Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Alfred Molon

    frederick Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Enjoy this one:
    > http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    Heh heh.

    My evil mind thinks that to replace those images on your server, with
    some choice alternatives edited to the same size and file names would be
    an entirely appropriate response, and good way to a message across.

    frederick, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Alfred Molon

    dj_nme Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Enjoy this one:
    > http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    So he's an "honest businessman", is that like a "colourful racing identity"?
    I believe that he's got the lawyering part backwards :)

    dj_nme, Mar 13, 2008
  4. Alfred Molon

    Chris W Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Enjoy this one:
    > http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    What an clueless moron, I would be tempted to taunt that idiot into
    attempting to sue, but who knows what some equally idiot lawyer might
    come up with.

    If it were my web site I think I would think of some kind of clever code
    to really annoy him. For example find out what IP address he uses and
    then write some code that would make it look all the photos were there
    when he viewed them, but anyone else going to the site would see
    something else. That would be pretty easy for me to program, and given
    some time I'm sure I can think of something better too.

    --
    Chris W
    KE5GIX

    "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    Ham Radio Repeater Database.
    http://hrrdb.com

    Chris W, Mar 14, 2008
  5. Alfred Molon

    Ali Guest

    Quality. I must admit, I would be tempted to do the same.

    Ali, Mar 14, 2008
  6. In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > Enjoy this one:
    > http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    After finding that MySpace copyright enforcement was hopeless, I changed
    my server to return a corrupt JPEG header when it sees a MySpace
    referrer. Now I have my bandwidth back.

    The really sad thing is that most images only had one IP address
    requesting them. All those bloggers had an audience of one - themselves.

    --
    I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 16, 2008
  7. On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:00:39 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >
    >> Enjoy this one:
    >> http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    > After finding that MySpace copyright enforcement was hopeless, I changed
    > my server to return a corrupt JPEG header when it sees a MySpace
    > referrer. Now I have my bandwidth back.

    Could you please post an example (or 2, or 3) of the MySpace
    referrer(s). Or, point me to a URL that discusses this topic.

    My web host currently has the logs snafu'ed and I cannot scan my logs
    for what they may be.

    Thank you!
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http://jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 16, 2008
  8. Alfred Molon

    MadHatter Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:38 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > Enjoy this one:http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    What sort of honest business does he run? Apparently he doesn't mind
    when someone steals his product.

    MadHatter, Mar 16, 2008
  9. Alfred Molon

    Cynicor Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Enjoy this one:
    > http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    I was thinking of registering that particular color scheme (blue and
    green) shown in this GIF. Therefore, I will need you to remove this
    image before I call my lawyer.

    Cynicor, Mar 16, 2008
  10. Alfred Molon

    Chris W Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:00:39 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    >> Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Enjoy this one:
    >>> http://i30.tinypic.com/et6ump.gif

    >> After finding that MySpace copyright enforcement was hopeless, I changed
    >> my server to return a corrupt JPEG header when it sees a MySpace
    >> referrer. Now I have my bandwidth back.

    > Could you please post an example (or 2, or 3) of the MySpace
    > referrer(s). Or, point me to a URL that discusses this topic.
    >
    > My web host currently has the logs snafu'ed and I cannot scan my logs
    > for what they may be.

    If you can't view the logs for you web site, I'm not sure what good
    knowing this is to you. However here is an example of a log entry from
    one of my web sites...

    78.3.92.164 - - [16/Mar/2008:16:57:47 -0600] "GET /images/ABC123.jpg
    HTTP/1.1" 200 19944
    "http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=52877"
    "Opera/9.24 (Windows NT 6.0; U; hr)"

    What you can learn from that is the IP address of the computer viewing
    the image is 78.3.92.184, The date they viewed it. The path and name of
    the image (/images/ABC123.jpg), the version of the HTTP protocol they
    used (HTTP/1.1), the HTTP response code (200), the size of the data sent
    (19944), the web page referring the user here
    (http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=52877),
    and Finally the Web browser and operating system they were using
    (Opera/9.24 (Windows NT 6.0; U; hr))

    Having a web site listed as the referrer can mean one of two things.
    Either the image is impeded (displayed) in/on the web page, or there is
    simply a link to the image on that web page.

    Keep in mind that the browser can fake the referrer, the browser and OS
    being used. Some browses make it easy to fake that info but most users
    don't know about it.

    With out access to your logs, you can make your own log file in a
    database but it would require writing a script that would take the
    request for an image, log the data, then send the requested image. This
    would also mean that the links to all your images would have to change
    to use this script or people could access them directly and bypass the
    script that is doing the logging. In php it would be pretty easy. The
    links would simply be something like, ShowImage.php?i=ImageName.jpg
    then the ShowImage.php script would log the request and open the image
    and send it. The images would need to be in some folder with an obscure
    name so that people couldn't guess where they were. With the right
    access to the server, the images could be in a place that could only be
    read by the script, but if you had that kind of access to the server you
    would most likely have access to the log files.

    Chris W, Mar 17, 2008
  11. On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:39:48 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> After finding that MySpace copyright enforcement was hopeless, I changed
    >>> my server to return a corrupt JPEG header when it sees a MySpace
    >>> referrer. Now I have my bandwidth back.

    >> Could you please post an example (or 2, or 3) of the MySpace
    >> referrer(s). Or, point me to a URL that discusses this topic.
    >>
    >> My web host currently has the logs snafu'ed and I cannot scan my logs
    >> for what they may be.

    > If you can't view the logs for you web site, I'm not sure what good
    > knowing this is to you. However here is an example of a log entry from
    > one of my web sites...
    >
    > 78.3.92.164 - - [16/Mar/2008:16:57:47 -0600] "GET /images/ABC123.jpg
    > HTTP/1.1" 200 19944
    > "http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=52877"
    > "Opera/9.24 (Windows NT 6.0; U; hr)"

    Yes, well, I asked for an example of the _MySpace_ referrer(s).

    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 17, 2008
  12. Alfred Molon

    Chris W Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:39:48 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    >> Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> Could you please post an example (or 2, or 3) of the MySpace
    >>> referrer(s). Or, point me to a URL that discusses this topic.
    >>>
    >>> My web host currently has the logs snafu'ed and I cannot scan my logs
    >>> for what they may be.

    >> If you can't view the logs for you web site, I'm not sure what good
    >> knowing this is to you. However here is an example of a log entry from
    >> one of my web sites...
    >>
    >> 78.3.92.164 - - [16/Mar/2008:16:57:47 -0600] "GET /images/ABC123.jpg
    >> HTTP/1.1" 200 19944
    >> "http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=52877"
    >> "Opera/9.24 (Windows NT 6.0; U; hr)"

    > Yes, well, I asked for an example of the _MySpace_ referrer(s).

    Then instead of "http://www.cnczone.com/. . ."
    you would see...
    "http://www.myspace.com/. . ."

    it's not complicated.