    solution.

    I must be missing something here. Will someone please help me out?

    Thank you.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    Perhaps the Sony only handles 480i at the component level and the
    Samsung is outputting 480p. In theory, only the DVD part of the Samsung
    unit should be using the component electronics anyway. The VCR part is
    composite analog by design. Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Eugene Pokopac (Lawrenceville GA)

    , Dec 13, 2006

  3. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Perhaps the Sony only handles 480i at the component level and the
    > Samsung is outputting 480p. In theory, only the DVD part of the Samsung
    > unit should be using the component electronics anyway. The VCR part is
    > composite analog by design. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eugene Pokopac (Lawrenceville GA)

    Thank you very much. Yes, it does help me understand what is going on a
    little better.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Perhaps the Sony only handles 480i at the component level and the
    > Samsung is outputting 480p. In theory, only the DVD part of the Samsung
    > unit should be using the component electronics anyway. The VCR part is
    > composite analog by design. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eugene Pokopac (Lawrenceville GA)

    Thanks again. The Sony will handle only 480i and the Samsung will output
    either i or p. It was set to output 480p. I made sure it was in the 480i
    mode and now get a picture. Viewing the cable, I see little or no
    difference on the screen. I expect that is because of what you said about
    only the DVD part using the component electronics.

    Thanks again for you help in enabling me to understand a little more than
    before.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Jack Gillis

    Company Man Guest

    "Jack Gillis" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps the Sony only handles 480i at the component level and the
    >> Samsung is outputting 480p. In theory, only the DVD part of the
    >> Samsung
    >> unit should be using the component electronics anyway. The VCR part
    >> is
    >> composite analog by design. Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Eugene Pokopac (Lawrenceville GA)
    >>

    > Thanks again. The Sony will handle only 480i and the Samsung will
    > output either i or p. It was set to output 480p. I made sure it
    > was in the 480i mode and now get a picture. Viewing the cable, I
    > see little or no difference on the screen. I expect that is because
    > of what you said about only the DVD part using the component
    > electronics.
    >
    > Thanks again for you help in enabling me to understand a little more
    > than before.

    Don't expect HD quality if you're stuck in 480i.

    Company Man, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Jack Gillis

    Guest

    You're very welcome! Glad it did the trick for you.

    "Don't expect HD quality if you're stuck in 480i."

    That is a true statement. You have to be 720 or higher to be considered
    HD. Some companies use the term "Extended Definition" for 480. It's
    still a nice picture.

    Regards,

    Eugene

    , Dec 14, 2006
  7. Jack Gillis wrote:
    > Am new to this group as well as to the world of 'out of wall ' cable TV
    > conected to an old VCR.
    >
    > I have a new Sony KD27FS170 TV and a Samsung DVD VR330 DVD/VCR combo unit
    > and have hooked them together via an RF cable as well as an AV cable. They
    > work fine together in each case.
    >
    > Now I would like to connect them via a component cable. I have connected,
    > correctly I think, the cable to each of the appropriate jacks on each unit
    > but get no picture on the screen. I have cycled through the available
    > inputs using the TV/VIDEO button on the TV's remote but still cannot find a
    > picture. I have read both manuals several times but haven't found a
    > solution.
    >
    > I must be missing something here. Will someone please help me out?

    I'd be willing to bet that the component output will only work when
    you're playing a DVD.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Dec 21, 2006
  8. Jack Gillis

    guest Guest

    On 2006-12-21, Geena Phillips <> wrote:
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> Am new to this group as well as to the world of 'out of wall ' cable TV
    >> conected to an old VCR.
    >>
    >> I have a new Sony KD27FS170 TV and a Samsung DVD VR330 DVD/VCR combo unit
    >> and have hooked them together via an RF cable as well as an AV cable. They
    >> work fine together in each case.
    >>
    >> Now I would like to connect them via a component cable. I have connected,
    >> correctly I think, the cable to each of the appropriate jacks on each unit
    >> but get no picture on the screen. I have cycled through the available
    >> inputs using the TV/VIDEO button on the TV's remote but still cannot find a
    >> picture. I have read both manuals several times but haven't found a
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> I must be missing something here. Will someone please help me out?

    > I'd be willing to bet that the component output will only work when
    > you're playing a DVD.

    Quite possible that the Samsung doesn't upvert the RF cable; try connectiong
    the composite outputs from the cable box to see if the Samsung's component
    output will convert to component output.

    I haven't tried it with the RF cable but the composite video does upvert
    to component on my "old" Panasonic recorder/player even when not playing
    a DVD, just turning the Panasonic on will "pass-thru" the signals for
    output.

    guest, Dec 21, 2006
  9. Jack Gillis

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:19:42 -0500, Geena Phillips
    <> wrote:

    >Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> Am new to this group as well as to the world of 'out of wall ' cable TV
    >> conected to an old VCR.
    >>
    >> I have a new Sony KD27FS170 TV and a Samsung DVD VR330 DVD/VCR combo unit
    >> and have hooked them together via an RF cable as well as an AV cable. They
    >> work fine together in each case.
    >>
    >> Now I would like to connect them via a component cable. I have connected,
    >> correctly I think, the cable to each of the appropriate jacks on each unit
    >> but get no picture on the screen. I have cycled through the available
    >> inputs using the TV/VIDEO button on the TV's remote but still cannot find a
    >> picture. I have read both manuals several times but haven't found a
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> I must be missing something here. Will someone please help me out?

    >I'd be willing to bet that the component output will only work when
    >you're playing a DVD.

    Yes, the VHS section only outputs via composite and RF. Furthermore
    for DVD component output you have to set in the menu of the player
    whether you're using Component (Y -Y-r, Y-b) or Y/C output.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Dec 28, 2006
  10. Jack Gillis

    Jack Gillis Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:19:42 -0500, Geena Phillips
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jack Gillis wrote:
    >>> Am new to this group as well as to the world of 'out of wall ' cable TV
    >>> conected to an old VCR.
    >>>
    >>> I have a new Sony KD27FS170 TV and a Samsung DVD VR330 DVD/VCR combo
    >>> unit
    >>> and have hooked them together via an RF cable as well as an AV cable.
    >>> They
    >>> work fine together in each case.
    >>>
    >>> Now I would like to connect them via a component cable. I have
    >>> connected,
    >>> correctly I think, the cable to each of the appropriate jacks on each
    >>> unit
    >>> but get no picture on the screen. I have cycled through the available
    >>> inputs using the TV/VIDEO button on the TV's remote but still cannot
    >>> find a
    >>> picture. I have read both manuals several times but haven't found a
    >>> solution.
    >>>
    >>> I must be missing something here. Will someone please help me out?

    >>I'd be willing to bet that the component output will only work when
    >>you're playing a DVD.

    > Yes, the VHS section only outputs via composite and RF. Furthermore
    > for DVD component output you have to set in the menu of the player
    > whether you're using Component (Y -Y-r, Y-b) or Y/C output.
    >
    > .. Steve ..
    >>

    >>--

    Thank you, Steve.

    Jack Gillis, Dec 28, 2006