Under $150 set top DVD recorder

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by luminos, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. luminos

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Oct 15, 2004

  2. luminos

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Oct 15, 2004

  3. luminos

    Bill in Co. Guest

    Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is too
    bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play the
    +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
    too.

    luminos wrote:
    > A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
    > arrived several months early:

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3168469&cat=62055&type
    =19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A62055

    Bill in Co., Oct 15, 2004
  4. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "Bill in Co." <> wrote in message
    > Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is
    > too
    > bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play
    > the
    > +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
    > too.

    Since I now have access to a large number of players and both -R and +R
    discs, I have found absolutely no problems with either format provided the
    unit was designed in the last three or so years.

    I prefer Pioneer set tops with DVD-VR on DVD-R (-RW) myself, but I simply
    point to this iLO (stupid name...probably some transmogrification of iMac)
    as meeting the price point criterion.

    luminos, Oct 15, 2004
  5. luminos

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Well,

    I like the DVDR-VCR recorders a lot, they make it so easy make copies of tapes.

    I have the Go-Video 3930 and it alows 3, 5, or 9 minute automatic chapters when
    you make a DVD copy of a VHS taps.

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Oct 15, 2004
  6. >I wish someone in Asia would teach manufacturers how to develop a brand name
    >:)

    I believe that iLo is a new Wal-Mart in-house marque for discount electronics;
    this time, it's a bad name choice by an American company.

    Better than calling it "Sam's Choice" I guess.

    Robert Morgan, Oct 15, 2004
  7. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:35:51 -0700, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >"Bill in Co." <> wrote in message
    >> Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is
    >> too
    >> bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play
    >> the
    >> +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
    >> too.

    >Since I now have access to a large number of players and both -R and +R
    >discs, I have found absolutely no problems with either format provided the
    >unit was designed in the last three or so years.
    >
    >I prefer Pioneer set tops with DVD-VR on DVD-R (-RW) myself, but I simply
    >point to this iLO (stupid name...probably some transmogrification of iMac)
    >as meeting the price point criterion.

    I do video scrapbooks on +R, and have had zero complaints from
    customers. I also run the final copy through several machines around
    here, and no problems noted.

    Dyuob Poltice, Oct 15, 2004
  8. I have the iLO myself. Simply because of the price and I had a CyberHome
    about a year ago and it sucked! I thought I'd try again, and it was is
    great.

    The only thing that sucks here is the remote! No zoom, the remote is small,
    and therefore the buttons are _very_ small and often 2 buttons end up
    getting pushed. Another minus most of the functions, like audio, sub
    titles, etc. have to accessed through the setup menu (no buttons on remote),
    but it does use the + and VR and will work weith PCs (the CyberHome would
    not). Quality is as good as it can be, and overall is an excellent unit. 8
    out of 10!!!

    --NCY

    Non-Comissioned Yank, Oct 15, 2004
  9. luminos

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Jordan Lund, Oct 15, 2004
  10. >I believe that iLo is a new Wal-Mart in-house marque for discount
    >electronics;
    >this time, it's a bad name choice by an American company.

    I thought Wal-Mart's brand was Durabrand. I have seen iLo, though.

    >Better than calling it "Sam's Choice" I guess.

    Or "Great Value." - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 15, 2004
  11. >
    >Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is too
    >bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play the
    >+R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
    >too.

    I'd buy a Sony DVD recorder. Supports everything short of DVD-RAM. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 15, 2004
  12. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >I believe that iLo is a new Wal-Mart in-house marque for discount
    >>electronics;
    >>this time, it's a bad name choice by an American company.
    >>

    > I thought Wal-Mart's brand was Durabrand. I have seen iLo, though.
    >

    >>Better than calling it "Sam's Choice" I guess.

    > Or "Great Value." - Reinhart

    Ah, my assumption stands corrected. iLO .. marketing genius of walmart.

    luminos, Oct 15, 2004
  13. >Ah, my assumption stands corrected. iLO .. marketing genius of walmart.

    I can only imagine the slogan.

    "i-Lo! The new "lo" in electronics!" - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 15, 2004
  14. "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
    > arrived several months early:
    >
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...cat=62055&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:62055

    Nice looking unit for $150. The only thing I don't like is the
    hookups on the back. Inputs: RF, AV, and S-Video. Output (video): RF
    Out (real rf modulator or just a passthru?), AV, S-Video, and RGB
    Component. Digital Output (audio): Optical and Coaxial. Wonder why
    it lacks component input and digital audio inputs? Even my
    four-year-old terapin vcd recorder has digital audio inputs. I wonder
    if any of the name brands will come down in price now that this unit
    is available?

    Joseph Phillips, Oct 16, 2004
  15. luminos

    doS Guest

    The MPA in the USA is trying to halt digital recording, even some cable
    systems dvr set top outputs are disabled.

    doS, Oct 16, 2004
  16. luminos

    3W Guest

    3W, Oct 17, 2004
  17. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "3W" <> wrote in message
    > Nice, but where's the dual layer recorders? Length is everything.

    Not when it costs $13 per disc.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2004
  18. luminos

    3W Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message

    > "3W" <> wrote in message
    > > Nice, but where's the dual layer recorders? Length is everything.

    > Not when it costs $13 per disc.

    That's what the single layers cost a while back.

    3W, Oct 17, 2004
  19. 9.99 at meritline

    Lonely Planet Boy, Oct 17, 2004
  20. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "Lonely Planet Boy" <> wrote in message
    > 9.99 at meritline

    That is for Ritek (actually 8.99). They are terrible! The dye substrate
    will blotch after burning and parts of the burn will be unreadable. Avoid
    Ritek dual layer.

    luminos, Oct 17, 2004