    should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?

    kindest,

    - bram

    Bram de Jong, Jun 13, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (Bram de Jong) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
    > non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
    > with GROWTH possibilities...
    >
    > Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
    > with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...
    >
    > Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
    > should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?
    >
    > kindest,
    >
    > - bram

    It depends on how serious you are about improving. A small
    point'n'shoot is probably what you want if it will be at least a year
    before taking serious photos. If sooner, spend more on a DSLR and add
    lenses as needed.

    Starting off with an inexpensive camera makes sense. It teaches you the
    limitations of photography, saves you money, takes pictures as well as
    you can, and the expensive camera you buy in a year or two will have
    better technology than today's.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Bram de Jong

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    (Bram de Jong) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
    > non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
    > with GROWTH possibilities...
    >
    > Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
    > with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...

    It seems to be an excellent camera but GROWTH could mean for example you
    need another lens, so to me it sounds like you want a DSLR....

    > Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
    > should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?

    One which opens up the world of add-on flashes, macro lenses,
    super-teles, filters, etc.

    If you mean by GROWTH creative growth, get the Olympus 8080 if it
    appeals to you. (which is important...) Henri Cartier Bresson shot most
    of his millions of images with a 50mm, and only a few with a 35mm lens.
    There are other photographers who created entire bodies of work with a
    Rolleiflex with fixed 80mm lens. A certain limitation may actually do
    your creativity good... If you have only 1 lens, you will think more
    about the image than about what lens to use...
    ;-)
    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Jun 13, 2004
  4. "Bram de Jong" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a relatively unexperienced photographer (like most
    > non-professionals, I guess) and I'm looking at buying a GOOD camera
    > with GROWTH possibilities...
    >
    > Right now I'm looking at the Olympus C-8080WZ, it seems a solid cam
    > with lot's of feature and a good lens, ...
    >
    > Are there some camera's in the same range of price/features/quality I
    > should be looking at or would any prosumer camera really fit my needs?
    >
    > kindest,

    Since you typed "GROWTH" I'd advise you look at DSLRs.

    Charles Schuler, Jun 13, 2004