Understanding ARC path question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by BagelBoy, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. BagelBoy

    BagelBoy Guest

    Hello,

    I have this exam prep question and answer (analysis) I can't get my
    head around:

    One of the domain controllers is not working due to disk damage. The
    disk with the following ARC path is not responding:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

    Controller 1: SCSI ID 0, SCSI ID 1
    Controller 2: SCSI ID 0, SCSI ID 1, SCSI ID 2, SCSI ID 3

    Analysis: According to the ARC path the disk with the SCSI ID 0 of the
    first controller is the damaged disk that has to be replaced.

    OK, the explanation for this analysis I'm given is:

    multi/scsi: multi is used with disks other than scsi, or the scsi disks
    that have their BIOS enabled. scsi is used with scsi disks that have
    their BIOS enbled.

    disk: disk is used with scsi option only. Otherwise, its value is set
    to 0. This is the ordinal number of disk, and its value starts from 0.

    rdisk: rdisk is used with multi option only. Otherwise, its value is
    set to 0. This is the ordinal number of disk, and its value starts from
    0.

    partition: this is the ordinal number of the hard disk partition, and
    its value starts from 1.

    This, the damaged disk is the disk with the SCSI ID - 0 of the first
    controller.

    HUH!? That really doesn't explain it very well as to why that anaylsis
    is correct. Can someone break this down for me and please explain to me
    what the answer would be if the ARC path was something else, say for
    instance, multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1), or
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1), or
    multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1), or...?

    What exactly does "rdisk" stand for? I did some research and even the
    microsoft support site doesn't really explain this in great detail,
    unless I'm going to the wrong sites. :)

    Thanks in advance,
    BB

    BagelBoy, Nov 12, 2005

  2. BagelBoy

    LRM Guest

    "BagelBoy" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have this exam prep question and answer (analysis) I can't get my
    > head around:
    >
    > One of the domain controllers is not working due to disk damage. The
    > disk with the following ARC path is not responding:
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
    >
    > Controller 1: SCSI ID 0, SCSI ID 1
    > Controller 2: SCSI ID 0, SCSI ID 1, SCSI ID 2, SCSI ID 3
    >
    > Analysis: According to the ARC path the disk with the SCSI ID 0 of the
    > first controller is the damaged disk that has to be replaced.
    >
    > OK, the explanation for this analysis I'm given is:
    >
    > multi/scsi: multi is used with disks other than scsi, or the scsi disks
    > that have their BIOS enabled. scsi is used with scsi disks that have
    > their BIOS enbled.
    >
    > disk: disk is used with scsi option only. Otherwise, its value is set
    > to 0. This is the ordinal number of disk, and its value starts from 0.
    >
    > rdisk: rdisk is used with multi option only. Otherwise, its value is
    > set to 0. This is the ordinal number of disk, and its value starts from
    > 0.
    >
    > partition: this is the ordinal number of the hard disk partition, and
    > its value starts from 1.
    >
    > This, the damaged disk is the disk with the SCSI ID - 0 of the first
    > controller.
    >
    > HUH!? That really doesn't explain it very well as to why that anaylsis
    > is correct. Can someone break this down for me and please explain to me
    > what the answer would be if the ARC path was something else, say for
    > instance, multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1), or
    > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1), or
    > multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1), or...?
    >
    > What exactly does "rdisk" stand for? I did some research and even the
    > microsoft support site doesn't really explain this in great detail,
    > unless I'm going to the wrong sites. :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > BB

    try this site, it has easier to understand explanations.
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/multiboot/boot_ini.htm

    It was written back in the bad old days of NT, but it still has good info.

    LRM, Nov 12, 2005