    With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
    get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
    this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?

    Trevor Smithson, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Trevor Smithson wrote:
    > In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
    > folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
    > folder, in Firefox 2.
    >
    > With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
    > get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
    > this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?

    they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
    and it sucks.

    Are you looking in the bookmark manager? If so, are you
    looking at the top level called "bookmarks toolbar" or "All
    Bookmarks"? If so, then you can't get rid of those.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 18, 2008

  3. pyotr filipivich wrote:
    > I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo <> wrote on
    > Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:58 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
    >> Trevor Smithson wrote:
    >>> In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
    >>> folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
    >>> folder, in Firefox 2.
    >>>
    >>> With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
    >>> get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
    >>> this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?

    >> they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
    >> and it sucks.

    > Urf.
    >
    > Seeing as how I'm trying to synchronize the bookmark files between
    > two separate computers in two separate locations, this may prove "sub
    > optimal".
    >
    > I'll wait and see.
    >
    > pyotr

    unfortunately, you cannot share the bookmark files from FF 3
    to FF2. FF 3 uses a brand new system.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 19, 2008
  4. pyotr filipivich wrote:
    > I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo <> wrote on
    > Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:12:47 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
    >> pyotr filipivich wrote:
    >>> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
    >>> the Purple Hippo <> wrote on
    >>> Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:58 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :

    >>> Urf.
    >>>
    >>> Seeing as how I'm trying to synchronize the bookmark files between
    >>> two separate computers in two separate locations, this may prove "sub
    >>> optimal".
    >>>
    >>> I'll wait and see.
    >>>
    >>> pyotr

    >> unfortunately, you cannot share the bookmark files from FF 3
    >> to FF2. FF 3 uses a brand new system.

    > I can live with that - if I just have to make one conversion.
    >
    > What I am concerned about it getting "bookmark file" from computer
    > A to computer B. Right now, both systems run FF2. Any upgrade will
    > be simultaneous, or more likely from computer B to computer A.
    > (Computer B has the fast connections - downloads get done there.)
    >
    > tschus
    > pyotr
    >
    > posting from computer A. B-)

    in the address bar for FF 3, type in about:config. Click on
    the little warning message, then look for this entry:

    browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

    once found, double click on it and change it to true. Now,
    when you close FF 3, all your bookmarks will be save to the
    bookmarks.html file.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 24, 2008
  5. pyotr filipivich wrote:
    > I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo <> wrote on
    > Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:23:11 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
    >> pyotr filipivich wrote:
    >>> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
    >>> the Purple Hippo <> wrote on
    >>> Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:12:47 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :

    >>> I can live with that - if I just have to make one conversion.
    >>>
    >>> What I am concerned about it getting "bookmark file" from computer
    >>> A to computer B. Right now, both systems run FF2. Any upgrade will
    >>> be simultaneous, or more likely from computer B to computer A.
    >>> (Computer B has the fast connections - downloads get done there.)
    >>>
    >>> tschus
    >>> pyotr
    >>>
    >>> posting from computer A. B-)

    >> in the address bar for FF 3, type in about:config. Click on
    >> the little warning message, then look for this entry:
    >>
    >> browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
    >>
    >> once found, double click on it and change it to true. Now,
    >> when you close FF 3, all your bookmarks will be save to the
    >> bookmarks.html file.

    > Kewl - that's what I'm doing now, moving the bookmark file back
    > and forth.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > pyotr

    if the computers are on the same network, then try this
    [note: I don't know if this is going to work because of the
    changes in the bookmark system in FF 3, but]: in the address
    bar for FF 2 type in about:config, click on the little
    warning, and look for this entry:

    browser.bookmarks.file

    once found, double click on it and change it to point to the
    FF 3 bookmarks.html file.

    If you don't see that entry, then right click on any entry,
    select New, String, and enter the above line in the first
    box, and the location in the second.

    Another Note: the file bookmarks.html in FF 3 only become
    active when you close the program.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jun 24, 2008