    Any suggestions?
    --
    Dave

    Daave, Apr 19, 2006

  2. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:28:39 +0000, Daave wrote:

    > I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >
    > I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    > (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >
    > However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    > Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    > I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >
    > Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    > Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    > is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    > extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    > still no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Install more ram.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006

  3. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:28:39 +0000, Daave wrote:
    >
    >> I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >>
    >> I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    >> (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >>
    >> However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    >> Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    >> I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >>
    >> Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    >> Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    >> is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    >> extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    >> still no joy.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Install more ram.

    Yeah, install more RAM and then that will make it possible to
    uninstall it. In fact, in the future if you ever have a problem
    uninstalling any program, just install more RAM. If all your memory
    slots are filled, upgrade to larger memory sticks. When you have
    reached the maximum amount of memory that your computer is capable of
    using, get another computer.

    When you have a problem uninstalling a program on the new computer,
    add more RAM to it too. That is how you fix just about everything,
    add more RAM.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Unable to Uninstall Firefox 1.5.0.2
    > From: "(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net">
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.windows98
    > Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 GMT
    >
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:28:39 +0000, Daave wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >>>
    >>> I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    >>> (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >>>
    >>> However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    >>> Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    >>> I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >>>
    >>> Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    >>> Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    >>> is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    >>> extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    >>> still no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> Install more ram.

    > Yeah, install more RAM and then that will make it possible to
    > uninstall it.

    Glad you agree.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Unable to Uninstall Firefox 1.5.0.2
    >> From: "(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net">
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.windows98
    >> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 GMT
    >>
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Install more ram.

    >> Yeah, install more RAM and then that will make it possible to
    >> uninstall it.

    > Glad you agree.

    I thought you would be. It is abundantly clear that you know just
    about all there is to know about computers. You are so very wise and
    keen in your evaluations of problems that others have.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Daave

    me Guest

    ""(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)""
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in message
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:28:39 +0000, Daave wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >>>
    >>> I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    >>> (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >>>
    >>> However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    >>> Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    >>> I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >>>
    >>> Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    >>> Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    >>> is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    >>> extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    >>> still no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> Install more ram.

    > Yeah, install more RAM and then that will make it possible to uninstall
    > it. In fact, in the future if you ever have a problem uninstalling any
    > program, just install more RAM. If all your memory slots are filled,
    > upgrade to larger memory sticks. When you have reached the maximum amount
    > of memory that your computer is capable of using, get another computer.
    >
    > When you have a problem uninstalling a program on the new computer, add
    > more RAM to it too. That is how you fix just about everything, add more
    > RAM.
    >
    > Alt

    LOL

    me, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 03:04:48 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Subject: Re: Unable to Uninstall Firefox 1.5.0.2
    >>> From: "(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)" <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net">
    >>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.windows98
    >>> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:27:32 GMT

    >>> Yeah, install more RAM and then that will make it possible to
    >>> uninstall it.

    >> Glad you agree.

    > I thought you would be. It is abundantly clear that you know just
    > about all there is to know about computers. You are so very wise and
    > keen in your evaluations of problems that others have.

    That's so kind of you to say. Too bad I cannot offer you the same
    compliment.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 03:04:48 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Glad you agree.

    >> I thought you would be. It is abundantly clear that you know just
    >> about all there is to know about computers. You are so very wise and
    >> keen in your evaluations of problems that others have.
    >>

    > That's so kind of you to say. Too bad I cannot offer you the same
    > compliment.

    Maybe I just need some more RAM to help me better understand the
    intricacies of computer related things.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Daave

    Deano Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >
    > I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and
    > extensions (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >
    > However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive
    > that Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I
    > figured I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >
    > Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    > Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I
    > get is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    > extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default
    > settings; still no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Reinstall then uninstall?

    Or you could try fixing the cached pages in RAM issue though this is not a
    complete solution;

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/04/10/tweak-the-firefox-leak-todays-browser-tip/

    Note the commenter who says that the memory consumed by closing tabs isn't
    reclaimed.

    Deano, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:26:13 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I thought you would be. It is abundantly clear that you know just
    >>> about all there is to know about computers. You are so very wise and
    >>> keen in your evaluations of problems that others have.
    >>>

    >> That's so kind of you to say. Too bad I cannot offer you the same
    >> compliment.

    > Maybe I just need some more RAM to help me better understand the
    > intricacies of computer related things.

    You might try some. Or some cyanide, which ever is more readily available.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:26:13 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> That's so kind of you to say. Too bad I cannot offer you the same
    >>> compliment.

    >> Maybe I just need some more RAM to help me better understand the
    >> intricacies of computer related things.

    > You might try some. Or some cyanide, which ever is more readily available.

    All right Meat. Let us keep it civil, shall we? Anyway, I will
    readily acknowledge that every computer problem that has ever existed
    could have been fixed by adding more RAM, as you state.

    All you have to do is acknowledge that you have no other advice to
    give, other than add more RAM, in order to be able to uninstall Firefox.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:08:36 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Maybe I just need some more RAM to help me better understand the
    >>> intricacies of computer related things.

    >> You might try some. Or some cyanide, which ever is more readily available.
    >>

    > All right Meat. Let us keep it civil, shall we? Anyway, I will
    > readily acknowledge that every computer problem that has ever existed
    > could have been fixed by adding more RAM, as you state.

    Please quote my post stating "every computer problem that has ever existed
    could have been fixed by adding more ram." Use the space I've left
    directly below. Be sure to include full header and message ID:

    > All you have to do is acknowledge that you have no other advice to give,
    > other than add more RAM, in order to be able to uninstall Firefox.

    My advice as implied to the OP, fuckhead, was to add more ram so he
    wouldn't need to unistall. Sorry your atrophied brain can't read between
    the lines but that's not my problem.

    And, at 128 MB the OP really needs more regardless unless I misinterpreted
    that the OP only had 128 total. If that's the case then I'm wrong plain
    and simple.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  13. Daave

    philo Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >
    > I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    > (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >
    > However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    > Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    > I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >
    > Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    > Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    > is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    > extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    > still no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    unlike IE
    you can install different versions of Mozilla/Firefox at the same time

    you can generally just delete any non-wanted version

    philo, Apr 19, 2006
  14. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:08:36 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You might try some. Or some cyanide, which ever is more readily available.
    >>>

    >> All right Meat. Let us keep it civil, shall we? Anyway, I will
    >> readily acknowledge that every computer problem that has ever existed
    >> could have been fixed by adding more RAM, as you state.

    > Please quote my post stating "every computer problem that has ever existed
    > could have been fixed by adding more ram." Use the space I've left
    > directly below. Be sure to include full header and message ID:

    Okay, here is where you told the OP to install more RAM in order to be
    able to uninstall Firefox. I don't know why you are claiming that was
    not your advice, Meat Plow.

    As per requested, full headers:

    From: Meat Plow <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.windows98
    Subject: Re: Unable to Uninstall Firefox 1.5.0.2
    Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:48:33 -0400

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:28:39 +0000, Daave wrote:

    > I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >
    > I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    > (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >
    > However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    > Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    > I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >
    > Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    > Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    > is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    > extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    > still no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Install more ram.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 20, 2006
  15. Daave

    TVeblen Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    >I use Firefox 1.5.0.2 at work (OS is Windows 2000) and home (98 SE).
    >
    > I enjoy using it at work. And I like the tabbed browsing and extensions
    > (I find Adblock, Flashblock, and IE Tab all very useful).
    >
    > However, here at home it's simply a slow resource hog (I'm positive that
    > Firefox would be happier with *much* more than 128 MB of RAM). I figured
    > I'd uninstall it and experiment with 1.0.8.
    >
    > Funny thing: I'm unable to uninstall the sucker! I've tried through
    > Add/Remove in the Control Panel and running the uninstall.exe. All I get
    > is an hourglass for ten seconds, and then nada. I even uninstalled
    > extensions, started in safe mode, reverting to all the default settings;
    > still no joy.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > --
    > Dave

    I've been reading up on release 1.5 and have been holding up on installing
    it. There are some serious bugs in this new version that the good folks at
    mozilla are trying to work out. The main problems tend to be randomly
    distributed: not every user is affected. Many people run 1.5 w/o problems. I
    installed in on an old W98 box and while noticeably slow, it ran just fine.
    That box had 192MB RAM. But it is pretty clearly documented that some people
    are having problems. It seems to be hardware related: occurs on certain
    systems. The problems are generally: memory leaks (some of them quite
    large), processor usage spikes to 100%, and the inability to release memory
    addresses back to the system. Your problem could be caused by any one or all
    of these issues. I have no easy solution for you. The add memory suggestion
    might work. But you could also just rip the sucker out by the roots: delete
    all files and registry entries manually and then clean up. Install 1.0.7 (or
    8) and see if it runs.

    TVeblen, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Daave

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:47:48 +0000, (Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+) wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> All right Meat. Let us keep it civil, shall we? Anyway, I will
    >>> readily acknowledge that every computer problem that has ever existed
    >>> could have been fixed by adding more RAM, as you state.

    >> Please quote my post stating "every computer problem that has ever
    >> existed could have been fixed by adding more ram." Use the space I've
    >> left directly below. Be sure to include full header and message ID:
    >>

    > Okay, here is where you told the OP to install more RAM in order to be
    > able to uninstall Firefox. I don't know why you are claiming that was
    > not your advice, Meat Plow.

    Please quote my post where I claimed "Install more ram" was *not* my
    advice. Use the space below and provide full headers. And since you
    failed to find and quote my post stating "every computer problem that has
    ever existed could have been fixed by adding more ram." you'll need to
    find the right post clearly making that exact statement and post it below
    with headers:

    Meat Plow, Apr 20, 2006
  17. Daave

    winger Guest

    seams like some trolls have moved in... :)

    winger, Apr 20, 2006