    apps and even tried saving it under a different name and reopening all to
    no avail.

    Does anyone have any advice?
    That Dude With A Plaid Shirt, Jun 4, 2004

  2. That Dude With A Plaid Shirt

    SgtMinor Guest

    That Dude With A Plaid Shirt wrote:

    > I've tried the "Recover text from any file" option, used some third party
    > apps and even tried saving it under a different name and reopening all to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice?

    What do you mean by "garbeled?" Is the font selection set to
    "Wingdings?"

    BTW, turns out wardrobe.com is a registered domain name:

    Registrant:
    Dress for Success Worldwide
    32 E 31st St Fl 7
    New York, NY 10016-6881
    US

    Domain Name: WARDROBE.COM

    Some address munging suggestions here:

    SgtMinor, Jun 5, 2004

  3. On 6/4/2004 8:09:11 PM, SgtMinor wrote:

    > That Dude With A Plaid Shirt wrote:
    >>
    >> I've tried the "Recover text from any file" option, used some third party
    >> apps and even tried saving it under a different name and reopening all to
    >> no avail.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any advice?

    > What do you mean by "garbeled?" Is the font selection set to
    > "Wingdings?"

    No. The file was deleted, then undeleted. And is now a complete mess.

    > BTW, turns out wardrobe.com is a registered domain name:
    >
    > Registrant:
    > Dress for Success Worldwide
    > 32 E 31st St Fl 7
    > New York, NY 10016-6881
    > US
    >
    > Domain Name: WARDROBE.COM
    >
    > Some address munging suggestions here:
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html

    OK, thanks.
    That Dude With A Plaid Shirt, Jun 5, 2004
  4. That Dude With A Plaid Shirt

    John Guest

    In article
    <6vc3mhgp4oaj.dlg@XEHU7et5acHaFes3Ach5Va.5a75uyebUsefawrEspadas.org>,
    That Dude With A Plaid Shirt <fancy@.oops!.invalid> wrote:

    > No. The file was deleted, then undeleted. And is now a complete mess.

    You can only expect a full recovery if you had immediately tried to
    recover -- if nothing else was written to the drive in meantime.
    During any intervening time, drive activity could easily have written
    over the file location with data that was not formerly there.

    On another point, MS Word, at least in Mac versions, has a fast-save
    feature. This feature causes it to write chagnes to the file in
    separate parts; so the file you recovered might possibly be only
    portions of the actual file, the rest being unused block space and the
    edited changes not being found for the recovery process.
    You can go back in this case and try to recover more parts of recent
    Word files, looking for text to recover, but lacking that, probably
    won't have any recourse.
    John, Jun 5, 2004