    agagin"
    doesn't have any effect because the same notification windows re-appear all
    the time.
    Eli Aran, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Eli Aran

    optikl Guest

    Eli Aran wrote:
    > i recently moved from using Zone Alarm to using Sygate Personal Firewall
    > because ZA used up too many computer resources and
    > it took too long for Internet pages to show up
    > too long for Explorer to browse my computer
    > and too long for applications to open.
    > i suppose my machine works faster now
    > but i get sygate notifications every minute or so
    > about windows services trying to reach the internet - it has blocked.
    > for example svchost ntvdm and others.
    > my questions are: why did sygate automatically decide to block them?
    > if they were alowed to connect to the internet in ZA then why cant they do
    > the same in Sygate?
    > most importantly - where and how do i re-enable them to connect?
    > checking the box in the notification window corner "don't show this window
    > agagin"
    > doesn't have any effect because the same notification windows re-appear all
    > the time.

    Sounds like you set Sygate to block anything that hasn't been permitted.
    That and your running component control. Read the help file that came
    with it or go on line to a Sygate forum for help with your
    configuration. My previous experience with Sygate is you can easily
    change components from blocked to allowed. You need to do some research
    on what you're dealing with.
    optikl, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Eli Aran

    Jeff Arch Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:01:43 -0600, optikl wrote:

    > Eli Aran wrote:
    >> i recently moved from using Zone Alarm to using Sygate Personal Firewall
    >> because ZA used up too many computer resources and
    >> it took too long for Internet pages to show up
    >> too long for Explorer to browse my computer
    >> and too long for applications to open.
    >> i suppose my machine works faster now
    >> but i get sygate notifications every minute or so
    >> about windows services trying to reach the internet - it has blocked.
    >> for example svchost ntvdm and others.
    >> my questions are: why did sygate automatically decide to block them?
    >> if they were alowed to connect to the internet in ZA then why cant they do
    >> the same in Sygate?
    >> most importantly - where and how do i re-enable them to connect?
    >> checking the box in the notification window corner "don't show this window
    >> agagin"
    >> doesn't have any effect because the same notification windows re-appear all
    >> the time.
    >>

    > Sounds like you set Sygate to block anything that hasn't been permitted.
    > That and your running component control. Read the help file that came
    > with it or go on line to a Sygate forum for help with your
    > configuration. My previous experience with Sygate is you can easily
    > change components from blocked to allowed. You need to do some research
    > on what you're dealing with.

    Sygate is definately my favorite firewall but one thing you need to check
    is if zone alarm is COMPLETELY unistalled. I know the older versions would
    leave dll's and what not that would mess up connections. Somewhere on
    zonelabs.com they have a manual check list you can go down to make sure it
    is in fact uninstalled.
    Jeff Arch, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Eli Aran

    Casey Guest

    ...snip..
    > my questions are: why did sygate automatically decide to block them?
    > if they were alowed to connect to the internet in ZA then why cant they do
    > the same in Sygate?

    When you initially install Sygate, all applications and services
    that attempt to connect to internet are blocked but asking for
    permission to connect. Sygate only allows connections you approve
    of. Sygate doesn't have a mind of its own.
    > most importantly - where and how do i re-enable them to connect?
    > checking the box in the notification window corner "don't show this window
    > agagin"
    > doesn't have any effect because the same notification windows re-appear all
    > the time.

    You might find the following very helpful:

    Unofficial Help:
    http://bellsouthpwp.net/i/k/ikpe/SygateBasics.html

    Sygate Forums:
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

    Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
    http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/pspf/default.htm

    Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/comparison_spf.htm
    Casey, Jan 18, 2005
  5. Eli Aran

    optikl Guest

    Jeff Arch wrote:

    > Sygate is definately my favorite firewall but one thing you need to check
    > is if zone alarm is COMPLETELY unistalled. I know the older versions would
    > leave dll's and what not that would mess up connections. Somewhere on
    > zonelabs.com they have a manual check list you can go down to make sure it
    > is in fact uninstalled.

    You're right. There are at least two files and 3 or 4 registry entries
    that usually get left behind. I have to clean those manually myself.
    optikl, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Eli Aran

    Eli Aran Guest

    i did read the manual in the help file.
    i know i can decide to enable, ask or block specific applications.
    but my initial question remains unanswered:
    i still get sygate firewall window notifications
    telling me diferent windows system components
    were trying to access the internet and were blocked.
    the ones i remember are svchost and ntoskrnl.
    i do not see them in the application list
    so i cannot re-enable them to access
    so i don't know if the firewall is working perfectly as it should
    or that something is wrong/missing where i would be able to
    let those processes access the internet.
    -- why do they try to access the internet in the first place?
    --why does sygate personal firewall block them?
    --why do those particular warning windows re-appeare
    even though i specificaly mark "do not show this window again"
    check box in the corresponding notification windows?
    note: adaware, spybot s&b, a squared, spywareblaster
    avast avg and winpatrol
    all tell me my machine is without any maleware
    so those processes probably should have been allowed
    to access the internet (?)
    Eli Aran, Jan 24, 2005