Understanding network bridging in Windows XP

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by wifi, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. wifi

    wifi Guest

    Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to the
    Internet.

    Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
    range

    Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
    wired network,
    the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.

    From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly due
    to the gateway).
    The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.

    Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
    experimental network again),
    is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd host
    on the other network
    using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
    notebook as a router
    and adding static routes if necessary).

    Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
    non-overlapping) range?
    wifi, Aug 31, 2003

  2. In article <#>, "wifi"
    <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to the
    >Internet.
    >
    >Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
    >range
    >
    >Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
    >wired network,
    >the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.
    >
    >From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly due
    >to the gateway).
    >The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.
    >
    >Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
    >experimental network again),
    >is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd host
    >on the other network
    >using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
    >notebook as a router
    >and adding static routes if necessary).
    >
    >Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
    >non-overlapping) range?

    Think of the network bridge as a virtual hub, and think of the bridged
    network connections as ports on a virtual hub. Like a physical hub,
    the network bridge has no routing capability. It simply repeats
    incoming packets from each port on all of the other ports.

    The network bridge was designed to combine two or more physically
    separate networks into one virtual network with one IP subnet, one
    DHCP server, etc.

    By the way, 172.1.a.b is a public IP range. The private IP range is
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255. Details here:

    Address Allocation for Private Internets
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt

    I hope that you're enjoying your experiments!
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Aug 31, 2003

  3. wifi

    wifi Guest

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > In article <#>, "wifi"
    > <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    > >Have a wired network, Network A, using 10.x.y.z range, with a gateway to

    the
    > >Internet.
    > >
    > >Also have a totally separate wireless network, Network B, using 172.1.a.b
    > >range
    > >
    > >Have a notebook running WinXP Pro with 2 network interfaces, one for the
    > >wired network,
    > >the other wireless. I bridge the 2 interfaces.
    > >
    > >From a PC on Network A, I cannot ping a computer on Network B (possibly

    due
    > >to the gateway).
    > >The PC on Network B has its firewall disabled, of course.
    > >
    > >Before I go and make IP configuration changes (and re-set up my little
    > >experimental network again),
    > >is it possible for a host on either network to communicate with a 2nd

    host
    > >on the other network
    > >using the Bridge? (Yes, I know I can get it to work by setting up my
    > >notebook as a router
    > >and adding static routes if necessary).
    > >
    > >Or is Bridging only meant for separate networks that use the same IP (but
    > >non-overlapping) range?

    > Think of the network bridge as a virtual hub, and think of the bridged
    > network connections as ports on a virtual hub. Like a physical hub,
    > the network bridge has no routing capability. It simply repeats
    > incoming packets from each port on all of the other ports.
    >
    > The network bridge was designed to combine two or more physically
    > separate networks into one virtual network with one IP subnet, one
    > DHCP server, etc.
    >
    > By the way, 172.1.a.b is a public IP range. The private IP range is
    > 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255. Details here:
    >
    > Address Allocation for Private Internets
    > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt
    >
    > I hope that you're enjoying your experiments!
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Thanks for the heads up Steve.