Unexplained System Crashes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Greg Barber, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Greg Barber

    Greg Barber Guest

    Hi,

    My PC has been experiencing some unexplained system crashes mainly during
    startup. It would get to the desktop and then between 30 seconds and two
    minutes later just freeze. I can do things during the time before the hang
    but after that a hard reset is all I can do. After the restart the sytem
    may take several attempts (max of 5 so far, where I can get anyway between a
    video card detection problem to a BSOD during windows startup) to get it
    running normally but once up and running it seems to be trouble free.

    I have also had some uncharacteristic hangs, BSOD's and full resets at other
    times but nowhere near the number of problems during startup. I think it has
    something to do with the motherboard as I don't seem to remember it
    happening before my last MB/CPU upgrade. I have recently formatted and done
    a clean install of windows and installed the latest drivers for my hardware
    with no joy.

    Any ideas??? Because I am now stumped. Any help appreciated

    System info:
    Athlon 2400XP
    Gygabyte GA-7VRX MB
    512MB 2700DDR Kingston
    GeForce4 4400Ti 128MB (WinFast) 44.03 detonators
    Windows XP Pro (No Service Pack...may be an option, just thought of it:))

    Other Peripherals:
    Microsoft Explorer Mouse USB
    SMC- EZ Connect USB Ethernet device
    Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem
    Logitech MOMO Force USB

    Regards
    Greg

    Greg Barber, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Greg Barber

    trout Guest

    Greg Barber wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My PC has been experiencing some unexplained system crashes mainly
    > during startup. It would get to the desktop and then between 30
    > seconds and two minutes later just freeze. I can do things during
    > the time before the hang but after that a hard reset is all I can do.
    > After the restart the sytem may take several attempts (max of 5 so
    > far, where I can get anyway between a video card detection problem to
    > a BSOD during windows startup) to get it running normally but once up
    > and running it seems to be trouble free.
    >
    > I have also had some uncharacteristic hangs, BSOD's and full resets
    > at other times but nowhere near the number of problems during
    > startup. I think it has something to do with the motherboard as I
    > don't seem to remember it happening before my last MB/CPU upgrade. I
    > have recently formatted and done a clean install of windows and
    > installed the latest drivers for my hardware with no joy.
    >
    > Any ideas??? Because I am now stumped. Any help appreciated
    >
    > System info:
    > Athlon 2400XP
    > Gygabyte GA-7VRX MB
    > 512MB 2700DDR Kingston
    > GeForce4 4400Ti 128MB (WinFast) 44.03 detonators
    > Windows XP Pro (No Service Pack...may be an option, just thought of
    > it:))
    >
    > Other Peripherals:
    > Microsoft Explorer Mouse USB
    > SMC- EZ Connect USB Ethernet device
    > Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem
    > Logitech MOMO Force USB
    >
    > Regards
    > Greg

    Man, you *have* got problems. I really don't know what to suggest,
    aside from noting that there's probably nothing to lose at this point by
    trying the Service Pack; and having a look at what's in your start-up
    folder. You may be loading things that are unnecessary, or broken.
    You could try to pare-down your start-ups to the bare bones, and
    adding things to see when it breaks.
    --
    "But this isn't much more than 'thinking out loud'."

    trout, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Greg Barber

    Unk Guest

    Most common cause seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops rebooting.

    Check the rating of the PSU. Should be 300w or 350w

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Greg Barber

    Greg M Guest

    When you did the windows re-install did you remove all the usb items
    except for the mouse?

    Is your proc running at it's default speed?

    Are your vid card drivers regular GeForce drivers, not aftermarket?

    Barring a power supply problem, I'd reinstall the vid drivers.

    Greg M, Jul 27, 2003