Unable to write to my NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Wally Ballou, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Wally Ballou

    Wally Ballou Guest

    I can read a previously written cd or dvd but cannot write to a blank
    disk (cd/dvd)in the D drive. When attempting to write to the drive
    containing a blank CD I get an error message that there isn't a disc in
    the drive. Properties says that the free space and used space on the cd
    in the drive are zero.

    I can read the drive using Image Burn and it gives the correct amount of
    space used/available. I can also burn to the drive using Image Burn.
    This would preclude a defective drive.

    Am not sure when the problem occurred. By that I mean that I have not
    used the drive for a month or so and during that period something such
    as an new program could have changed the registry in such a manner as to
    prevent writing/recognizing a blank cd in the drive.

    Trouble shooting thus far: Based upon an MVP suggestion I changed the
    upper and lower filters in the registry to upperfiltersold and
    lowerfiltersold.
    Following this change I was able to read a CD, however I still cannot
    burn a CD. Prior to the change I
    could not read a previously recorded CD. The mvp suggestion was directed
    to another writer/poster and I had
    no direct communication with the mvp. The forum I was monitoring is:
    forums.microsoft.com/msdn. You might ask, why didn't I chat with the
    MVP... good question.. the answer is that I did not have my newsreader
    active until today, hence could not post.

    Also tried a system restore... but for some reason or another the OS
    will not restore..(restore is enabled) which makes me think that my
    problems are not just related to the driver/drive issue...

    The usual suspects for messing up the registry are Canon, Kodak, Itunes,
    Quicktime, Adobe photoshop and PhotoStudio. My problem is that I don't
    know how to go about isolating the above suspects as being the culprit
    of if indeed they might

    Note. Read in the one the Microsoft newsgroups.. don't ask which one..
    the Kodak easyshare is notorious for messing up the registry..

    Anyway I certainly will appreciate any information/solution that might
    be offered.

    Wally Ballou

    _____________________________ System Configuration _____________

    June 19, 2008

    Virus Protection
    OK
    Up-to-date

    Microsoft Security Updates
    OK
    Up-to-date

    Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.60 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX

    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision
    0609 12/04/2006

    910.20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    647.39 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A [CD-ROM drive]

    Total ram: 4096 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM_B1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_B2' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_A1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_A2' has 1024 MB

    Controllers

    NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x) NVIDIA GeForce
    7600 GT [Display adapter]
    ViewSonic VG2021m [Monitor] (20.2"vis, s/n Q6U061703527, April 2006)
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Communications:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

    Virus Protection
    avast! antivirus 4.8.1201 [VPS 080619-0] Version 4.8.1201
    Realtime File Scanning On

    Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes:

    All required security hotfixes (using the 06/10/2008 Microsoft Security
    Bulletin Summary) have been installed.

    Installed Microsoft Hotfixes:
    MSXML4SP2
    KB927978 on 2/17/2007
    KB936181 on 8/15/2007
    Windows Server 2003
    SP0
    KB928090-IE7
    KB929969

    Adobe Systems - Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 1057-1039-0275-3550-
    2337-0607
    Microsoft - Windows Defender 81664-349-6443605-04410 (Key: R2D43-
    3DHG9-DQ79W-W3DXQ-929DY)
    Microsoft - Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 76588-OEM-5100582-
    09895
    Adobe Photo Downloader 3.0 component Version 3.0.0.66984 *
    Adobe Photoshop CS3 CS3 *
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Version 5.0 *
    Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 5.0 *
    Adobe Reader Version 8.1.0.2007051100 *

    America Online Version 9.02.000 *

    AOL Version 9.05.001 *

    Apache HTTP Server Version 2.0.52 *
    app_filter Module Version 1, 0, 1, 0 *
    Apple Computer, Inc. - Bonjour Version 1,0,3,1 *
    Apple Inc. - iTunes Version 7.2.0.34 *
    Apple Inc. - QuickTime QuickTime 7.5 (861) *
    Apple Software Update Version 2.1.0.110 *
    Applian FLV Player *
    ArcSoft, Inc. - PhotoStudio Version 5.5.0.87 *

    Atomic TimeSync *
    Atomic TimeSync Updates *

    Canon IJ Driver Uninstaller Version 1.2 *
    Canon IJ Utility Uninstaller Version 1, 3, 0, 0 *
    CANON INC. - MP Navigator EX Version 1, 0, 6, 0 *

    Eastman Kodak Company - Kodak EasyShare printer Version 5.2.0.037 *
    Eastman Kodak Company - Kodak EasyShare Software Version 6, 2, 0, 196 *

    JMicron JR036X RAID Application Version 1.07.01.00 *
    LIGHTNING UK! - ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 *
    Microsoft (r) Windows Script Host Version 5.6.0.8832 *
    Microsoft Clip Gallery Version 5.1.00.1221 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 7.00.6000.16674 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Messenger Version 4.7.3001 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows Defender Version 1.1.1593.0 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer - Unicode Version
    3.1.4000.3959 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1.4029.0 *
    Microsoft Corporation - Zone.com Version 1.2.626.1 *
    Microsoft Data Access Components Version 3.526.3959.0 *
    Microsoft IntelliType Pro Version 5.5 *
    Microsoft Office 2000 Version 9.0.2719 *
    Microsoft Outlook Version 9.0.2416 *
    Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows Version 9.0.2716 *
    Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.1433 *
    Microsoft® Access Version 9.0.2719 *
    Mozilla Corporation - Firefox Version 3.0b4 *
    Mozilla Corporation - Thunderbird Version 2.0.0.14 *
    NASA - World Wind Version 1.4.0.0 *
    NVIDIA Corporation - ActiveArmor Firewall Version 2, 2, 0, 464 *
    NVIDIA Corporation - Network Access Manager Version 2, 2, 0, 464 *
    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 91.31 Version 6.14.10.9131 *
    NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager Version 2, 2, 0, 464 *
    SiSoftware Sandra XI Version 11.17.2007.1 *
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update
    10 Version 5.0.100.3 *
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U3 Version 6.0.30.5 *
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U5 Version 6.0.50.13 *
    TimeSync Version 2, 0, 0, 0 *
    Topala Software Solutions - System Information for Windows Version 1,
    73, 638, 0 *
    unopkg.exe *
    Urge Version 1.1.9060.0 *
    WinZip Version 11.0 (7256) *
    WinZip Version 11.0 (7313) *
    Wireless Network Monitor *

    Wally Ballou, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Wally Ballou

    Carlos Guest

    Wally,
    I am running Vista now so I cannot give you the precise sequence of commands.
    Open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive and choose Properties.
    From there on, look in the tabs for a check box that enables the recording
    capabilities of the device.
    My guess is that it is unchecked.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 19, 2008

  3. Wally Ballou

    Wally Ballou Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <> wrote in

    > Wally,
    > I am running Vista now so I cannot give you the precise sequence of
    > commands. Open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive and choose
    > Properties. From there on, look in the tabs for a check box that
    > enables the recording capabilities of the device.
    > My guess is that it is unchecked.
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Wally Ballou" wrote:
    >
    >> I can read a previously written cd or dvd but cannot write to a blank
    >> disk (cd/dvd)in the D drive. When attempting to write to the drive
    >> containing a blank CD I get an error message that there isn't a disc
    >> in the drive. Properties says that the free space and used space on
    >> the cd in the drive are zero.
    >>
    >> I can read the drive using Image Burn and it gives the correct amount
    >> of space used/available. I can also burn to the drive using Image
    >> Burn. This would preclude a defective drive.
    >>

    >> Anyway I certainly will appreciate any information/solution that
    >> might be offered.
    >>
    >> Wally Ballou

    I guess what I neglected to add was that I had ensured that the box in
    properties to enable writing to this drive was checked marked... It
    was..

    Wally

    Wally Ballou, Jun 20, 2008
  4. Wally Ballou

    Wally Ballou Guest

    Wally Ballou <> wrote in

    > I can read a previously written cd or dvd but cannot write to a blank
    > disk (cd/dvd)in the D drive. When attempting to write to the drive
    > containing a blank CD I get an error message that there isn't a disc in
    > the drive. Properties says that the free space and used space on the cd
    > in the drive are zero.
    >
    > I can read the drive using Image Burn and it gives the correct amount of
    > space used/available. I can also burn to the drive using Image Burn.
    > This would preclude a defective drive.
    >
    > Am not sure when the problem occurred. By that I mean that I have not

    An update to the above...

    The drive is being detected as a DVD/CD-ROM drive hence the inability to
    write to the drive...

    Question: Why and how do I fix this?

    Wally

    Wally Ballou, Jun 20, 2008
  5. Wally Ballou

    umwhat Guest

    a suggestion...but I'm no pro...tho'..I have experienced the rom drive not
    reading cds and dvds, and some very odd rom drive behaviour.
    In my opinion...bear with me...the various softwares seem to be the
    problems there.
    Probably the very best thing to do is to remove the drive cable then
    reboot the pc and reboot again after you reconnect the cable...thus
    refreshing the rom drive in Windows. One very good trick is to have the
    software application you wish to use open before the cd or dvd is inserted
    into the drive.

    I had a very good idea come to me while I was reding your post...to RUN
    msconfig and disallow the applications for the other cdrom applications from
    running. You could try this before trying the removing cable trick.

    --
    ....scribble...scribble...scribble...

    umwhat, Jun 21, 2008
  6. Don't I recall that 'some' drives may need to be connected as slave to be
    recognized as burners? (i.e. - sit on the middle connector of a flat cable -
    all IDE/ATAPI drives jumpered as CS (Cable Select))

    I may be wrong, it's a long time since I had that kind of trouble!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 21, 2008
  7. Wally Ballou

    Wally Ballou Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Don't I recall that 'some' drives may need to be connected as slave to be
    > recognized as burners? (i.e. - sit on the middle connector of a flat cable -
    > all IDE/ATAPI drives jumpered as CS (Cable Select))
    >
    > I may be wrong, it's a long time since I had that kind of trouble!
    >

    > Tony. . .

    Thanks for the input but the drive is configured as slave..

    Wally

    Wally Ballou, Jun 21, 2008
  8. Wally Ballou

    rhino skin Guest

    Had the same problem last week. Ended up replacing the drive, all is well
    now.

    rhino skin, Jun 22, 2008