Unbundled Local Loop prices set by ComCom

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Didn't notice theis mentioned in here anywhere yesterday:

    http://stuff.co.nz/4264960a28.html

    ***
    Commission raises Telecom network access prices
    NZPA | Wednesday, 7 November 2007

    The Commerce Commission has set the local wholesale access price to
    the Telecom network above draft levels in its final determination issued
    today.

    The watchdog's unbundling determination will allow competitors to access
    services from Telecom's local loop at the set price without the need for
    any separate agreements.

    The commission said Telecom must give rivals access to the copper phone
    lines which run from houses to Telecom phone exchanges – so called
    unbundled local loops – at $19.84 per subscriber.

    The commission set a price of $36.63 for supplying access to rural areas
    and the charge for transferring a customer to the service was set at
    $74.83.
    ***

    So if the local loop is going to cost an ISP $20/month how much are they
    going to add on to cover the cost of providing bandwidth and the basics
    (email/DNS/helldesk/billing etc)?

    Somehow i dont see any plans that are going to be significantly cheaper
    than whats available at the moment.
    Squiggle, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Squiggle

    XPD Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message

    > Somehow i dont see any plans that are going to be significantly cheaper
    > than whats available at the moment.

    Personally I never expected it to be any cheaper than what it is now.
    All thats going to change is instead of everyone blaming Telecom for
    equipment failing, is they'll be able to blame individual ISP's.
    XPD, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Squiggle

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in news:fgtbdq$jnm$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Personally I never expected it to be any cheaper than what it is now.
    > All thats going to change is instead of everyone blaming Telecom for
    > equipment failing, is they'll be able to blame individual ISP's.

    Who in turn can do the finger pointing circle of helldesks.
    Document everything. I suspect that things will get worse when you need
    support as they always do when there are more links in the chain.
    I hope I am wrong and it is all roses for everyone.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 9, 2007