unable to upload to a website

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by carl, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. carl

    carl Guest

    Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
    when using my home computer.
    I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
    Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
    dial up) works except computers on my network.
    Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
    mozilla.
    I have used XP and win2k.
    I have disabled the firewall.
    I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
    Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.

    Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
    application
    on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
    give the
    web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)

    Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??

    AK
    carl, Jun 24, 2004

  2. carl

    Collector_NZ Guest

    carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
    > Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
    > when using my home computer.
    > I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
    > Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
    > dial up) works except computers on my network.
    > Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
    > mozilla.
    > I have used XP and win2k.
    > I have disabled the firewall.
    > I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
    > Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
    >
    > Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
    > application
    > on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
    > give the
    > web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
    >
    > Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
    >
    > AK

    Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.

    But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
    submit operation.
    Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
    cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
    there or is too short.
    Collector_NZ, Jun 24, 2004

  3. carl

    carl Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
    > > Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
    > > when using my home computer.
    > > I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
    > > Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
    > > dial up) works except computers on my network.
    > > Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
    > > mozilla.
    > > I have used XP and win2k.
    > > I have disabled the firewall.
    > > I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
    > > Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
    > >
    > > Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
    > > application
    > > on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
    > > give the
    > > web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
    > >
    > > AK

    > Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
    >
    > But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
    > submit operation.
    > Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
    > cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
    > there or is too short.

    the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    slowing
    moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    displayed' message.
    what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.

    Thanks
    carl, Jun 25, 2004
  4. carl

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    carl <> expelled:

    > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    > slowing
    > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    > displayed' message.
    > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
    >
    > Thanks

    Yahoo and google's toolbar popup blockers can cause this behaviour - one of
    my clients has a secretary who keeps downloading them and then can't log in
    to a few sites.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jun 25, 2004
  5. carl

    Collector_NZ Guest

    carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:
    > Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>carl said the following on 24/06/2004 20:12:
    >>
    >>>Im trying to fill out a form on a website but it always times out
    >>>when using my home computer.
    >>>I can browse to the website login and load the forms but no saving.
    >>>Every computer I have tried this on (using an internal adsl modem and
    >>>dial up) works except computers on my network.
    >>>Using a Dynalink RTA300 router/modem I have tried using IE and
    >>>mozilla.
    >>>I have used XP and win2k.
    >>>I have disabled the firewall.
    >>>I have checked security settings on the browser which apear fine but
    >>>Im at a loss as to why I cant upload to the site.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunatly the people who maintain the site no little about the
    >>>application
    >>>on the site or why it might not be accepting data and Iam unable to
    >>>give the
    >>>web address out on the newsgroup (security issues)
    >>>
    >>>Does anybody have any idea what in my setup could be causing this??
    >>>
    >>>AK

    >>Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
    >>
    >>But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
    >>submit operation.
    >>Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
    >>cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
    >>there or is too short.

    > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    > slowing
    > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    > displayed' message.
    > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
    >
    > Thanks

    Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form
    Collector_NZ, Jun 25, 2004
  6. carl

    carl Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:
    > > Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >>Without being able to view the forms/source no answer forthcoming.
    > >>
    > >>But please explain what you mean by times out. A form is static until a
    > >>submit operation.
    > >>Now if it is PHP driven your sesion could be expiring, usually a session
    > >>cookie is set by a php authorised form and it is either not getting
    > >>there or is too short.

    > > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    > > slowing
    > > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    > > displayed' message.
    > > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    > > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

    I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
    it
    the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
    connected to the internet it wont work.
    I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
    my computer is at the IP address of my router.
    carl, Jun 27, 2004
  7. carl

    carl Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:<cbg7dp$ii1$>...
    > In news:,
    > carl <> expelled:
    >
    > > the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    > > slowing
    > > moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    > > displayed' message.
    > > what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    > > before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Yahoo and google's toolbar popup blockers can cause this behaviour - one of
    > my clients has a secretary who keeps downloading them and then can't log in
    > to a few sites.

    Hi
    I dont have the google toolbar on IE and I use mozilla most of the
    time so I dont think that is causing it, Thanks
    carl, Jun 27, 2004
  8. carl

    Collector_NZ Guest

    carl said the following on 27/06/2004 21:41:

    > Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>carl said the following on 25/06/2004 15:29:

    >>>the browser says it is connecting to the site and the progress bar is
    >>>slowing
    >>>moving at the bottom of the screen and then I get a 'page cannot be
    >>>displayed' message.
    >>>what Iam trying to do is eliminate anything it could be on my side
    >>>before I go blaming the administrators of the web site.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

    > I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
    > it
    > the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
    > connected to the internet it wont work.
    > I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
    > my computer is at the IP address of my router.

    That can be done, but is not a subject to publish in a public forum.

    What sort of function does this form perform, data collection, authorisation or
    what.
    Are you able to access other areas of the site (I assume you need to pass
    authentication to get into the site in the first place).
    Collector_NZ, Jun 27, 2004
  9. carl

    carl Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > carl said the following on 27/06/2004 21:41:
    >
    > > Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >>Get the latest java release, sounds like a java driven form

    > > I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
    > > it
    > > the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
    > > connected to the internet it wont work.
    > > I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
    > > my computer is at the IP address of my router.

    > That can be done, but is not a subject to publish in a public forum.
    >
    > What sort of function does this form perform, data collection, authorisation or
    > what.
    > Are you able to access other areas of the site (I assume you need to pass
    > authentication to get into the site in the first place).

    Iam doing some research for a company and have to access a website and
    upload some data and notes.
    I can logg into the site and load forms and select options on the
    forms but not 'save' data.
    I can only guess its a security feature to stop people from logging
    into the site without being identified by the site (IE if it queries
    my IP it will get a different response than if my compter was
    conected directly to the internet)
    carl, Jun 28, 2004
  10. carl

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:41:12 -0700, carl wrote:

    > I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the
    > web site into beliving my computer is at the IP address of my router.

    If your router is doing NAT (most likely), then the web site already
    thinks your computer is at the IP address of your router.

    Are you uploading files to it?

    If you look at the action attribute of the html form - does it go to
    another site or use a different protocol (eg https) etc.

    Can you fill out forms on other sites?

    Is there a proxy in the way somehow blocking POST data?

    Is there Javascript or similar on the page that is sending your LAN
    address to the server or similarly screwy things?

    The fact it is timing out rather than giving an error makes me suspect it
    is more likely to be a misconfiguration somewhere along the line rather
    than by design.

    You could try installing something like proxomitron or the live http
    headers extension in Mozilla to see what is actually being sent up there.
    That might give us some clues.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 28, 2004
  11. carl

    Collector_NZ Guest

    carl said the following on 28/06/2004 18:18:

    > Collector_NZ <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>carl said the following on 27/06/2004 21:41:

    >>>I dont think its a Java problem as IE5 and IE6 have no problems with
    >>>it
    >>>the only common thread I can find is that if Iam on a network
    >>>connected to the internet it wont work.
    >>>I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fool the web site into beliving
    >>>my computer is at the IP address of my router.

    >>That can be done, but is not a subject to publish in a public forum.
    >>
    >>What sort of function does this form perform, data collection, authorisation or
    >>what.
    >>Are you able to access other areas of the site (I assume you need to pass
    >>authentication to get into the site in the first place).

    > Iam doing some research for a company and have to access a website and
    > upload some data and notes.
    > I can logg into the site and load forms and select options on the
    > forms but not 'save' data.
    > I can only guess its a security feature to stop people from logging
    > into the site without being identified by the site (IE if it queries
    > my IP it will get a different response than if my compter was
    > conected directly to the internet)

    Not always so, if you are on adsl it will get your adsl router IP which still
    brings me back to it being a form controlled by java/php or what ever and
    possibly requiring access to a port that you do not have open in your
    firewall/router.
    Collector_NZ, Jun 28, 2004