Unapproved GBIC

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by flamer die.spam@hotmail.com, Apr 7, 2009.

  1. flamer

    flamer Guest

    Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and
    GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:

    service unsupported-transceiver
    no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
    errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

    which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an
    invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought
    comes up with a different error:

    %C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port
    Gi*/* failed: bad crc

    sh int g*/*
    g*/8 is down, media type is Unapproved GBIC
    Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, link type is auto, media type is Unapproved
    GBIC

    I have had this error on two different 4507's the commands above don't
    do anything, Several different GBIC's have all done the same, is there
    a way to over ride this check? otherwise we have a fairly large bunch
    of paper weights.

    Flamer.

    flamer , Apr 7, 2009

  2. flamer

    Thrill5 Guest

    If you can't return the SFP's then indeed you have a bunch of new paper
    weights. Even though you can use non-Cisco SFP's and GBIC's, you need to
    use ones that are compatible with Cisco (and their intended purpose). SFP's
    and GBIC's are just like memory in a PC, you need the right kind that are
    compatible with the system you are installing them in.

    I have been purchasing non-Cisco GBIC's and SFP's for years and never had a
    problem, but I have always purchased them from vendors that offer a 100%
    satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime hardware warranty. Never had to use
    the commands you have listed either.

    Check out www.cxtec.com.

    Thrill5, Apr 7, 2009

  3. "flamer " <> writes:
    >Hi all, we are quite custom to using non-cisco branded SFP's and
    >GBIC's in our switches, I use the commands:

    >service unsupported-transceiver
    >no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid
    >errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

    >which allows the optics to be used even when they come up with an
    >invalid GBIC error. However this new bunch of optics we have bought
    >comes up with a different error:

    >%C4K_CHASSIS-3-SFPCRCINTEGRITYCHECKFAILED: SFP integrity check on port
    >Gi*/* failed: bad crc

    I'd say that if the checksum in the EPROM is bad, that the hardware
    hasn't been properly setup, and you bought damaged goods.

    Imagine if you bought a bunch of NIC cards, and they had bad EPROMs
    setting their MAC addresses, so a whole bunch had illegal MAC
    addresses on the network. Some maybe worked in some networks, but
    other network devices bounced those cards out.

    Would you consider the cards bad? Or that your network isn't as
    flexible as you need it to be?

    If you bought SFPs with scrambled EPROMs, I'd say they are defective,
    not that the switch isn't flexible to accept anything.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 7, 2009