Unaible to join domain

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Marin Kostov, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Marin Kostov

    Marin Kostov Guest

    Hello!
    I am studying for exam 70-290.
    I have a small lab at home, which consists of 3 PC's, running different OS:
    WinXP Pro, Win 2003 Server, and Win 98.
    The 2003 installation is "fresh", since 5 days, but the problems came very
    soon. I am unable to join my XP machine to the domain.
    Here is some background information, that describes the scenario.
    The 2003 PC is a Domain controller, and the NIC settings are:
    TCP/IP address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet:255.255.255.0
    DNS: 192.168.0.1
    No ICF is running.

    The XP Prof:
    192.168.0.11
    255.255.255.0
    DNS 192.168.0.1

    Win 98:
    192.168.0.15
    255.255.255.0
    No DNS.

    So, when I try to ping from the XP to 2003, I receive request timed out.
    There is no communication between them.
    At the other hand, there is no problem between XP and 98.

    I have eliminated cable and adapter problems: I have changed the network
    cable. So, I have tried to duplicate the IP address of XP and 2003,
    something 192.168.0.11 at them both, and have received error message: There
    is conflict at the network. That means, there is communication between the
    machines, and there is no hardware problem.
    I have removed IP security policies in order to permit unsecured connections
    between the PCs - nothing changes.

    So, please give me some advice: where could be the problem, how to
    troubleshoot this situation. Is there any tool, that I can use and see if
    the in- and out-traffic of the 2003 is blocked?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    Marin Kostov, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Marin Kostov

    Fred Guest

    Probably the firewall in XP?

    "Marin Kostov" <> wrote in message
    : Hello!
    : I am studying for exam 70-290.
    : I have a small lab at home, which consists of 3 PC's, running different
    OS:
    : WinXP Pro, Win 2003 Server, and Win 98.
    : The 2003 installation is "fresh", since 5 days, but the problems came very
    : soon. I am unable to join my XP machine to the domain.
    : Here is some background information, that describes the scenario.
    : The 2003 PC is a Domain controller, and the NIC settings are:
    : TCP/IP address: 192.168.0.1
    : Subnet:255.255.255.0
    : DNS: 192.168.0.1
    : No ICF is running.
    :
    : The XP Prof:
    : 192.168.0.11
    : 255.255.255.0
    : DNS 192.168.0.1
    :
    : Win 98:
    : 192.168.0.15
    : 255.255.255.0
    : No DNS.
    :

    Fred, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Marin Kostov

    Guest Guest

    what router/switch are you sueing or try cross over

    Guest, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Marin Kostov

    Panorama Guest

    Check the network once again. Try swapping the 98 and XP ports in the hub or
    the switch. Try removing the 98 connection and then checking. try enabling
    DHCP svr on your DC and make the XP a DHCP client.. Verify if the DC is able
    to lease an IP to XP.

    Check if the account you are operating with has enough privileges to add a
    computer to a DC.

    If nothing helps.
    You should check for any logs about this in the event viewer of XP or the
    2003 DC ?
    The exact error message that you receive and can you tell us the sequence of
    steps you are using to join the XP mc in the DC ?
    From the DC, did you try adding the XP computer as an computer object ?
    Try relaxing the security policy on the DC?

    hope this helps.
    -

    Panorama, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Marin Kostov

    Marin Kostov Guest

    There was Network load balancing installed. I have removed it, and the ping
    is back :)

    --
    Marin Kostov
    Microsoft Office XP Master Instructor