Unable to use the dropdown menu, View>Source in Internet Explorer.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TC, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. TC

    TC Guest

    Any suggestion:

    I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an
    up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit
    button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not grayed
    out, just will not work.

    This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I
    initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since
    there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't know
    if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but since a
    couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or missing notepad
    I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and appears
    to be working.

    My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the above,
    but no luck.

    I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but no
    luck:

    Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.

    I all tried the suggestions at http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html,
    plus the ones offered at the links this site offered at "Microsoft Knowledge
    Base Solutions," to include those at:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907

    If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.

    Thanks
    TC, Oct 27, 2005

  2. TC bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Any suggestion:
    >

    > I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    > View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an
    > up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit
    > button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not
    > grayed out, just will not work.
    >

    > This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    > screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    > lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I
    > initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    > suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since
    > there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't
    > know if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but
    > since a couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or
    > missing notepad
    > I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and appears
    > to be working.
    >

    > My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the
    > above, but no luck.
    >

    > I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but
    > no luck:
    >

    > Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.
    >

    > I all tried the suggestions at
    > http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html, plus the ones offered at the
    > links this site offered at "Microsoft Knowledge Base Solutions," to
    > include those at:
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907
    >

    > If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.
    >

    > Thanks

    Notepad on your system?
    Michael Thompson, Oct 27, 2005

  3. TC

    TC Guest

    "Michael Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > TC bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> Any suggestion:
    >>

    >> I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >> View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an
    >> up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit
    >> button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not
    >> grayed out, just will not work.
    >>

    >> This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    >> screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    >> lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I
    >> initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    >> suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since
    >> there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't
    >> know if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but
    >> since a couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or
    >> missing notepad
    >> I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and
    >> appears
    >> to be working.
    >>

    >> My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the
    >> above, but no luck.
    >>

    >> I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but
    >> no luck:
    >>

    >> Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.
    >>

    >> I all tried the suggestions at
    >> http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html, plus the ones offered at
    >> the
    >> links this site offered at "Microsoft Knowledge Base Solutions," to
    >> include those at:
    >>

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907
    >>

    >> If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > Notepad on your system?

    Did you read my message?
    TC, Oct 27, 2005
  4. TC

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:41:26 -0400, TC wrote:

    >Any suggestion:
    >
    >I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an

    It's a registry thing for the editor.

    >up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit

    It's not that up-to-date it's a few years old now.

    >button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not grayed
    >out, just will not work.

    You haven't mentioned the settings Tools | Options | Programs

    >This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    >screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    >lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I

    Ir'a takes a lot of skill to do that in a few lines.

    >initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    >suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since

    No mention of the book / page in case it's handy as a reference.

    >there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't know

    Maybe that's because notepad is text only , just as a .htm file is text
    only. Simply save the file (HTML) as myfile.htm you don't need a save as
    option.

    Using word is wrong on many levels.

    >if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but since a
    >couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or missing notepad
    >I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and appears
    >to be working.

    That's lucky.

    >My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the above,
    >but no luck.
    >
    >I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but no
    >luck:

    Didn't mention any? It saves a lot of guessing or offers better
    suggestions for another search.

    >Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.

    Which was as below? With all those extra blank lines it's hard to tell
    if 1 bit of your message is related to another.

    >I all tried the suggestions at http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html,
    >plus the ones offered at the links this site offered at "Microsoft Knowledge
    >Base Solutions," to include those at:

    Change the View Source editor to an editor other than notepad. If you
    have to install something
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/webpublish/fwtext.html

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907

    Now you are changing subjects?

    >If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.
    >

    >Thanks

    Me
    why?, Oct 28, 2005
  5. TC

    TC Guest

    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:41:26 -0400, TC wrote:
    >
    >>Any suggestion:
    >>
    >>I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >>View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an

    > It's a registry thing for the editor.

    So, your point is? Some people with this issue have reported getting an
    error code. I didn't get one.

    >>up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit

    > It's not that up-to-date it's a few years old now.

    Other than the Internet Explorer 7 Now in Beta, what version is newer?

    >>button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not
    >>grayed
    >>out, just will not work.

    > You haven't mentioned the settings Tools | Options | Programs

    What Tools | Options | Programs question do you have? My HTML editor is set
    as it should be, on notepad, however it does not work on either setting.

    >>This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    >>screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    >>lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I

    > Ir'a takes a lot of skill to do that in a few lines.

    Actally very little skill. It can be done in less than 5 minutes.

    >>initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    >>suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since

    > No mention of the book / page in case it's handy as a reference.

    That is not really important. Either you have a suggestion or you don't.

    >>there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't
    >>know

    > Maybe that's because notepad is text only , just as a .htm file is text
    > only. Simply save the file (HTML) as myfile.htm you don't need a save as
    > option.
    >
    > Using word is wrong on many levels.

    How so?

    >>if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but since
    >>couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or missing
    >>notepad
    >>I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and appears
    >>to be working.

    > That's lucky.

    How so?

    >>My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the
    >>above,
    >>but no luck.
    >>
    >>I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but
    >>no
    >>luck:

    > Didn't mention any? It saves a lot of guessing or offers better
    > suggestions for another search.

    That is why I provide the link that I did. It list a dozen very easy to
    follow suggestions, which happen to be the same ones offered by 99 % of the
    other references to this problem.

    >>Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.

    > Which was as below? With all those extra blank lines it's hard to tell
    > if 1 bit of your message is related to another.

    Sorry blank space confuses you.

    >>I all tried the suggestions at
    >>http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html,
    >>plus the ones offered at the links this site offered at "Microsoft
    >>Knowledge
    >>Base Solutions," to include those at:

    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1246/
    >
    > Change the View Source editor to an editor other than notepad. If you
    > have to install something

    I would rather find out what is broken and fix it.

    > http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/webpublish/fwtext.html
    >

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907
    >>

    > Now you are changing subjects?

    What are you talking about?

    The last link I provided takes you to:

    Source Code Is Not Displayed When You Click Source on the View Menu in
    Internet Explorer

    >>If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.
    >>

    >>Thanks

    > Me

    thanks
    TC, Oct 28, 2005
  6. TC

    TC Guest

    Re: Unable to use the dropdown menu---answer found!!

    "TC" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > Sorry blank space confuses you.
    >

    >>>I all tried the suggestions at
    >>>http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html,
    >>>plus the ones offered at the links this site offered at "Microsoft
    >>>Knowledge
    >>>Base Solutions," to include those at:

    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1246/
    >>
    >> Change the View Source editor to an editor other than notepad. If you
    >> have to install something

    > I would rather find out what is broken and fix it.
    >
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/webpublish/fwtext.html
    >>

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907
    >>>

    >> Now you are changing subjects?

    > What are you talking about?
    >
    > The last link I provided takes you to:
    >
    > Source Code Is Not Displayed When You Click Source on the View Menu in
    > Internet Explorer
    >

    >>>If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.

    According to:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;904678

    "SYMPTOMS
    The view-source protocol no longer works in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
    for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs because the view-source protocol has been disabled as
    part of the MIME handling in Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP SP2.

    STATUS
    This behavior is by design."
    TC, Oct 28, 2005
  7. TC bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Michael Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> TC bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> Any suggestion:
    >>>

    >>> I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >>> View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an
    >>> up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit
    >>> button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not
    >>> grayed out, just will not work.
    >>>

    >>> This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did
    >>> to screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple
    >>> of
    >>> lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I
    >>> initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad
    >>> as suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but
    >>> since
    >>> there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't
    >>> know if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should,
    >>> but since a couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or
    >>> missing notepad
    >>> I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and
    >>> appears
    >>> to be working.
    >>>

    >>> My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the
    >>> above, but no luck.
    >>>

    >>> I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but
    >>> no luck:
    >>>

    >>> Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.
    >>>

    >>> I all tried the suggestions at
    >>> http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html, plus the ones offered at
    >>> the
    >>> links this site offered at "Microsoft Knowledge Base Solutions," to
    >>> include those at:
    >>>

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306907
    >>>

    >>> If someone has a silver bullet fix, I would love to hear about it.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks

    >> Notepad on your system?

    > Did you read my message?

    Nope.
    Michael Thompson, Oct 28, 2005
  8. TC

    Trax Guest

    "TC" <> wrote:

    >>>I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >>>View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens.

    |>According to:
    |>
    |>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;904678
    |>
    |>"SYMPTOMS
    |>The view-source protocol no longer works in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
    |>for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
    |>
    |>CAUSE
    |>This behavior occurs because the view-source protocol has been disabled as
    |>part of the MIME handling in Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP SP2.
    |>
    |>STATUS
    |>This behavior is by design."

    Damn

    "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html
    lang="en"><head><title>CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather,
    Entertainment &amp; Video News</title> <meta
    http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">"

    Mines broke.

    I.E. 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2

    --
    The case of the 500-mile email
    http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html
    Trax, Oct 28, 2005
  9. TC

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:31:40 -0400, TC wrote:

    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:41:26 -0400, TC wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any suggestion:
    >>>
    >>>I am unable to view any web page's source code, using the dropdown menu,
    >>>View>Source. No error message, just nothing happens. I am using an

    >> It's a registry thing for the editor.

    >So, your point is? Some people with this issue have reported getting an
    >error code. I didn't get one.

    The point is, if you can't set the editor in IE / Tools / Options /
    Programs or some association with Notepad is broken , you see one of the
    articles I posted a link for and edit the editor registry entry.

    Not getting an error doesn't mean you can't force an editor in the
    registry entry.

    >>>up-to-date version of Internet Explorer, version: 6.0. Also, the edit

    >> It's not that up-to-date it's a few years old now.

    >Other than the Internet Explorer 7 Now in Beta, what version is newer?

    None, you gave your own answer, IE 7 is +1 up on IE 6,

    >>>button on the IE tool bar is grayed out. The "Source" option is not
    >>>grayed
    >>>out, just will not work.

    >> You haven't mentioned the settings Tools | Options | Programs

    >What Tools | Options | Programs question do you have? My HTML editor is set
    >as it should be, on notepad, however it does not work on either setting.

    It wasn't a question, there wasn't a '?' , simply pointing out you
    didn't mention that setting earlier.

    >>>This just started a couple of days ago. I can't figure out what I did to
    >>>screw things up. I noticed the problem shortly after I wrote a couple of
    >>>lines of HTML just to test out my new web page-which works fine. I

    >> Ir'a takes a lot of skill to do that in a few lines.

    >Actally very little skill. It can be done in less than 5 minutes.

    So it seems :)

    >>>initially tried to write and save the .htm text-only page with notepad as
    >>>suggested in the book I was using as a source of information, but since

    >> No mention of the book / page in case it's handy as a reference.

    >That is not really important. Either you have a suggestion or you don't.

    If someone had the book , the instructions you followed would be
    accessable. It's not known if you had a problem following the
    instructions, which it sounded like re the Word - can't save as text
    issue or as often happens there could be a mistake in the instructions.

    >>>there was no save as text-only option with notepad, I used word. Don't
    >>>know

    >> Maybe that's because notepad is text only , just as a .htm file is text
    >> only. Simply save the file (HTML) as myfile.htm you don't need a save as
    >> option.
    >>
    >> Using word is wrong on many levels.

    >How so?

    Too many to mention, hence the comment.

    >>>if this has any bearing on the problem-don't know why it should, but since
    >>>couple of the solutions to this problem mention a damaged or missing
    >>>notepad
    >>>I thought I would mention it. However, notepad is not missing and appears
    >>>to be working.

    >> That's lucky.

    >How so?

    You could have answered that yourself, notepad is working , one less
    issue to think about.

    >>>My OS is Windows XP SP2, and I tried a system restore back beyond the
    >>>above,
    >>>but no luck.
    >>>
    >>>I Googled the problem and tried all of the suggestions I could find, but
    >>>no
    >>>luck:

    >> Didn't mention any? It saves a lot of guessing or offers better
    >> suggestions for another search.

    >That is why I provide the link that I did. It list a dozen very easy to
    >follow suggestions, which happen to be the same ones offered by 99 % of the
    >other references to this problem.
    >

    >>>Most of the sites I Googled offered the same suggestion.

    >> Which was as below? With all those extra blank lines it's hard to tell
    >> if 1 bit of your message is related to another.

    >Sorry blank space confuses you.

    No, makes it harder to see parts of the message next to each other. It
    makes your message longer then needed.

    >>>I all tried the suggestions at
    >>>http://www.mredkj.com/tutorials/tips_ie.html,
    >>>plus the ones offered at the links this site offered at "Microsoft
    >>>Knowledge
    >>>Base Solutions," to include those at:

    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1246/
    >>
    >> Change the View Source editor to an editor other than notepad. If you
    >> have to install something

    >I would rather find out what is broken and fix it.

    If installing another editor changes some registry setting or file
    association and works most of the problem is solved. You would then only
    have to reset the editor back to notepad.

    <snip>

    >> Now you are changing subjects?

    >What are you talking about?

    You went on about silver bullets not me, they are anti-werewolf
    protection.

    <snip>

    why?, Oct 28, 2005
  10. TC

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:17:49 -0400, TC wrote:

    >"TC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> It's a registry thing for the editor.

    >> So, your point is? Some people with this issue have reported getting an
    >> error code. I didn't get one.

    <snip>

    >According to:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;904678

    Interesting, thanks for that. Nice one MS strikes again, What's going to
    be disabled next?

    I must not have yet installed the patch that does that yet.

    Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
    Update Versions:; SP2;

    Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack2)

    Looking at
    http://www.msn.co.uk/Default.asp?MSPSA=1

    <HTML DIR="LTR"><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
    CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><meta http-equiv="pics-label"
    content='(pics-1.1 "http://www.icra.org/ratingsv02.html" l gen true for
    "http://www.msn.co.uk" r (cz 1 lz 1 nz 1 oz 1 vz 1)
    "http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html" l gen true for
    "http://www.msn.co.uk" r (n 0 s 0 v 0 l 0))' /><META NAME="KEYWORDS"
    CONTENT="MSN9.4 UK Homepage
    news
    123" /><META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="MSN9.4 UK Homepage" /><META
    HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache" /><META
    HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache" /><TITLE>Welcome to
    MSN.co.uk</TITLE><style id="ftcss" type="text/css">@import
    "/gen/css/MSN9_4_sv2/css-font.css?V=1.04";</style><style id="nbcss"
    type="text/css">@import
    "/gen/css/MSN9_4_sv2/home-ie6.css?V=1.04";</style><link id="blcss"
    title="b" href="/gen/css/MSN9_4_sv2/css-blue.css?V=1.04"
    rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"><script type="text/javascript"
    src="/gen/js/gbl.js?V=1"></script><script type="text/javascript"
    src="/gen/js/hdr.js?V=1"></script>

    <script>
    //var bSearch=true;
    //var L_H_TEXT="For help using this MSN Home page, click a topic.";
    //var H_KEY="redaeh_egap";
    //var H_TOPIC="";
    var H_VER='2.6', bSearch=false , H_TOPIC='', H_BRAND='', H_FILTER='',
    L_CONTACTUS_URL='', bOptNoResize=false, H_TARG='';
    var H_BURL="/gen/config/msn9ux/helppane.asp";

    Opened up in Notepad.

    why?, Oct 28, 2005