    video,
    pros and cons?
    which is more expensive?
    Sparky, Oct 23, 2007

  2. Sparky

    Jer Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > i am a certified scuba diver, (new at it)
    > i have a video camera and a digital little one with video capabilities
    > would it be better to get a waterproof casing for the camera or the
    > video,
    > pros and cons?
    > which is more expensive?

    The housing for the video is more expensive because you get what you pay
    for.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Sparky

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Sparky <> wrote:

    > i am a certified scuba diver, (new at it)
    > i have a video camera and a digital little one with video capabilities
    > would it be better to get a waterproof casing for the camera or the
    > video,
    > pros and cons?
    > which is more expensive?

    Depends on the camera models and your needs.
    Shawn Hirn, Oct 23, 2007
  4. Sparky

    ZenDiver Guest

    Sparky wrote:
    > i am a certified scuba diver, (new at it)
    > i have a video camera and a digital little one with video capabilities
    > would it be better to get a waterproof casing for the camera or the
    > video,
    > pros and cons?
    > which is more expensive?

    Like others have said it depends on what you want to house. Your
    decision may already have been made for you if there isn't a housing to
    fit your camera. Generally speaking, if your video camera is made by
    Sony it is likely to have a LANC terminal. You can get generic housings
    for Sony video cameras that use the LANC to control the camera. All
    housings for small digital still cameras use mechanical controls so each
    housing is specific to that camera.

    You can check whether there is a housing available for either your video
    or still camera at http://www.digideep.com. The site will also give you
    an idea of the cost involved.

    If there is a housing available for your still camera I would be
    inclined to go for that. It will likely be much cheaper than any
    housing for video. Also while it is probably easier to get great shots
    with video unless you spend the time to edit it properly you will be
    much less likely to bore your friends and family with stills.

    Take a look at http://www.digitaldiver.net also for more advice.
    ZenDiver, Oct 23, 2007
  5. Sparky

    Deep Reset Guest

    "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    >i am a certified scuba diver, (new at it)

    If you're new at it, before you take a camera underwater, make sure that
    your buoyancy control is
    completely automatic, ie, you don't have to think about it.
    This may take a number of dives, but it means you won't go floating off
    whilst framing
    a shot, or worse, sinking onto the reef or silty bottom.

    > i have a video camera and a digital little one with video capabilities
    > would it be better to get a waterproof casing for the camera or the
    > video,

    You don't say what the models are, but generally I'd go for the still
    camera.
    This will almost certainly have a strobe built in, whereas the video camera
    will require external
    lights.

    Deep Reset, Oct 23, 2007