Unable to "view available wireless networks"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by halfwaytoanywhere@gmail.com, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Yesterday I did a clean re-install of XP Professional (due to numerous
    viruses/malware I couldn't manually get rid of) and so today I need to
    get reconnected to my wireless broadband connection. One problem: I
    can't find "view available wireless networks" anywhere, and I have
    looked everywhere. Nowhere in my internet options/network connections
    is there ANY mention of wireless whatsoever. I'm currently using my
    dad's Dell laptop, which is still working fine and I can right-click >
    view available wireless networks on his taskbar, but for some reason
    it has vanished from my PC. Wireless Zero configuration is set to
    automatic. I am using a Draytek Vigor 2600W router, if that's any
    help.

    Another thing - we recently bought a BT Home Hub which is currently
    still in its box. I'm considering trying to set that up instead to
    solve the problem, but am still worried this might not work due to not
    being able to find any wireless options on my PC.

    Any advice? Should I try to sort out the current connection or just
    try and install the BT Home Hub?

    , Aug 30, 2007

  2. It sounds like the driver for the wireless nic is not installed yet after
    you've reinstalled Windows. The Zero Config thing won't do anything if
    Windows does not know that it has a wireless nic available.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Dana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday I did a clean re-install of XP Professional (due to numerous
    > viruses/malware I couldn't manually get rid of) and so today I need to
    > get reconnected to my wireless broadband connection. One problem: I
    > can't find "view available wireless networks" anywhere, and I have
    > looked everywhere. Nowhere in my internet options/network connections
    > is there ANY mention of wireless whatsoever.

    Sounds like you did not install the driver for the wireless nic.

    Dana, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Hi
    It sounds like you Wireless core installation is not working at all.
    May be this can Help to find what is wrong.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 30, 2007