Unable to understand network trouble

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. I posted a message before, but did not get an answer that resolves the
    problems.
    The configuration: D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable
    modem. The network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to
    the router,
    a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in Intel 2200 BG WLAN adapter, and a
    desktop
    running
    Win XP Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 wireless adapter.
    All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
    Firewalls are turned off, "My Document" folders and external drives
    (connected to desktop) are made
    "shared".
    I can not ping the desktop from the laptop, get a time out.
    From the laptop I can access My Documents on the desktop and a 2nd partiton
    on the C drive. I can not access the external drives (network path not
    found). Access to the 2 shared folders however is not constant. It may
    suddenly happen that I get a Network Path not found.
    When I display the workgroup from the laptop, ONLY the laptop is shown.

    I can not ping the laptop from the desktop. I have no access to shares
    (Network path not found)
    The workgroup does display both laptop and desktop.

    I have tried classsic sharing using the Win XP Pro features, and have tried
    simple sharing. Neither one works.

    What might the problem be? Why can I access 2 shares from the laptop, but
    not ping the desktop from the laptop?
    How do I solve this? I have run all tests, and network configuration is
    correct. In turning the firewalls (Sygate) on and checking the log after
    trying to access or ping the other PC, I do see that the access was passed by
    the firewall. So, something in win xp must be blocking everything.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Hi
    Try to add NetBEUI as an additional sharing protocol.
    http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 11, 2006

  3. Hello Jack,

    A new problem added on the 2 PCs, without changing anything to the setup,
    without installing new software.
    When I try to peek, I get the message "'peek' is not recognized as an
    internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I have googled
    for this, but can not find anything. It happened on both PCs at about the
    same time.
    What caused this, and how do I get rid of it?
    I will add the NetBEUI and see what happens.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 13, 2006