Understanding lens perspective

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jay, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Jay, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Jay

    Dirty Harry Guest

    Dirty Harry, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Jay

    Charles Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:42:24 GMT, Jay <> wrote:

    >Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen anywhere:
    >
    >http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

    what's old is new again. I remember learning this about 30 years ago,
    either from Pop. Photo or Modern Photo mag. Or maybe both.

    Charles, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Jay

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen

    anywhere:

    > http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

    The best I've seen remains chapter one, "Perspective", of Rudolf
    Kingslake's /Optics in Photography/. One point he makes is that
    a photograph has a "center of perspective". Correct perspective
    requires viewing the photograph from this point,

    so that the angles subtended at the eye by the various
    images in the picture will be the same as the subtense
    angles of the original objects at the camera lens.

    The distortion we observe in wide-angle photographs is due to
    viewing them from well behind their center of perspective. The
    distance-compression of long-focus lenses, we perceive because
    we view the photographs from closer in.

    --
    --Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Jay

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <rgrWe.1242$>,
    Bryan Olson <> wrote:
    >Jay wrote:
    > > Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen

    >anywhere:
    > >
    > > http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

    >The best I've seen remains chapter one, "Perspective", of Rudolf
    >Kingslake's /Optics in Photography/. One point he makes is that
    >a photograph has a "center of perspective". Correct perspective
    >requires viewing the photograph from this point,

    I've seen this referred to as the "station point", but not the "centre of
    perspective" before.

    >The distortion we observe in wide-angle photographs is due to
    >viewing them from well behind their center of perspective. The
    >distance-compression of long-focus lenses, we perceive because
    >we view the photographs from closer in.

    Indeed. Perhaps a good way to think about it is to imagine the photograph is
    stuck on a pane of glass in front of the original scene. The station point
    is where you'd have to stand in order to make the edges of the photo line up
    with the objects in the real scene that you can see through the glass.

    Chris Brown, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Jay

    Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:31:06 GMT, "Dirty Harry" <>
    wrote:

    >members only :-(

    Not.

    >"Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen anywhere:
    >>
    >> http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

    , Sep 19, 2005