    2. When logging off going to another user account.

    The motherboard is not overheating.

    Where do I start in trying to solve this?

    Myrt Webb, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Myrt Webb

    mikeFNB Guest

    look at event viewer see if something is showing an error.

    i know this is old hat, but it could be virus related also, bagel & a few
    others gave that exactsymptom on xp.

    mike

    "Myrt Webb" <> wrote in message
    > My XP Pro computer shuts down unexpectedly when I
    > sometimes:
    >
    > 1. Use IE while going to a URL.
    > 2. When logging off going to another user account.
    >
    > The motherboard is not overheating.
    >
    > Where do I start in trying to solve this?

    ---

    mikeFNB, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Myrt Webb

    Malke Guest

    Myrt Webb wrote:

    > My XP Pro computer shuts down unexpectedly when I
    > sometimes:
    >
    > 1. Use IE while going to a URL.
    > 2. When logging off going to another user account.
    >
    > The motherboard is not overheating.
    >
    > Where do I start in trying to solve this?

    Here are the first troubleshooting steps:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions;

    2) remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy
    (www.safer-networking.org) and Ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com). These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from
    http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html. I would
    not install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there
    are CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. A combination of
    HijackThis and About:Buster (http://www.majorgeeks.com) works well in
    removing homepage hijackers. Always read the instructions before
    running a spyware removal tool. Be sure to update these programs before
    running, and it is a good idea to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode.
    Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
    in Folder Options);

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update;
    5) run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Myrt Webb

    TW Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Myrt Webb wrote:
    >
    >> My XP Pro computer shuts down unexpectedly when I
    >> sometimes:
    >>
    >> 1. Use IE while going to a URL.
    >> 2. When logging off going to another user account.
    >>
    >> The motherboard is not overheating.
    >>
    >> Where do I start in trying to solve this?

    > Here are the first troubleshooting steps:
    >
    > 1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    > antivirus using updated definitions;
    >
    > 2) remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy
    > (www.safer-networking.org) and Ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com). These
    > programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    > There is a new version of CWShredder from
    > http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html. I would
    > not install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there
    > are CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at
    > http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. A combination of
    > HijackThis and About:Buster (http://www.majorgeeks.com) works well in
    > removing homepage hijackers. Always read the instructions before
    > running a spyware removal tool. Be sure to update these programs before
    > running, and it is a good idea to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode.
    > Make sure you are able to see all hidden files and extensions (View tab
    > in Folder Options);
    >
    > 3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    > Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    > must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    > the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    > Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).
    >
    > 4) make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    > patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update;
    > 5) run a firewall.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    After trying the above fixes, an unexpected shutdown is usually an
    indication of hardware failure. Usually the power supply, any fans that are
    dusted up and or froze up due to dust, and sometimes the motherboard. Start
    replacing parts in that order to minimize cost.

    TW, Nov 10, 2004