  1. The proportion of Web pages encoded in UTF-8 is approaching 50%, while both
    ASCII and ISO-8859-1 (and friends) are in decline.

    <http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Unicode-dominates-web-918063.html>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance, but your subject line and post body
    together conflate "Unicode" with "UTF-8". I thought UTF-16 (as
    successor to UCS-2) is just as much Unicode as UTF-8.

    Does anyone encode web pages in UTF-16? Perhaps naively, I expect web
    servers to use it, because Java and Windows do; maybe the endian
    ambiguity or the nulls discourage it.

    Any enlightenment appreciated, John

    John Little, Feb 7, 2010

  3. In message <3ef09d86-5163-4402-bcd7-
    >, John Little wrote:

    > Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance, but your subject line and post body
    > together conflate "Unicode" with "UTF-8".

    UTF-8 is by far the most common representation for Unicode right now.

    > I thought UTF-16 (as successor to UCS-2) is just as much Unicode as UTF-8.

    It would be nice to see that supported more in future, mainly because UTF-8
    is unnecessarily bulky for text that is predominantly in non-Roman scripts.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 8, 2010