    well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    Any recommendations on disposable cameras?

    TIA

    BIGEYE, Sep 25, 2008

  2. BIGEYE

    DD-Diver Guest

    "BIGEYE" <> schreef in bericht
    news:48db1d29$0$26075$...
    > Just got myself a Canon Powershot G9 (on sale). I am off on holiday in a
    > couple of weeks and was considering getting the Canon underwater case for
    > the camera. Should I spend approx £120 for the case or will I be just as
    > well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    > Any recommendations on disposable cameras?
    >
    > TIA

    Depends on what you will be doing:
    - beach/swimming: get a disposable uw-camera
    - snorkeling: better get a housing (the one from Canon will do nicely), just
    in case
    - diving: forget about disposable, the Canon one may also be your choice if
    you really want to take pictures better than snapshot quality: get a special
    uw housing such as the Ikelite-ones; mind you: quite expensive, but
    expandable with external flash.

    Have a nice holiday!

    DD-Diver

    DD-Diver, Sep 25, 2008

  3. BIGEYE

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:09:57 +0100, "BIGEYE"
    <> wrote:

    >Just got myself a Canon Powershot G9 (on sale). I am off on holiday in a
    >couple of weeks and was considering getting the Canon underwater case for
    >the camera. Should I spend approx £120 for the case or will I be just as
    >well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    >Any recommendations on disposable cameras?

    It depends on what you'll be doing. If you are going to just snorkel,
    the disposable camera will take pictures. Not good, but probably
    recognizable as photographs. If you are going to dive, the disposable
    camera will be worthless at any depth greater than a few feet.

    The G9 may get some good shots in clear water at 12'/15' or so, but
    not much deeper. The problem will more due to the flash than anything
    else. Without a strong flash, you won't get decent images at any
    significant depth. Your images will be blue without an external
    flash.

    My daughter took this shot of me with a Canon AS6 35mm film camera
    without external flash, but it was at about 15' down in "Sting Ray
    City" in the Cayman Islands.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/skins.jpg

    Do some reading on underwater photography before you go no matter what
    equipment you take. It's entirely different from photography on the
    surface. You lose light with every foot of depth, and the water
    magnifies what you see in the viewfinder.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 25, 2008
  4. BIGEYE

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:09:57 +0100, "BIGEYE"
    <> somehow managed to impart:

    >Just got myself a Canon Powershot G9 (on sale). I am off on holiday in a
    >couple of weeks and was considering getting the Canon underwater case for
    >the camera. Should I spend approx £120 for the case or will I be just as
    >well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    >Any recommendations on disposable cameras?

    Why not consider a second, pocketable, waterproof camera..?

    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/optio_w60.html>

    Should be no need to dispose of it!

    Dave.
    <http://www.henniker.org.uk> 3300 photos especially
    Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
    Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.

    Dave, Sep 25, 2008
  5. BIGEYE

    HerHusband Guest

    > Just got myself a Canon Powershot G9 (on sale). I am off on holiday in
    > a couple of weeks and was considering getting the Canon underwater
    > case for the camera. Should I spend approx £120 for the case or will I
    > be just as well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    > Any recommendations on disposable cameras?

    We used disposable waterproof cameras on a few vacations, but the quality
    really varied from one camera to the next. Not to mention the expense and
    hassles of having to get the film developed, special handling through
    airport screenings, etc.

    I looked for a waterproof housing for our Fuji F10, but the housings cost
    more than I paid for the camera. I was also concerned if the housing
    failed we could lose all the other vacation photos on the camera as well.

    In the end, I decided to buy a Pentax W30 underwater digital camera. It
    worked great for all of our snorkeling pictures and can even take movies
    underwater. I used it for a few ground based pictures as well.

    You can see some of the underwater pictures I took on our last vacation on
    my trip report page at www.mountain-software.com/kauai2008.htm. If you
    click the "Watch the Video" link, the second half of the video has a few
    minutes of underwater footage I shot with the Pentax W30.

    Sure beats disposables...

    Take care,

    Anthony

    HerHusband, Sep 25, 2008
  6. On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, BIGEYE wrote:

    B> Just got myself a Canon Powershot G9 (on sale). I am off on holiday in a
    B> couple of weeks and was considering getting the Canon underwater case for
    B> the camera. Should I spend approx ?120 for the case or will I be just as
    B> well buying disposable underwater cameras?
    B> Any recommendations on disposable cameras?

    I have an underwater case for my Fuji F31. It is fun for diving but the
    quality is, as someone else has said, of the snapshot level
    http://photo.clifford.ac/2007/Barbados.October/scuba/tn/dscf0528.jpg.index.html

    In Cuba, where there is reef just below the surface about 10 feet from the
    beach it was useful for snorkeling and you get the movie mode that
    disposibles doesn't have
    http://photo.clifford.ac/2007/Cuba.July/scubaandsnorkel/movies/dscf0346.avi
    (painfully slow download from my computer)

    And just for taking photos on the beach, the case keeps out the sand and
    water.

    Someone mentioned the risk of loosing all the other holiday photos if the
    case failed. I always put in a different card.

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )

    Alan Clifford, Sep 26, 2008
  7. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    Thanks for all the advice, I have bought the underwater case. Now all I have
    to do is learn to use the camera.

    BIGEYE, Sep 27, 2008