    I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot delete file: Cannot read
    from the source file or disk".

    How do I get rid of this file please?

    *****General, Mar 17, 2005

  2. *****General wrote:
    > I have a file which is on my hrad drive which is undeletable. I think it is
    > a downloaded file which is 0kb in size. It is not Read-Only, Hidden or
    > Archived. It is called 'CAASXBF6.' with no extension and is unopenable. When
    > I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot delete file: Cannot read
    > from the source file or disk".
    >
    > How do I get rid of this file please?

    Have you tried running Scandisk if you're using Win 9x or chkdsk if
    using XP/2K?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 17, 2005

  3. *****General

    Billy Guest

    "*****General" <*****> wrote in message
    > I have a file which is on my hrad drive which is undeletable. I think

    it is
    > a downloaded file which is 0kb in size. It is not Read-Only, Hidden or
    > Archived. It is called 'CAASXBF6.' with no extension and is

    unopenable. When
    > I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot delete file: Cannot

    read
    > from the source file or disk".
    >
    > How do I get rid of this file please?

    There is a mean little malware that generates a random 9 alphanumeric
    combo.
    It is one of the VX2 variants.
    Check your startup (msconfig) and System32 folder for additional files.
    It also is in the registry.
    AdAware has a remover (as do others, use Google) of varying success.

    Billy, Mar 17, 2005
  4. *****General

    BIGEYE Guest

    "*****General" <*****> wrote in message
    >I have a file which is on my hrad drive which is undeletable. I think it is
    >a downloaded file which is 0kb in size. It is not Read-Only, Hidden or
    >Archived. It is called 'CAASXBF6.' with no extension and is unopenable.
    >When I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot delete file: Cannot
    >read from the source file or disk".
    >
    > How do I get rid of this file please?

    This may sound daft but it has worked for me before. Start MS Word, then
    select file>open>all files.
    Look for the file you want deleted, highlight and delete from here.

    BIGEYE, Mar 17, 2005
  5. *****General

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Mar 17, 2005
  6. *****General

    Paul - xxx Guest

    *****General composed the following;:
    > I have a file which is on my hrad drive which is undeletable. I think
    > it is a downloaded file which is 0kb in size. It is not Read-Only,
    > Hidden or Archived. It is called 'CAASXBF6.' with no extension and is
    > unopenable. When I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot
    > delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk".
    >
    > How do I get rid of this file please?

    Start up in safe mode. Generally do this by re-booting the computer and
    hold the f8 key just after the initial boot but before the windows part
    of the boot sequence, then select 'safe mode'. This should allow you to
    delete it.

    However, it sounds more like you might have a trojan or other malware.
    I'd suggest you search for, download, install and use the following.
    Adaware, CWShredder, Spybot S&D, and Hijackthis to clear the problem.
    It might take some work to do so though. I'd also suggest running the
    Adaware and spybot scans in safe mode, they work faster and seem to be
    able to remove more 'things' that way.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

    Paul - xxx, Mar 17, 2005
  7. *****General

    Knut Willy Guest

    På Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:42:15 GMT, skrev *****General
    <*****>:

    > I have a file which is on my hrad drive which is undeletable. I think it
    > is
    > a downloaded file which is 0kb in size. It is not Read-Only, Hidden or
    > Archived. It is called 'CAASXBF6.' with no extension and is unopenable..
    > When
    > I try to delete it I get a message saying "Cannot delete file: Cannot
    > read
    > from the source file or disk".
    >
    > How do I get rid of this file please?

    Have you t ried to go to DOS and delete from there?

    --
    Knut Willy

    Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
    http://www.opera.com/m2/

    Knut Willy, Mar 17, 2005