Unable to use Nokia 5156i as modem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Edmond Lo, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Edmond Lo

    Edmond Lo Guest

    Hi there,

    My friend got a Nokia 5156i mobile (Telecom) and a CA-35 data cable. He
    wants to use the phone as a modem on his laptop when he is in a remote area.
    His laptop is a Dell Latitude D420 runningWindows XP. He downloaded the
    latest version of Nokia PC Suite from Nokia site and installed it. Now the
    laptop detected the phone ok and he can transfer files between phone and PC.
    But when he trys at using the phone as a modem to make a dial-up connection,
    the phone will dial but then disconnects when it trying to connect. On it's
    own I can ring the dial-up number and can hear the modem noise at the other
    end. And the build-in modem in the laptop works find with dial-up. Just
    wondering if anyone have any experience with using the 5156i as a modem
    please?

    Thanks,

    Cake.

    "I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think I think I know, I don't
    think I think." - Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky the 4th.

    Edmond Lo, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Edmond Lo

    evans Guest

    Hi,

    it could be to do with Telecom.

    i used to have a nokia with vodafone and i used it as dialup on emergency
    but after vodafone launched GPRS service they stopped allowing me to dial up
    to any ISP.

    Evans

    evans, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Edmond Lo

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 8 Aug, 10:02, "Edmond Lo" <> wrote:

    > But when he trys at using the phone as a modem to make a dial-up connection,

    Digital cell phones don't make particularly good analogue modems.
    Can't he use the CDMA equivalent of GPRS?

    Jason Rumney, Aug 9, 2007