    Message follows:

    when i never have sent a message to this address. is it possible i have been
    hijacked somehow? is there a program i can run to find out?
    slownut, Sep 15, 2004

  2. slownut

    °Mike° Guest

    Either you, somebody in your address book, or
    somebody who has you in their address book
    is, or has been infected by a virus. This often
    happens because of a failure to "munge" your
    email address when posting to newsgroups, and
    your address gets picked up by bots.

    Please read the following carefully:

    How do spammers harvest email addresses
    http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

    Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address

    Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/

    Hide your email address
    http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:02:39 GMT, in
    <zd12d.226931$>
    slownut scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2004

  3. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Either you, somebody in your address book, or
    > somebody who has you in their address book
    > is, or has been infected by a virus. This often
    > happens because of a failure to "munge" your
    > email address when posting to newsgroups, and
    > your address gets picked up by bots.
    >
    > Please read the following carefully:
    >
    > How do spammers harvest email addresses
    > http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    >
    > Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    > http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    >
    > Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/
    >
    > Hide your email address
    > http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide
    >

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:02:39 GMT, in
    > <zd12d.226931$>
    > slownut scrawled:
    >
    >>I keep getting messages like...
    >>

    >>Undeliverable message to
    >>

    >>Message follows:
    >>

    >>when i never have sent a message to this address. is it possible i have
    >>been
    >>hijacked somehow? is there a program i can run to find out?
    >>

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I've had this too, and a check of the headers shows that the (original)
    mails were never sent, and definitely not sent from my PC or domain. These
    mails usually arrive with the so-called "original message" attached (the
    message I'm supposed to have sent), the attachment is actually a virus.
    Obviously, to play on people's curiosity it's hoped that recipients will
    open the attachments because they don't remember sending any mail.

    One of my accounts gets hundreds of these, and the only place I've ever
    posted the address (stupidly) was in newsgroups. None of the other addresses
    I use has ever had any, so it looks likely that the addresses are being
    harvested from the NG's (like we didn't already know).
    mentalguy2004, Sep 15, 2004
  4. slownut

    slownut Guest

    so should i discontinue use of this address? are the programs using my ISP
    and connection to send out all of these messages?

    slownut, Sep 15, 2004
  5. "slownut" <> wrote in message
    > so should i discontinue use of this address? are the programs using my ISP
    > and connection to send out all of these messages?
    >

    > "mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> > Either you, somebody in your address book, or
    >> > somebody who has you in their address book
    >> > is, or has been infected by a virus. This often
    >> > happens because of a failure to "munge" your
    >> > email address when posting to newsgroups, and
    >> > your address gets picked up by bots.
    >> >
    >> > Please read the following carefully:
    >> >
    >> > How do spammers harvest email addresses
    >> > http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    >> >
    >> > Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    >> > http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    >> >
    >> > Address Munging FAQ Spam-Blocking Your Email Address
    >> > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/
    >> >
    >> > Hide your email address
    >> > http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide
    >> >

    >> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:02:39 GMT, in
    >> > <zd12d.226931$>
    >> > slownut scrawled:

    >> > --
    >> > Basic computer maintenance
    >> > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    >> I've had this too, and a check of the headers shows that the (original)
    >> mails were never sent, and definitely not sent from my PC or domain.
    >> These
    >> mails usually arrive with the so-called "original message" attached (the
    >> message I'm supposed to have sent), the attachment is actually a virus.
    >> Obviously, to play on people's curiosity it's hoped that recipients will
    >> open the attachments because they don't remember sending any mail.
    >>
    >> One of my accounts gets hundreds of these, and the only place I've ever
    >> posted the address (stupidly) was in newsgroups. None of the other

    > addresses
    >> I use has ever had any, so it looks likely that the addresses are being
    >> harvested from the NG's (like we didn't already know).

    Well, I check the ones I get, and there's nothing to show that my PC sent
    any of them, I'm confident that what's happened is that a virus has infected
    someone else's PC, searched their temporary internet files & address book,
    and got my e-mail address that way. From what I've seen, the inferrence that
    your computer has sent a mail to such and such address, isn't true. It's
    just a way of getting you to open a virus attachment

    You can keep the address, but bear in mind that once you get sent spam or
    virus mails, more will inevitably follow. Keep your anti-virus up to date,
    and as Mike said, either disguise (mung) your e-mail address or use a
    non-existent one when posting to newsgroups.
    mentalguy2004, Sep 15, 2004
  6. slownut

    Trixi Guest

    I cant send nor receive email messages.