    spectrum allocation?

    Thanks,

    RL
    RL, Oct 24, 2007

  2. RL

    Puddle Guest

    RL wrote:
    > My eighteen months on an Ihug plan have passed, and I'm now looking for
    > my next (hopefully better) Internet connection.
    >
    > What is the current state of unbundling, and when can I expect providers
    > to start deploying their own hardware in exchanges?
    >
    > I'll also consider wireless options if any new services are forthcoming.
    > WiMax going to be an option soon, or is the government still holding up
    > spectrum allocation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > RL

    This is Orcon's update on the unbundling..
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/informme/service,blog/category,62/item,447/
    Puddle, Oct 24, 2007

  3. RL

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:46:24 +1300, Puddle <> wrote:

    >RL wrote:
    >> My eighteen months on an Ihug plan have passed, and I'm now looking for
    >> my next (hopefully better) Internet connection.
    >>
    >> What is the current state of unbundling, and when can I expect providers
    >> to start deploying their own hardware in exchanges?
    >>
    >> I'll also consider wireless options if any new services are forthcoming.
    >> WiMax going to be an option soon, or is the government still holding up
    >> spectrum allocation?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> RL

    >This is Orcon's update on the unbundling..
    >http://www.orcon.net.nz/informme/service,blog/category,62/item,447/

    This could take a long time:

    "The draft determination released by the Commerce Commission on 30 July states
    that Telecom must unbundle 15 exchanges per quarter."
    Cima, Oct 25, 2007
  4. RL

    Tony Guest

    > I'll also consider wireless options if any new services are forthcoming.
    > WiMax going to be an option soon, or is the government still holding up
    > spectrum allocation?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Well, almost as good but coming much sooner. Naked DSL with IP voice (I
    have it now !) and it works real nice without me paying Telecom a cent.
    Should be available to the public in the next six weeks or so, watch
    http://xnet.co.nz .
    Tony, Oct 25, 2007
  5. RL

    Puddle Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> I'll also consider wireless options if any new services are
    >> forthcoming. WiMax going to be an option soon, or is the government
    >> still holding up spectrum allocation?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Well, almost as good but coming much sooner. Naked DSL with IP voice (I
    > have it now !) and it works real nice without me paying Telecom a cent.
    > Should be available to the public in the next six weeks or so, watch
    > http://xnet.co.nz .

    Well you are still paying telecom even if it is indirectly.
    How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    but would be interested in naked dsl.
    Puddle, Oct 25, 2007
  6. RL

    RL Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > Well you are still paying telecom even if it is indirectly.
    > How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    > but would be interested in naked dsl.

    I already have VoIP through 2Talk, which I am planning on keeping, so I
    am in a similar position. That allows me to consider wireless options,
    and ditch Telecom altogether, which would be a great thought.

    RL
    RL, Oct 25, 2007
  7. In message <472041ff$>, Puddle wrote:

    > How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    > but would be interested in naked dsl.

    Experience in other markets which have unbundled the local loop (e.g. the
    UK) indicates that DSL on its own offers little or no profit. So the
    vendors throw it in as an enticement to buy something else on which they
    can actually make money. Which means you're unlikely to be able to get it
    on its own.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2007
  8. RL

    Puddle Guest

    RL wrote:
    > Puddle wrote:
    >> Well you are still paying telecom even if it is indirectly.
    >> How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    >> but would be interested in naked dsl.

    > I already have VoIP through 2Talk, which I am planning on keeping, so I
    > am in a similar position. That allows me to consider wireless options,
    > and ditch Telecom altogether, which would be a great thought.
    >
    > RL

    What is 2Talk like? the quality good?
    Puddle, Oct 25, 2007
  9. RL

    none Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > Well you are still paying telecom even if it is indirectly.

    You'll still be paying Telecom indirectly when unbundling happens. The
    ISPs still have to pay to be in the exchanges.

    > How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    > but would be interested in naked dsl.

    The wholesale ISP for a "naked" line is about double the cost of a
    current UBS enabled line. I doubt naked DSL will do much for price given
    that.
    none, Oct 25, 2007
  10. RL

    Puddle Guest

    none wrote:
    > Puddle wrote:
    >> Well you are still paying telecom even if it is indirectly.

    > You'll still be paying Telecom indirectly when unbundling happens. The
    > ISPs still have to pay to be in the exchanges.

    Ummm isn't that what I said?

    >> How much is Naked DSL going to cost, i don't care about voip services
    >> but would be interested in naked dsl.

    > The wholesale ISP for a "naked" line is about double the cost of a
    > current UBS enabled line. I doubt naked DSL will do much for price given
    > that.

    That is a shame..
    Puddle, Oct 25, 2007
  11. RL

    RL Guest

    Puddle wrote:
    > RL wrote:
    >> I already have VoIP through 2Talk, which I am planning on keeping, so
    >> I am in a similar position. That allows me to consider wireless
    >> options, and ditch Telecom altogether, which would be a great thought.

    > What is 2Talk like? the quality good?

    I have been very pleased with the service they offer, and despite having
    an unreliable DSL connection, I've rarely had a problem with calls. I
    have had no issues with call quality. Support on the forums has been
    good, and the Web-based configuration is easy to use and packed full of
    features.

    Previously I was with iTalk, but Slingshot didn't add any new features,
    appeared to exclude iTalk from their capped calling specials, and
    provided almost zero support via the forums.

    If you're looking for a NZ-based SIP solution, I'd definitely suggest
    trying them out. They have free accounts, so all you have to lose is
    your time.

    RL
    RL, Oct 26, 2007