Unable to switch to Newsgroup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pam, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Pam

    Pam Guest

    I just added a new account and this is what I get when I try to download
    messages:
    Outlook Express was unable to switch to the newsgroup 'alt, etc.' on the
    server "News.Individual.Net".
    Details given are as follows:
    480 Authentication required
    Configuration:
    Account News.Individual.Net
    Server: news.individual.net
    Protocol: NNTP
    Secure (SSL): 0
    Error Number 480
    Code 800ccca4
    My other news servers, msnews and netnews seem to be fine. I received an
    email yesterday telling me that I had to change to this account from one I
    had been using, as they had split the account. I can't remember the exact
    name of the original group, but it was something with CS and DE in the name
    if I recall. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Pam
    Pam, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Pam

    Rifleman Guest

    " Pam" <> wrote in message
    > I just added a new account and this is what I get when I try to download
    > messages:
    > Outlook Express was unable to switch to the newsgroup 'alt, etc.' on the
    > server "News.Individual.Net".
    > Details given are as follows:
    > 480 Authentication required
    > Configuration:
    > Account News.Individual.Net
    > Server: news.individual.net
    > Protocol: NNTP
    > Secure (SSL): 0
    > Error Number 480
    > Code 800ccca4
    > My other news servers, msnews and netnews seem to be fine. I received an
    > email yesterday telling me that I had to change to this account from one I
    > had been using, as they had split the account. I can't remember the exact
    > name of the original group, but it was something with CS and DE in the

    name
    > if I recall. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it.
    > Thanks,
    > Pam

    You need to enter your Username and password that you originally used for
    news.CIS.DFN.de.
    news.individua.net is the new news server instead of news.CIS.DFN.de
    Rifleman, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Pam

    Ionizer Guest

    " Pam" <> wrote in message
    > I just added a new account and this is what I get when I try to download
    > messages:
    > Outlook Express was unable to switch to the newsgroup 'alt, etc.' on the
    > server "News.Individual.Net".
    > Details given are as follows:
    > 480 Authentication required
    > Configuration:
    > Account News.Individual.Net
    > Server: news.individual.net
    > Protocol: NNTP
    > Secure (SSL): 0
    > Error Number 480
    > Code 800ccca4
    > My other news servers, msnews and netnews seem to be fine. I received an
    > email yesterday telling me that I had to change to this account from one I
    > had been using, as they had split the account. I can't remember the exact
    > name of the original group, but it was something with CS and DE in the

    name
    > if I recall. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it.

    *Delete* that account, formerly known as News.CIS.DFN.DE and open a new
    account News.Individual.Net, using your previous user name and password from
    the News.CIS.DFN.DE account.

    HTH,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Pam

    Pam Guest

    Many thanks, guys. Now if I can just locate that user name and password!!

    Pam, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Pam

    Ionizer Guest

    " Pam" <> wrote in message
    > Many thanks, guys. Now if I can just locate that user name and password!!

    I was able to locate mine in my pile of paper archives, but I was lucky.
    It's pretty easy to register for a new account with them, though:
    http://news.individual.net/

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Pam

    anthonyberet Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > " Pam" <> wrote in message
    >> Many thanks, guys. Now if I can just locate that user name and
    >> password!!

    > I was able to locate mine in my pile of paper archives, but I was
    > lucky. It's pretty easy to register for a new account with them,
    > though: http://news.individual.net/

    They ask that you mail them for a reminder of your account details rather
    than sign up again.
    anthonyberet, Feb 21, 2004

    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Pam

    Pam Guest

    I did finally locate the password and user name that was given me when I
    first signed up. It works great now. Thanks a million to both of you!!!
    Pam

    Pam, Feb 21, 2004
  9. Pam

    Rifleman Guest

    "Misa Mirkovic" <> wrote in message

    > " Pam" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > I just added a new account and this is what I get when I try to download
    > > messages:
    > > Outlook Express was unable to switch to the newsgroup 'alt, etc.' on the
    > > server "News.Individual.Net".
    > > Details given are as follows:
    > > 480 Authentication required
    > > Configuration:
    > > Account News.Individual.Net
    > > Server: news.individual.net
    > > Protocol: NNTP
    > > Secure (SSL): 0
    > > Error Number 480
    > > Code 800ccca4
    > > My other news servers, msnews and netnews seem to be fine. I received

    an
    > > email yesterday telling me that I had to change to this account from one

    > > had been using, as they had split the account. I can't remember the

    exact
    > > name of the original group, but it was something with CS and DE in the

    > name
    > > if I recall. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Pam

    You have just posted ELEVEN replies in this news group with NOTHING in the
    body.

    Please at least type SOMETHING when you reply.

    Thank you.
    Rifleman, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Pam

    Ionizer Guest

    "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > You have just posted ELEVEN replies in this news group with NOTHING in the
    > body.
    >
    > Please at least type SOMETHING when you reply.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Join the club and plonk it/her. I'm not sure what the point of the Misa
    activity is, but it does seem to be something deliberate.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Pam

    Rifleman Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    > > You have just posted ELEVEN replies in this news group with NOTHING in

    the
    > > body.
    > >
    > > Please at least type SOMETHING when you reply.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > Join the club and plonk it/her. I'm not sure what the point of the Misa
    > activity is, but it does seem to be something deliberate.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I just have - I've just seen a load more.
    Rifleman, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Pam

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:53:52 -0500, Ionizer wrote:

    >"Rifleman" <> wrote in message
    >> You have just posted ELEVEN replies in this news group with NOTHING in the
    >> body.
    >>
    >> Please at least type SOMETHING when you reply.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    >Join the club and plonk it/her. I'm not sure what the point of the Misa
    >activity is, but it does seem to be something deliberate.

    Deliberate newsgroup flood. Reported to chello.at. Whether it'll do any good or
    not, though, is anyone's guess.

    --
    What we need are a couple of good hangings.
    -- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam
    Mara, Feb 22, 2004