    of such a thing, I'm looking for some undelete software with a fully
    functional demo, so that I can try the whole process, including recovery.
    Thanks.

    The Crow, Jul 23, 2004

  2. The Crow

    bambam Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:48:54 +0100, The Crow wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I wanted to try some undelete software to recover some lost files. I've
    > tried the winundelete demo, and it seems very good. Can anyone recommend
    > any other programmes? I was hoping for something with a fully functional
    > demo, rather than the restricted one like winundelete, so that i can see
    > if the recovery process actually works or not. Winundelete shows up a lot
    > of stuff, but how do I know if it can recover them okay. So, if anyone
    > knows of such a thing, I'm looking for some undelete software with a fully
    > functional demo, so that I can try the whole process, including recovery.
    > Thanks.

    Even better, how about freeware? :)

    http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITIES.htm#Files:Undelete

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

    bambam, Jul 23, 2004

  3. The Crow

    Spajky Guest

    www.pcinspector.de
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Jul 25, 2004
  4. The Crow

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:48:54 +0100, The Crow wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I wanted to try some undelete software to recover some lost files. I've
    > tried the winundelete demo, and it seems very good. Can anyone
    > recommend any other programmes? I was hoping for something with a fully
    > functional demo, rather than the restricted one like winundelete, so
    > that i can see if the recovery process actually works or not.
    > Winundelete shows up a lot of stuff, but how do I know if it can recover
    > them okay. So, if anyone knows of such a thing, I'm looking for some
    > undelete software with a fully functional demo, so that I can try the
    > whole process, including recovery. Thanks.

    Presuming a Windows OS, Briggs Software (www.briggsoft.com) makes
    Directory Snoop which has successfully recovered several files for me.
    Remember, though, should you accidently delete something, you must try a
    recovery imediately, before the file clusters are overwritten, then
    nothing short of a government forensic data search will recover it. As an
    aside, when I first started experimenting with this, I "erased" a file
    deliberately with PGP. Overwriting it multiple times and then tried to
    recover it using Directory Snoop. It did! Since then my dabbling
    discovered Eraser, which Directory Snoop has never been able to recover
    data from once overwritten. They say that ANY data can be recovered even
    from broken hard drives, but that seems like nonsense to me. Maybe any
    data deleted in the last 48 hours of a little used machine, but data
    deleted several years ago on a regularly used machine would seem to be
    gone forever.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jul 30, 2004