can I make sure the
    text is shown in IE browser when accessed on the Web? Thanks for help.

    Yong Huang
    yong321ATyahoo.com

    , Aug 16, 2005

  2. pcbutts1 Guest